Killing party members to finishing quickly

Suggestion

Why is it that some people fill it necessary to zerg on ahead leaving party members behind where they are more likely to die especially by traps activated by the zergers and/or by enemies activated by the zergers? (I'm not talking about griefers.) HC is not a regular server. Dying has real consequences.

Please everyone take 15 minutes to finish a quest that can be done in 10 minutes on a normal server if it means that instead of a 10% chance of someone (usually not the zerger) dying instead of a 0.001% chance of dying when playing a little slower.

Rakehell

It is nice when someone forms a group (or joins)+ and at least let's others know he/she wants to zerg. As you point out, it can be costly to others.

Usually I ask if anyone is zerging, then either drop out (politely) of go with it if I can zerg too. If no one makes it clear, I am usually out fast. Lol. I zerg my way out of the group!

Buddha5440

Regardless of what many will say (ie. R1 is the new "Norm"), Zerging is NOT the norm and as such should be posted in any LFM's rather than suggesting that us Muggle massess post with "No Zerging".

I guess it just takes too long for them to type in those few extra letters. I can only imagine how it hurts their XP/min. :)

My advice...If you find someone Zerging in an LFM that was not posted as Zerging (especially if you are the leader)...simply recall (before completion) and disband.

Silverfox

Why is it that some people fill it necessary to zerg on ahead leaving party members behind where they are more likely to die especially by traps activated by the zergers and/or by enemies activated by the zergers? (I'm not talking about griefers.) HC is not a regular server. Dying has real consequences.

Please everyone take 15 minutes to finish a quest that can be done in 10 minutes on a normal server if it means that instead of a 10% chance of someone (usually not the zerger) dying instead of a 0.001% chance of dying when playing a little slower.
I will never understand why players who are not capable of zerging stay in groups where people are zerging. If the big dogs are out running you recall and drop group server does not matter at all live hardcore or otherwise. I don't remember the last quest that took me 10 minutes to complete on live or hardcore other than a long slog fest when people insist on doing worthless optionals. Then they wonder why when the turn around they find themselves half way back in the quest complaining they can't handle it alone.

Silverfox

Regardless of what many will say (ie. R1 is the new "Norm"), Zerging is NOT the norm and as such should be posted in any LFM's rather than suggesting that us Muggle massess post with "No Zerging".

I guess it just takes too long for them to type in those few extra letters. I can only imagine how it hurts their XP/min. :)

My advice...If you find someone Zerging in an LFM that was not posted as Zerging (especially if you are the leader)...simply recall (before completion) and disband.
I have played on every server except wayfinder and have always found zerging is the 'Norm' it is strange how many who don't like zerging insist that those that do announce it like they are doing something wrong. They are playing the game the way they like it is not up to them to conform to your playstyle even if they join your group. Simply let them die and leave them where they died or recall and reform and put them on your ignore list. It doesn't take any longer to add Zerg to an LFM than it does to hit the recall button.

The Narc

Lol i literally have zerg in my name on hardcore, and zerg everything on reaper 2.

This season i have barely played and still have advanced my 3 toons(one main public, one main pd halls and one ftp pd halls). I dont see any fathomable reason to die in hardcore with hirelings and twinked out gear even if it is first life, i mean all my toons dont even run in guilds with any notable ship buffs. This hardcore season is definitely softcore.

Marshal_Lannes

The difficult part about this topic is that zerging is hard to define. You are looking for a standard on how much time it takes to complete a quest. That metric is going to vary widely based on player skill, metaknowledge, and build. What might be zerging to me is normal speed for someone else and my speed might be zerging for a different player. Communication, especially on hardcore, is effective. Many players will accommodate you if you ask them to slow down or if you say the speed at which we are moving through this dungeon is making me uncomfortable. Rare is the player that wants anyone to die in their group.

Br4d

The solution is do not group unless you are in content that requires a group. I'm not sure anything that you need to run qualifies in this particular HCL.

hanul

Do you imply that doing r1 is equal to "zerging" or do you mean that people tend to consider r1 equal to "zerging"?

The Narc

Do you imply that doing r1 is equal to "zerging" or do you mean that people tend to consider r1 equal to "zerging"?
Zerging is basically running content at full tilt with little to no fear of any of the mobs/traps. Solo or grouping doesnt matter it just mayters the approach to the content on hardcore first life R2 is the norm for our groups power zerging content.

Buddha5440

Not sure how you got that from my post. I was simply giving an example of what is on the forums which many, likely most, don't post on. Do not consider the forums as an accurate description of the player base.

You should post what is expected if it is not in the "Norm" Reaper is not in the "Norm" because of the simple fact it is Reaper and hence it has it's own selector. Zerging is not the "Norm" either.

Zerging is not in the "Norm" because it's just not. The simple fact that a qualifier like "Zerging" is used means it is not the "Norm". Normal circumstances do not need a qualifier. The reason you don't see non Zerg LFM's is because a lot of people are tired of having their experience ruined by someone joining a "GROUP" and running the quest solo by zerging even when the post states "NO ZERGING" (there should be a way to report those who do this).
Simply post as "Gonna Zerg, Zerg, or not newbie friendly".

Zerging in LFM's is what is killing new players' interest in the game. They die because someone ran ahead and left a ton of mobs behind that they couldn't handle because they were facing mobs that they didn't spawn.

Have some civility and simply post that you are going to zerg and don't zerg in LFM's that don't post as "Zerging". It's as simple as that.

popejubal

Zerging is not the norm. Moving at a “not zerging” pace (whatever that happens to mean to you) is not the norm. Flower sniffing is not the norm.

Because there is no norm.

DDO was made with a variety of difficulty levels and has even more difficulty levels now. Any difficulty level from Casual through R10 is normal. And any completion speed that someone wants to go is normal whether it takes them 1/2 hour to complete Havedasher or they’re breaking new speed records for a quest.

Play the game the way you enjoy it and make your own preferences known if you only want to move at a certain pace. You don’t get to decide what to be norm is for the player base as a whole. Neither do I. If people are moving too fast or too slow for my tastes, I’ll let people know that I prefer a different speed and there’s nothing wrong with what they’re doing, but I’m going to drop and solo or drop and find/make a group that fits my style.

Bottom line: if you want to play a specific way, that’s cool. Just make sure you communicate that and don’t get bent out of shape if someone else wants to play differently.

popejubal

Zerging is basically running content at full tilt with little to no fear of any of the mobs/traps. Solo or grouping doesnt matter it just mayters the approach to the content on hardcore first life R2 is the norm for our groups power zerging content.
I think the topic of Zerging would find a lot more consensus if people had a common definition, but I have seen that different people can have wildly different definitions including:
A) anything faster than crawling along at stealth pace and single pulling mobs that are in a pack while also doing every optional.
B) moving with +30% speed (attainable at level 1) and killing every pack of monsters but skipping some optionals
C) sprinting as hard as possible with sprint boosts and killing almost every monster but leaving a few scattered ones behind because they’re not dangerous and also very annoying/slow to kill
D) sprinting as hard as possible with sprint boosts and killing the bare minimum required to keep duungeon alert at red for only short periods of time. Dragging mobs to die from AoE attacks in large packs mandatory because killing one at a time is too slow.

Edit: I should mention that I like your definition and I agree with it. I was writing this post too fast and forgot to say that. Zerging the forums!

The Narc

I think the topic of Zerging would find a lot more consensus if people had a common definition, but I have seen that different people can have wildly different definitions including:
A) anything faster than crawling along at stealth pace and single pulling mobs that are in a pack while also doing every optional.
B) moving with +30% speed (attainable at level 1) and killing every pack of monsters but skipping some optionals
C) sprinting as hard as possible with sprint boosts and killing almost every monster but leaving a few scattered ones behind because they’re not dangerous and also very annoying/slow to kill
D) sprinting as hard as possible with sprint boosts and killing the bare minimum required to keep duungeon alert at red for only short periods of time. Dragging mobs to die from AoE attacks in large packs mandatory because killing one at a time is too slow.

Edit: I should mention that I like your definition and I agree with it. I was writing this post too fast and forgot to say that. Zerging the forums!

We generally run somewhere B and D depending in how much the extra xp bonuses add to the reaper xp and how long it takes fornthose bonuses. In all cases we worry not about any threat from the trash mob/champs/reapers, just move fast and kill anything in the way.

We do not buy any ships or xp pots, basically no money is spent on hardcore by any of my team, and will continue on this vowed approach until they either give ranged attack big room clearing AOE or remove them from the casters. The nerf to improved precise shot was an insult to the player when casters can annihilate whole rooms.

I teach many players who to move fast and win at the game without spending any money because i dont like to be insulted(improved precise shot nerf while caster AOE is ridiculous). It will continue until the devs find a solution! We as the layers do have the power to impact the devs we just have to stand strong and united(the last example of this was thentokens of the twelve)

Last edited:

Buddha5440

A) is a non sequitur, as you can't single pull mobs anymore.

B) Should not be done unless the LFM (or you posted the LFM without the Zerging tag), was posted as Zerging. If you didn't create the LFM you should comply with the leader.

C) That does not happen... You sprint through room but rarelt do you kill "almost every monster".

D)If you made the LFM and posted it as Zerging, that is fine.

Bottom line, If you are not the leader of the LFM, YOU DO WHATEVER THE LEADER ASKS in the LFM.

I have my fire shield on so let the flames come.

C-Dog

Why is it that some people...
I'm sorry - have you not met the internet? :unsure:

It's because there are all kinds of people, and some are just not considerate, at any level. Simple (and sad) as that.

I will never understand why players who are not capable of zerging stay in groups where people are zerging...
This.

I've quit many parties in HC because I don't trust other party members, either by what they do/don't do, or what they say/don't say. Don't be shy about it, a bad party member can be more deadly than the mobs. ;)

Zerging is basically running content at full tilt with little to no fear of any of the mobs/traps.
No.

This is what I call a "zerg puppy", someone who thinks that is all it takes, like puppies running for the food bowl. Some simple quests, yes, that is all that's needed, but on many it takes more to successful zerging than just leaning on the [w] button.