fireball241_jt

What quests come close?

Sub quests

in the middle of a castle siege?
Armies going at it?
Arial combatants during the battle?

I want " battle of five armies"
battle for minas tirith

Let's take a city back or castle or dwarf mountain.

Not 6 or 12 taking on everything. I want to be in the middle of 1000s against 1000s
More background npc combat.

Numbers
Numbers
Numbers

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
Attack on Stormreach & missions in the Storm Horns would be the closest that come to my mind?

I don't think you'll ever see an epic size battles. I get the impression that DDO is designed to be more on the "intimate" side of combat (small groups). Part of that is perhaps because of the system requirements that would be required (I get the impression that not everyone has a really beefy or even mildly decent video card for example) and also due to the lag that might be inherent in something of that caliber.

Dude

What quests come close?

Sub quests

in the middle of a castle siege?
Armies going at it?
Arial combatants during the battle?

I want " battle of five armies"
battle for minas tirith

Let's take a city back or castle or dwarf mountain.

Not 6 or 12 taking on everything. I want to be in the middle of 1000s against 1000s
More background npc combat.

Numbers
Numbers
Numbers
LOTRO has a whole expansion like that, minus the flying mounts.

Palumtra

Definitely A Member
I don't think the game's engine (and the servers) could handle large scale battles with hundreds of npcs acting. Maybe in segmented parts but in one whole? Nah

fireball241_jt

I don't think the game's engine (and the servers) could handle large scale battles with hundreds of npcs acting. Maybe in segmented parts but in one whole? Nah
Yeah, but is it a server thing or a computer thing? Having an old engine with old graphics might be an advantage.

heavyaslead

I think this could be done.

The Devil battlefield would be a grand place to have that option

The actual client and server side would show cinematics of the hoards of combatants, but they would not spawn until within aggro range

The game seems to have a limit on number of active AI at one time, but really no limit on spawnings or cinematic views of dynamic action going on around

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I agree, though it's not due to the engine itself so much as it is the stupid alert system and poor ai. Basically it boils down more to poorly optimized and un-updated coding. A huge large scale battle would trigger and instant red alert and probably crash the server, or freeze it up, not to mention the npc would simply be constantly running circles around one another instead of actually fighting due to the new ai or whatever it is. It would look more like a xoriat tea party with the mad hatter as the host than an mmo game battle.

Alco

They kind of did that sort of thing with the devil attack on the marketplace event back in the mists of time (2010?). It was essentially an open battlefield in the marketplace where anyone could jump in. Caused some pretty significant lag, though.

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
I doubt the game has enough players for this even if they manage to reduce the lag.

Cheers,
Titus.
You might be correct, if online sources are correct ddo is dipping below 20k players a day. Meaning they're starting to compete with amazon's 'new world' for lowest player count mmo I guess.

Geezer

LOL, you should have seen the original Marbar festival, plenty of people killing all kinds of stuff in Deleras graveyard, and the absolute pinnacle of lag! You didn't want to try to run a raid while that was going on.

Bracelet

One of the most challenging quests in terms of sheer numbers on a small field, with diverse combatants, is Weapons Shipment. It is specifically excluded from Dungeon Alert because of the intentionally high mob density. There is no zerging to the end of this quest; everything has to die. People have odd memories about this quest sometimes. They remember it being easy, but they were surely in a group with strong, prepared players. It is not easy. At level, reaper 1, is a challenge for the best of players. Play in a group of 4 -that maximizes the mobs to player ratio.

seph1roth5

New weapons shipment is much better. The old one had a protect the npc aspect (that is always awful) that fails the quest if they die (which is even more always awful).