new player questions (tomes, map, etc)

moodwrench

Hi-
I've been playing for a few weeks and was hoping for some clarifications

1- How can I tell which skill tomes I applied from previous sagas? I know I added a +1 to heal as well as something else that I don't remember. I dont see how I can tell from the char sheet whats been applied.
2- Please.. how can I zoom/unzoom the map? Can I add custom waypoints?
3- Is there a list someplace of which item effects stack and which do not?
4- For someone with no D&D experience, where can I get some details on how the game works (what a roll is, how the different saves, buffs, random numbers). ddowiki has a lot of info, but no good guide on game mechanics past the very basic.

Thanks!!!

abaren

Hi-
I've been playing for a few weeks and was hoping for some clarifications

1- How can I tell which skill tomes I applied from previous sagas? I know I added a +1 to heal as well as something else that I don't remember. I dont see how I can tell from the char sheet whats been applied.
2- Please.. how can I zoom/unzoom the map? Can I add custom waypoints?
3- Is there a list someplace of which item effects stack and which do not?
4- For someone with no D&D experience, where can I get some details on how the game works (what a roll is, how the different saves, buffs, random numbers). ddowiki has a lot of info, but no good guide on game mechanics past the very basic.

Thanks!!!
1- The way I do it is: I open character sheet ("C" key) -> Go to skills tab -> Mouse over the skill total mod -> Tooltip shows +1 Heal (Tome).
2- If there is a + icon, you can click on it and it will zoom. Otherwise I "think" there is no zoom in and out. Afaik, no custom waypoints either.
3- Golden rule for any effect is: If they are different bonus type, they stack. Otherwise they dont. Two quality HP bonus dont stack. But 1 quality HP and one insight HP bonus would stack for instance. If the effect is untyped, it probably stack with anything.
4- D&D is a d20 system. A "roll" is a d20 roll. If you need to save against a trap with DC 10 and you roll a 12 in your d20, you save.

If you need more info on the system your best bet reference would be the D&D Players Handbook which is in its 5th edition as of the now (afaik). But DDO as a pc game is very different than pen and paper version. Its the closest PC game to the real thing though. I can remember other 2 games who get close Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights but they have their own limitations. The game system however is the same: Roll a d20, if you score higher than your goal, you have success, otherwise you fail. A natural 20 roll on the dice is often considered a critical roll and a 1 a critical failure. Damage may roll different sided dice like d4, d6, d8, d10, d12... But success vs failure is usually a d20 roll against a difficulty check (DC).

Last edited: