loot sorter project

Sawchain

Recently I have been preparing for my second racial TR and spent all day working on my bank inventory and mules to organize all I have and use reincarnation cash space most effectively. It gave me an idea of an application (computer program) that could automatically compare stored loot and detect items with identical or similar stats, detect which one of several similar items is better depending on it’s bonuses of same type level requirements and such. I remember times seven years ago, when I started playing this game, when all items used to be handmade and calculated by developers. It was much easier back then to understand which one of similar items is best for your needs and sell the rest in time not to overflow available storage space. Nowdays most loot items are random generated and their stats are randomized in simplest possible fashion. It often gives strange results like item with better stats of same type having lower level requiremants and such. It became a true pain to sort out through the loot. Especially if you need to do it fast and effective. I know a thing or two about programming on Python and C++ and I could try creating an application more or less solving the problem, which is my worst nightmare in this game and I’m certain that I’m not alone, but I need a way to get input data for my program from within the game. I have tried getting it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program and screenshot with item description, but it turned out the process is too complicated and unreliable all by itself to use it for creation of a large item database. It is much faster and simpler to type in the data by hand, but in that case it is simpler again just to browse through the stored loot and sort it out at the same time what I already did. My hope are the links, you can paste into game chat to give item description to someone else. Again I know a thing or two about how it works and I’m certain that the link is an identifier of an actual item record within game server database and that, when you click the link in chat, game server actually sends text of the item’s description to game client for it to create the graphical description window you see. I just don’t know where else, whom and how to ask the same questions to find out if there is actually a way to get the information in text format instead of getting it as a graphic representation.
If anyone reading this post happen to know people who are into creation of such small handmade programs for assisting game process and making it easier (like for example fan made ddo character builder which was recognized by game developers as official), or anyone who might know such people, please ask them to contact me either here on forum or via ingame mail on Ghalanda server, if they can and will want to help me in any way with my small project.
Thanks in advance to anyone for help.

Sawchain

The site is really interesting. Their Trove tool looks close to what I want to create. But I haven't seen any contacts of the project teem on the web site. Do I have to just search for them with google somehow, or there is something I do not see?

Onyxia2016

Trove worked very well but when the bank was redone last it broke much of the functionality.
I still hold out hope they will get it working again some day.

As for the OCR approach that is a tall order. Did some programing with OCR long ago (not in DDO). The issues I ran into centered around the screenshots/images from various workstations. Changes in resolution between workstations really screwed with the accuracy.

As I see it the best approach would be to get only the item name then hit up DDOWiki for the detailed information.
There is a DDO Named Gear Planner project in the old forums. It is open source with GitHub link . It has not been updated in awhile.
I had to make changes to it to include Vecna gear. It is written in C

Best chance would be a screen grab from the inventory list view which has just the item name on a dark background.
Same process could work for bank tabs. In both cases you would need to exclude numbers (quantity) from the start of the item names.
Before going to far down the rabbit hole on this I would recommend doing a manual screenshot and see how OCR does. If it works out well you can then look a automating the process.

Since this is using a screen shot I do not think it is a violation of the T&C, however some dev input should be sought just to be safe.

Ying

Well-respected member
The site is really interesting. Their Trove tool looks close to what I want to create. But I haven't seen any contacts of the project teem on the web site. Do I have to just search for them with google somehow, or there is something I do not see?
The DH/Trove devs are very active on their Discord.

Mobius

Something like this would be nice, but what I really, really would be happy with is an inventory export to text file function. Or to .CSV if you want to fancy it up a bit. Any format that I can manipulate & search how I want to would be ideal, keeping in mind that I want to have inventory from multiple characters in one place where I can search, sort and locate things with relative ease.

YeeboF

Something like this would be nice, but what I really, really would be happy with is an inventory export to text file function. Or to .CSV if you want to fancy it up a bit. Any format that I can manipulate & search how I want to would be ideal, keeping in mind that I want to have inventory from multiple characters in one place where I can search, sort and locate things with relative ease.
Wouldn't that be nice? Any text file format would be good. DBF, CSV, whatever. Then let us figure it out for ourselves.

If some nice person wants to build an ap, so much the better. But anything would be better than the "log in and check" system we have now.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
The discord is posted in the FAQs on https://dungeonhelper.com/ at the bottom.
Discord Helper Discord
A new version of Dungeon Helper is worked on. The base is working out just fine. The guys are hammering out details and bugs for a while now and they have found ways to make Trove work again.
It is a lot of work and a hobby project besides regular jobs. So it takes a while and we hope for your patience.
Input, suggestions and hands-on help is welcomed.

Cheers,
Titus