List of content with instakill mechanics or notable ways to easily die

Careall

Teleport - The teleport spell/clickies/scrolls fail on a 1 which will put you high above the marketplace, likely leading to death from fall damage if you do not have featherfall equipped or successfully teleport again before hitting the ground
How to survive a fall:

Jumping off the front of the guild ship into the market or via a failed teleport will deliver roughly 85 points of damage* to a toon that has at least some tumble skill**, so it's far from an instakill for most toons using a teleport spell or even scroll. Other than "bottomless pit" type falls that only instakill, that seems to be the terminal velocity for the game: if you have any tumble skill and 90 HP, you're likely to survive any fall not into lava or other dotting substance.

*Your toon can bounce from a fall and take x2 damage, so 170+ HP is advised if you want to test it in HC. You can also aim for the edge of the bridge in the market and take [almost] no damage.
**I've not tested this fall with toons not having at least 1 tumble skill.

Careall

Level 4 - Irestone Inlet - If you don't run away from the ship after lighting the torch you will die

Not advisable, but it is survivable with enough HP and resistance. I did "test" this last season with only +2 levels and died. Previous tests at +4 levels did survive.

Careall

Level 7 - Sorrowdusk - Falling off trap bridge in parts 3 and 4 means you die in lava, there is no way back out other than DDoor or Teleport
How to survive falling into lava:

Having experienced the slow-burning death of swimming around in lava in HC, I can say there is probably no worse death that isn't from lag or a bug.

For any fall-in-lava scenario, have a Jump buff always on or a high jump skill along with a teleport. You can get a teleport wand in the DDO store for those who cannot cast teleport or lower levels. If you can't jump out of the lava long enough to finish casting, you're going nowhere - except to the LoLS. Resist and Absorb Fire (or whatever element is appropriate) are useful in many situations, so keep them on too.

For the Twelve, you can swim out. Practice knowing where on another server. The ramp out is near the path that leads back to the ship/market but on the White Plume "other" quests (Treasure, Freedom, Big Deal, Memory) side.

Careall

Level 11 - Oath of Vengeance - Standing in the beams of light from the mirror puzzles will kill you, be especially careful when activating the light

The same goes for the beams in the mirror puzzle room in Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords, Level 8 (Pt. 3 Slave Lords chain). The beams do a lot of disintegrate damage and are not technically instadeath. You caaannn pass through the beams without getting hit, but since you can't tell when the damage pulse occurs, it's risky. That said, if you accidentally end up in one, get out quickly.

In the same quest, the two Cunning Gelatinous Cubes in the pit make for a deadly combination. Inside a Gelatinous Cube, I think you are considered "helpless" and take the extra damage. They also slow you down. While there is a ladder in the pit to get out, it's a slow climb because you're inside the cubes.

Careall

Level 14 - Prison of the Planes - Being in the lawful room if not lawful will kill you. The first person to touch the relic at the end will advance the quest but if any other party member touches the relic afterwards, they will be instakilled.

In PoP, in the Symbol of the Plane of Lamannia, the air elementals and djinn can push you into the barrier, which does a lot of damage. I haven't tested the survivability of being knocked into the barrier - yet. Fight with your back to the far wall if you're not interested in testing if the barrier does instant-death levels of damage.

Edit: Picking up the relic the second time using only your left hand will prevent you from dying. If you don't know how to pick it up using your left hand, don't try it.

mn--

Anyone else notice that there's an instakill-capable enemy in a base level 2 quest? (If you fail a save I think?)

Total Chaos, Queen Hera the Medusa. Stone Gaze attack kills by direct effect, not by zeroing HP. Saw that happen the other day on HC (on Elite so effective level 4, I suppose - should be tested if she does that on the easier difficulties)

Safer to just skip the post-end optional.

I'll add a general note to just wear deathblock at all times. I'd say by the time you get to level 5 quests and onwards.
Someone check if that saves you from the medusa's gaze?

Last edited:

GrayJedi AntiProPaladin

yeaaaah actually don't even need to interact with medusa at all or go in that room both before nor after quest complete... I see the room with the petrified to Stone person and just turn around and walk away

according to DDOwiki, that optional is worth only 3% xp so very little reward for a lot of Risk for base level 2 quest
  • (Optional) Have words with the Medusa — Bonus (3%)

Last edited:

The Narc

Not that i usually assist a streamer in any way or a guy smilie or rimstrommer friend,
But here are some more tips;

As mentioned before several times in this thread the ballista in TOEE part 1

For quests genesis point the bright white beam graphic that is located in the middle of the maze that goes to the ceiling is an instadeath.

For encounter areas the red glowing area with the 3 step on pads that take down the barrier in front of the quest in subterranean encounter area

Also could suggest adding the several different DOT effects located in raids that if not handled in an appropriate manner will lead to certain death.

The Narc

JustHavingFunBro

Beams in Thunderholme. Just assume any beam will kill you.

Magma Brute. He hits hard enough to put casters down in one hit.

Epic VON2. The weird invisible "trap" before the giant. If someone else is already fighting him, you will die if you try to enter. Surely, this is just another bug that they decline to fix in one of our weekly "patches". Maybe we need a popular streamer to die to this for them to look into it.

Sunken Sewers - Nasty poison trap with no box. Not sure why people even risk this quest for such low favor.

Redfang - More nasty poison traps. There are some boxes, but it only turns off half the room. I would avoid unless you know this quest really well. Low favor. No reason to risk it if you don't know it very well.

Binders and Repossesion - Pretty insane traps. Do not attempt this chain without a good trapper.

STK - Do not attempt final quest without a good trapper.

WW - Lots of traps. Bring a trapper or know how to set the traps off to avoid them.

Col Kurtz

One the big Killers in hardcore is a Player that Zergs ahead and doesn't really know the dungeon really well. ...and they say there's no /death button, I see players hitting it all the time like a free bar at a wedding. :)

deuxanes

Level 7 - Sorrowdusk - Falling off trap bridge in parts 3 and 4 means you die in lava, there is no way back out other than DDoor or Teleport

There are 2 safe spots on the bridge. You can test it on the regular servers if you don't believe me. Either way (crossing the bridge via jumping to the safe spots or jumping and gliding to the other side left of the bridge) you need some skills with jump.

Level 10 - Restless Isles - Falling off bridge or islands in the wilderness instakills

I can only hope the Devs fix that some day. It's obvious you just fall/ glide down into water. Why would that kill you?