King of the Hill PvP maps

Silverhilt

I propose a new form of PvP with circular maps where the objective is to control and defend centre for as long time as possible. Outer rim has spawnpoints for 12 people and on the way to centre you may run into another player and start fighting, or maybe you are lucky to find an offensive buff along the way. The offensive buffs are needed to have an edge against the current King as he has defensive perks while holding centre. If he has offensive buffs picked up he will have an edge against attackers, but his buffs might run out. The strategy can be if you leave centre to go look for more buffs and then return, or if you just hold position and lose buffs.

A caster can stand on the outside of centre and nuke the king, If king is mellee he has to leave centre to kill caster. Mellee players who challenge the king has to move in close, but only get King status when current King is dead. When dead you get sent to random spawnpoint. I hope the maps could be varied in the landscape, but getting to the centre could be a challenge in itself or it could be an open Yester Hill where you can run straight up from all sides.

Here it a rough sketch up :) You think it could work?

Willsave20

WannaBeGameDev
Unfortunately I do not believe DDO is equipped to be a PVP game. When it comes to PVP, there are going to be the powerhouse builds that people build specifically for dominating PVP. Even with the amount of different abilities in this game, when it comes to PVP, people can and will just build for incapacating/instakill. Look at games like Destiny 2 or Diablo IV and you'll see what I mean. DDO is just not the type of game that PVP would be relevant. Deathmatches in taverns arent even really a thing anymore. You have an OK concept with both strengths and weaknesses, it just doesnt seem to be designed for this game.

Coffey

Looks like it could be a lot of fun! There would have to be a balancing to the players damage when playing this. Some gear and weapons specifically made for it that only work in the arena for example.

Reminds me of SRO battle arena.

Dude

Unfortunately I do not believe DDO is equipped to be a PVP game. When it comes to PVP, there are going to be the powerhouse builds that people build specifically for dominating PVP. With the amount of different abilities in this game, there would arguably only be one type of pvp. Look at games like Destiny 2 or Diablo IV and you'll see what I mean. DDO is just not the type of game that PVP would be relevant. Deathmatches in taverns arent even really a thing anymore. It's an OK concept with strengths and weaknesses, just not for this game.
You're literally in the PvP section of the DDO forums.

Willsave20

WannaBeGameDev
You're literally in the PvP section of the DDO forums.
Ok. Cool. The design could work if several things were changed about this game to accompany this design. I'm not saying PvP doesnt belong in this game. It simply isnt the main focus.

Dunspartacus

This looks honestly really cool, and I especially love the weighing of risk/reward on offense/defense, feels like it would actually lead to some cool gameplay that we don't really have in the game currently.

That said, I gotta agree with others this game would need some SERIOUS rebalancing to make PvP viable. Me and a friend recently mucked around in a tavern pvp area while we waited for a guildie to come online and our matches pretty much boiled down to "who lands CC on the other first wins." If I got dire charge off on him? That druid is done. If he got BoG of on me? That fighter is finished (ok I was primarily paladin with a bard/fighter splash but alliteration makes my two braincells happy). The biggest problem was our defensive capabilities were wildly inadequate compared to the enemies offensive, and thats probably just the tip of the iceberg as far as things like class balance would go.

Not against the idea by any means, would absolutely love some new gameplay variety, and it's clear they at least at some point had pvp in their minds, but just not sure how much of SSGs limited manpower/time the balancing would take.

PersonMan

Looks like it could be a lot of fun! There would have to be a balancing to the players damage when playing this. Some gear and weapons specifically made for it that only work in the arena for example.

Reminds me of SRO battle arena.

Nice to see another SRO player.

Coffey

The game was always more focused on PVE and has never had much PvP orientation
When i played leveling was mostly botting and farming at end game.

Then after all that BS trading/thiefing, guild wars and PVP with other players.

Oh and unique hunting was the PVE part of it for me and most players at that time.

Silverhilt

Doesn't mean the game was built for PvP it is inherently unfair in PvP
It is true it is unfair as various abilities arent really balanced against eachother, but what if we could have some team PvP? I had a suggestion about other forms of PvP in the old forum, but it went sort of like this: 2 6man parties. 2 identical dungeons. Time trial, but with actions affecting the other party's map. For instance rogue could place traps and they become active on opposing teams map. And killing a pack of mobs on mapA spawns a pack on mapB etc. PvP as in competing to clear a dungeon the fastest?

PvE as in you arent facing the other 6man team, but party actions could affect other teams run somehow... I compared it to versus mode in old Tetris, where if you score a Tetris on your screen opponents screen raises 4 steps. Or some mario kart inspired with different buffs, here in King of Hill I suggest cannith challenges buffs which we already have like quad damage and such. Id like to think we could come up with some new variations of PvP other than just capture the flag etc.

ANd why no airship battles yet? :p