magic missile spammer still feasible for heroics?

drjoans

kinda-known member
I need to get some wizard lives done and was wondering if a mm spammer would work nowadays. was thinking like an 18/2 wiz/fvs for just rewards and scourge, some feydark for more crit. Any suggestions? he'll prob be wf.

Dunspartacus

So I recently did a run of a evocation based AM wizard with the recent update to the tree and was honestly impressed by how much millage I got from magic missile and chain missile as SLA's. To be fair both fell off, they're scaling is pretty awful, but they lasted quite a bit longer than I thought they would, and the build still had some pretty good force damage from arcane bolt/blast/tempest in the later levels.

drjoans

kinda-known member
So I recently did a run of a evocation based AM wizard with the recent update to the tree and was honestly impressed by how much millage I got from magic missile and chain missile as SLA's. To be fair both fell off, they're scaling is pretty awful, but they lasted quite a bit longer than I thought they would, and the build still had some pretty good force damage from arcane bolt/blast/tempest in the later levels.
did u go pure fleshy wiz? how was the mana sustain?

Dunspartacus

did u go pure fleshy wiz? how was the mana sustain?
I was pure level 20 wiz, gnome as race for the +2 int, but any race would probably work. Mana was great, each point in AM gives +2 SP, on top of the 100 sp from both feydark and AM tier 1s, and the AM metamagic discounts I was pretty much never running out of SP. Also took 6 points in pale master so I could heal myself, was pretty much entirely self-sustainable.

drjoans

kinda-known member
Update: So I've made a toaster and got it to level 15 so far and its really coming into it. I took 2 levs of FVS at 13 and 14. This gets me a 10temp spell point proc on fire/force crits which is almost always with any of the magic missle skills and 30 spell power for fire/force. with all the metamagic discounts I run with maximize and quicken on all the time. I think on most quests im getting around an extra 1k spell points through procs and use it to fuel things like chain lightning and DBF. The build feels super solid right now, standing 54 evo dc and 388 force/fire sp with 31 crit. Still have another crit to pick up in AOV and maybe some in fey. The Arcane blast hits like a truck every 6 seconds, usually 1200-1800. The extra Spell point proc is so nice, before I was having to shrine even in shorter quests and now i finally feel like I can run most quests without a shrine.

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
Sweet feedback, thanks. I am leveling a bank toon with daily dice but build it as a AM wiz. I might take her out for a spin after all.

Cheers,
Titus

Mokune

Update: So I've made a toaster and got it to level 15 so far and its really coming into it. I took 2 levs of FVS at 13 and 14. This gets me a 10temp spell point proc on fire/force crits which is almost always with any of the magic missle skills and 30 spell power for fire/force. with all the metamagic discounts I run with maximize and quicken on all the time. I think on most quests im getting around an extra 1k spell points through procs and use it to fuel things like chain lightning and DBF. The build feels super solid right now, standing 54 evo dc and 388 force/fire sp with 31 crit. Still have another crit to pick up in AOV and maybe some in fey. The Arcane blast hits like a truck every 6 seconds, usually 1200-1800. The extra Spell point proc is so nice, before I was having to shrine even in shorter quests and now i finally feel like I can run most quests without a shrine.
Thanks for detailing the synergy :)

Onyxia2016

I haven't even looked a MM as a main source of damage since it was nerfed so long ago.
Good to see it making a comeback. It's such a quintessential D&D spell

drjoans

kinda-known member
I haven't even looked a MM as a main source of damage since it was nerfed so long ago.
Good to see it making a comeback. It's such a quintessential D&D spell
honestly the mm isnt really a huge dps, each normally hits for around 40ish(40x5=200) Force missles are better hitting for 100ish (100x4=400) but really those are just used as filler rotation and to proc the temp mana and build stacks for arcane bolt/arcane blast which really carry the build. Double chain missles does help in softening up tanky mobs when others are near, but again just filler in the rotation for the big guns arcane blast, chain lightning, delayed blast fireball, ball lightning. So rotation is usually chain missle SLA(procs 10sp), chain lightning, arcain blast (procs 10sp), DBF can(proc 10sp), ball Lightning then single target Arcane bolt/magic missle SLA/force missle for stragglers which all proc sp.

Smokewolf

The two BIG issues with magic missles in Heroics is that they're capped pretty low, and the subsequent upgrade spells are garbage.