Need some advice

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
So, I made a post a day ago on the old forum and didn't had the chance to see the feedbacks.
I'm a returning player, cameback because of the Promo Dungeonpack... kind a Premium-ish... basically free, missing Hidden Hand, Saltmarsh, Feywild and Isle of Dread. Of those, which is better to buy first for someone that is trying fast leveling 1-20 rinse/repeat aiming to get those Racial Pastlifes Points?

Limited DDO Points... so, trying to spent it right!
Thanks in advance!

Skoltr

I didn't see anything in Hidden Hand as useful gear. I have Saltmarsh, Fey and Isle of those 3- Fey is my favorite just because its visually more beautiful (which keeps me interested and wanting to play ofc) . Personally least favorite is Isle, just don't like it - dinos are cool but I don't like the higher up crafting the gear sets. Any of those 3 give a good xp for lvling up. I'd wiki which gear sets you might like and you'll also be able to see base xp amounts, how many quests etc.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Saltmarsh heroics are more difficult than other quests in that same level bracket (and there's already a bunch of base 3's out there). Feywild is a ton of heroic XP and the gear will hold you from 5 until swapping out at 15 with sharn gear. Dread is solid XP but if you have fey then it's less needed as gear is pretty much covered already (there's some nice Dread heroic gear but it's not really needed). And hidden hand really isn't need for the 1-20 TR cycle. I'd go with Fey myself for the first choice followed by Dread and then SM last given your TR plan.

Livmo

Saltmarsh, because you can still reincarnate at level 30. Gives heroic and epic xp.

IMO Saltmarsh is more fun to play than the others listed. Then again, I also played the module last century and had a good time as well. Saltmarsh is better in DDO than I envisioned back in the day if it became a movie or video game. I was very pleased with the purchase and I look forward to playing each go around of the wheel.​
Pro tip
To save on points you can get consumables from the Vault of Artificers Challenges if you have that:​
https://ddowiki.com/page/Vaults_of_the_Artificers_loot

Scroll to bottom of page to see rewards (of course the rest of page is good stuffs too)

Miscellaneous Rewards​

Consumables​

• Any of 150 non-epic ingredient - Minor Slayer Count Boost Potion
  • Any of 150 non-epic ingredient - Minor Experience Elixir (BtA, 5% experience bonus for 2 hours. Adds 3 hours if you already have one started. Stacks with Voice of the Master, is paused by higher-value Experience Elixirs)
  • Any of 150 non-epic ingredient - Minor Guild Renown Elixir - BtC
  • Any of 150 non-epic ingredient - Minor Crafting Experience Elixir
  • Any of 300 Obsidian Arrowheads/Antique Coins/Crude Talismans/Mephit Wings - Small Crafting Satchel (one-time small amount (1-10) of Cannith Crafting Essences)
  • Any of 300 Jade Scorpions/Illuminated Manuscripts/Necromantic Charms/Enchanted Armor Fragments - Medium Crafting Satchel
  • Any of 300 Crystallized Magma Shards/Jeweled Goblets/Orthon Metal Scraps/Arcanaloth Scrolls - Large Crafting Satchel
  • Various heal/spell buff potions (50-150 non-epic ingredients each stack)

Epic Tokens​

Fhrek

Thanks for the feedbacks!
Yes, I saw the items and as a Blaster Fire/Light Warlock main player, some rings and sceptres in Feywild looks great for the build.

Pro tip
To save on points you can get consumables from the Vault of Artificers Challenges

Don't have it either. Used to run heavy those when was a VIP back in the day, remember it was pretty group oriented. How the ingredients farm is for whom just has solo playtime?

Bjond

missing Hidden Hand, Saltmarsh, Feywild and Isle of Dread. Of those, which is better to buy first for someone that is trying fast leveling 1-20 rinse/repeat aiming to get those Racial Pastlifes

Well, first recommend would be to avoid Racial PL'ing like the plague at least until you're sure that's what you want. I made the same plan as you when first stepping into DDO and am oh so glad I changed it to doing EPIC PLs first. EPLs give far FAR more for much less time. And, you get to spend more time playing in epics, which means playing your full build and playing with vets in hard content -- MUCH more team-style fun than blitzing through heroics wondering where the challenge is.

I'd suggest at least 3x EPLs first, giving raids and some mid~high skull groups a try. This will "school you" in all the various things DDO has to offer and give you a nice solid base for picking a goal, whether that's heavy Racial TR'ing, making a bunch of alts to fit into different raid-roles, or building up a lot of RXP in high-skull groups.

For which expansion to buy, that's harder. Fey the easiest farming for gear sets (via twisted chests), but the gear only works for about L5->L15ish and L29+. Salt has a full range of levels for it's sets with L3, L20, & L29, but the sets are not full-featured -- they're more of a secondary set to match with RL or Sharn. Dread has L7 and L31 sets and they're also v.easy to farm, but pretty much caster-only.

None of those are on sale now. Waiting won't hurt you and might help. Play the game a bit. Likely you'll feel the lack strongly in one of those areas; eg. the guild you join may run lots of dread or fey, which will help you pick one over the other. Or, if you delay long enough, some of those might go on sale and you can pick them up for fewer points.

Aldebarann

Thelanis Player
As suggested above, I would advise you to buy Fey first. Personally it's my favourite expansion after Ravenloft, lots of good gear and lots of nice px. Salt is lvl 3, so you really don't need them give the huge amount of quests already available, and while Dread is nice it's hardly better than Fey equip-wise.

Also, as someone going through Racial PL himself, I suggest you to do 1-30 rather than 1-20: doing 20-30 rinse/repeat for EPL will leave you without first time completion / slayers after the first few repetitions, after which gettin 20-30 is way more tedious than before - unless you throw in a TR to reset those. On the other hand, if you're doing a Racial till 20, gettin your toon to 30 at that stage is fairly quick (and way quicker than the 1-20 path), something that can be fairly easily done in 15-20hrs. And considering that the number of EPL is just slightly above the number of RPL, it is usually smart to do 1-30 for RPL+EPL, and then 15-30 for HPL+IPL. Once you're done with the iconics, you can do 1-30 for HPL+EPL picking up the missing epic ones from your RPL+EPL times while you go on with the rest of the heroics - and while it's true that overall the EPL are pretty nice, if you're for example mainly a caster you definitely won't care about not having all the boosts to AC, or if you're mainly a melee you won't care not having all those boosts to spell crit chance ;)

Fhrek

Thank you for the advices! Appreciate very much!
playing with vets in hard content -- MUCH more team-style fun

I would love that, but my work/study hours are fairly erratics, so can't do parties. Sometimes I have to AFK even in middle of quests... it is a bummer.

I suggest you to do 1-30 rather than 1-20: doing 20-30 rinse/repeat for EPL

My only concern by doing 20-30s is that some quests won't count to gain those juice DDO points to finish buying pack, races and classes. While doing 1-20s is garantee that will gather at least 2500-3000 Favor points per life.

TrinityTurtle

Here's the thing, you can level to 30 without any of them. We did it just fine before Saltmarsh, Feywild, and Isle of dread were added. So basically it's a what do you want to play? Saltmarsh is a pirate theme, Feywild is obviously fey and a lot of whimsy and if you don't like whimsy this is not for you, and isle of dread is Dinosaurs! All of them are good packs, but none of them are necessary for the leveling. It's a choice of content that frees you up from doing other content. There is so much xp in the game now people make it to level 30 on the regular with less than 2000 total favor. There is a little over 7600 total favor now I believe, so you can see how much of the game you never have to do at all to get to the top.

Livmo

Thanks for the feedbacks!
Yes, I saw the items and as a Blaster Fire/Light Warlock main player, some rings and sceptres in Feywild looks great for the build.

Don't have it either. Used to run heavy those when was a VIP back in the day, remember it was pretty group oriented. How the ingredients farm is for whom just has solo playtime?
They can be soloed. I prefer to run it with toons that have DDoor. Of course it's more fun with a group :)

Aldebarann

Thelanis Player
My only concern by doing 20-30s is that some quests won't count to gain those juice DDO points to finish buying pack, races and classes. While doing 1-20s is garantee that will gather at least 2500-3000 Favor points per life.

Personally I don’t go to eveningstar before reaching epics, and then all the eveningstar quests required for the 5 epic sagas there push you easily at lvl 26-27. Throw in at that point VoN, some raids, and one or two epics expansions and you can easily get to cap having to play only 10-15 quests both in heroic and epics. Hence you are not throwing away too much favour-wise having to play twice the same content in the same life, at the additional gain of getting in a quicker way an EPL :D

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
So, I made a post a day ago on the old forum and didn't had the chance to see the feedbacks.
I'm a returning player, cameback because of the Promo Dungeonpack... kind a Premium-ish... basically free, missing Hidden Hand, Saltmarsh, Feywild and Isle of Dread. Of those, which is better to buy first for someone that is trying fast leveling 1-20 rinse/repeat aiming to get those Racial Pastlifes Points?

Thanks in advance!

Of the 3... I think I'd go Feywild. Less for the speed (though most of them are pretty speedy), but the gear. At the time of writing, best loot to equip at level 5 and can generally fit any build. Easily carries until you can equip/mix with ravenloft and can stretch until you hit 20+ honestly.

With better gear you'll go through all quests that much faster.

eartheyes

i play on khyber
If you are going 1-20 and skipping epic pastlives(not recomended) id def go with fey, pretty much hands down.

Lazuli

Thanks in advance!
I'd go Feywild. Best gear and best for level up in heroics. Saltmarsh is too low on heroics. Feywild gives better xp, and his gear is good on both heroics and legendaries. IoD as second option.

Hidden is just a pack, not an xpack. Gear here is worse, and it gives very little xp compared to Feywild or IoD. But it is cheaper.

Last edited:

Fhrek

Good stuff over there! Thank you guys so much!
There is a little over 7600 total favor
True... true! I remember before my hiatus, I did some 6000+ favor lifes to get +5 Tomes! Before get +8 ones!
Glad to see a fellow Sarlonian! 🙌 My main is Valenttina from guild "A Irmandade"

all the eveningstar quests required for the 5 epic sagas there push you easily at lvl 26-27
Nice to know! Has been some time I don't go futher in Eveningstar quests. Will do it.

I'd go Feywild

I'd go Feywild

Feywild it is! 😁

Bjond

by doing 20-30s is that some quests won't count to gain those juice DDO points to finish buying pack, races and classes. While doing 1-20s is garantee that will gather at least 2500-3000 Favor points per life.

I do primarily iconic + epic for TR'ing; 15->30 (skipping GH) then 20->26 via banked Sagas and 26->30 via GH. RXP is high skull sagas on the first trip to 30 (banking the sagas for later). The only Epics that double up in Heroics are typically Sharn and Estar. If I cared more about favor per time spent, I suppose I could avoid Estar in heroics or epics, but it's got such nice xp. I'd probably always double on Sharn for the same reason: v.nice xp.

Many people like doing more EPLs per life than one, though; "3" is the most common number I've seen batted about. That would almost certainly require a fair bit of zero-favor XP'ing, though.

TrinityTurtle

True... true! I remember before my hiatus, I did some 6000+ favor lifes to get +5 Tomes! Before get +8 ones!
Glad to see a fellow Sarlonian! 🙌 My main is Valenttina from guild "A Irmandade"
H'lo! I'm not sure I recognize Valenttina off hte top of my head, but I have played with several toons (I say toons because I have no idea whose alt is who in my own guild, let alone others, it gets confusing!) and they've always been nice. We had a moment of confusion in White Plume Mountain recently and I was able to help becuase I remembered someone from your guild once told me it was Brazilian so I knew to plug that into google translate so I could (probably badly, I really thing Google translate says things weirdly) communicate to help. LOL I hope I was saying something close to what I meant! :) Having to trust computer programs for that is scary. LOL

Fhrek

I have no idea whose alt is who in my own guild, let alone others

Hehehehehe same!
As I said, I cameback to the game last month, besides the guild leader I don't know main and alts in my own guild.
But, yeah... our guild is exclusively to Brazilians, is a pre-requisite to join.

I hope I was saying something close to what I meant!

Don't worry, Portuguese is such a wide language that even people from different regions of Brazil sometimes understand each other more by the context of the situation than by what was said.

Scrag

I haven't played saltmarsh so I am clueless.

However, dread has amazing caster gear (and some other stuff) at 7 that will go a long way. The signets + pendants will really crank your spellcasting to 11. Some of the other stuff is pretty good and can be mixed and matched, and in heroics you can easily mix and match fey (its all bring your own piece!) with dread and get some pretty cool results.

As mentioned though, sharn is a good place to end up for, and works all the way till very end game.

I got dinos because Dinos! and I remember an old dnd ~2 module about the dinos. Always wanted to mess with dinos. It is also very pretty in a prehistoric way complete with plants, earthquakes, and cool rain/sky effects.

Fey was recommended as good to get for new players and I have to agree whole heartedly with that. The heroic quests arent that hard, you can farm them reasonably for lots of new lives or alts, and it also scales all the way to very end game.