New pnp player/dm! Need advice/tips

LuxProcedens

Hey all, Im looking to start playing pnp d&d with my family! Ill be the dm, and as ive never played before im looking for some general tips and advice to take into account when i write my campaign.
Only one person playing will have actually played before. I will be DM, and im looking for a way to implement DDO quest/arcs into my longform campaign. What would be a good 1-2 hour quick ddo themed oneshot to get the players understanding how to play, and help me get the hang of being dm? I found and bought the "Eberron, Rise from Last War" which is very cool! Im looking to go from korthos to what is now ddo endgame quests, but on pnp.

If you care to reply, thank you in advance!

eshadowbringer

I have used many aspects of DDO in my campaigns. Mostly when I am under the gun to come up with a name, or the players take a left when all my prep was planning on them taking a right! I always try to go to something I know well!

My best advice for a starting DM in 5e would be to play the Lost Mines of Phandelver first! It is set up to help you out along the way! I used it as a transition from 3.5 to 5e when i decided to pick up the reins again to DM for my kids several years ago! we are now on our second campaign!

My best advice in general would be this: know the material for the adventure very well and NEVER be afraid to throw it all out the window if it is getting in the way!

With a little work you can insert that adventure into an ebberon setting and have it be a precursor to your planned campaign!

I really hope some of the old timers in DDO see this and reply! because there are a bunch of us!

Lagin

A new DM in PnP needs to determine what rule rule set, and setting. eg, Eberron, Forgotten Realms etc...

Then you'll need resoruce material. (Published campiagns)

Dice, minatures & maps.

Be stingy woth xp & loot. Makes pple appreciate it more)

Lagin

Also, If I was to start a new campign, I would make it mandatory for everyone to have a min 10" tablet or better. Along with a prtable monitor on the players side of the DM screen. There are several interactive systems for DM's now.

LuxProcedens

Also, If I was to start a new campign, I would make it mandatory for everyone to have a min 10" tablet or better. Along with a prtable monitor on the players side of the DM screen. There are several interactive systems for DM's now.
Well we cant afford to buy 5 tablets haha

What other interactive tools are there for DMs?

LuxProcedens

I have used many aspects of DDO in my campaigns. Mostly when I am under the gun to come up with a name, or the players take a left when all my prep was planning on them taking a right! I always try to go to something I know well!

My best advice for a starting DM in 5e would be to play the Lost Mines of Phandelver first! It is set up to help you out along the way! I used it as a transition from 3.5 to 5e when i decided to pick up the reins again to DM for my kids several years ago! we are now on our second campaign!

My best advice in general would be this: know the material for the adventure very well and NEVER be afraid to throw it all out the window if it is getting in the way!

With a little work you can insert that adventure into an ebberon setting and have it be a precursor to your planned campaign!

I really hope some of the old timers in DDO see this and reply! because there are a bunch of us!
Since ive never played pnp, i was going to start with 5e, although most modules are before that and have not be remade for 5e. Id like to run Haunted Halls and things similiar to that, but they just arent in 5e.

eshadowbringer

Also, If I was to start a new campign, I would make it mandatory for everyone to have a min 10" tablet or better. Along with a prtable monitor on the players side of the DM screen. There are several interactive systems for DM's now
While I respect your opinion, I have to respectfully disagree, especially for a first-time DM. In my experience, it's essential to focus on the core aspect of the game, which is using your imagination. Overcomplicating things can be overwhelming, so starting simple is the key.

LuxProcedens

You all have phones yes?
Well of course.

But i cant use tools like DDB. I only purchased physical books, and refuse to repurchase just to have it digitally. Not to mention, 2 of my players will be above the age of 45, so id rather not require too many electronics. Although i did plan on using my laptop as maybe a screen for a map, or pictures of creatures.

eshadowbringer

Since ive never played pnp, i was going to start with 5e, although most modules are before that and have not be remade for 5e. Id like to run Haunted Halls and things similiar to that, but they just arent in 5e.
I think 5e is a fantastic edition of D&D. It's been a huge hit with my family and we find the mechanics easy to grasp. While some hardcore 3.5 fans may criticize it, the truth is that 5e is much easier to learn and can save players a decade's worth of learning curve

there are conversion resources for a huge number of the old classics!

eshadowbringer

D&D Beyond is simply a tool? a resource. You can use it right along with physical books.. I do it all the time! and since Lost Mines of Phandelver is free there is 0 cost involved... and no one else has to have any electronics at all.

eshadowbringer

I utilize electronics for exactly that! i will show players a picture of a horrible monster or something My players have 0 need for anything except a character sheet a pencil and some dice

LuxProcedens

I think 5e is a fantastic edition of D&D. It's been a huge hit with my family and we find the mechanics easy to grasp. While some hardcore 3.5 fans may criticize it, the truth is that 5e is much easier to learn and can save players a decade's worth of learning curve

there are conversion resources for a huge number of the old classics!
What exactly is the difference? Just rules? Or is there a lore difference?

eshadowbringer

While using DDO quests in your TTRPG game can work, it's important to keep in mind that you don't want to railroad your players. Directly copying an MMO to a tabletop RPG can be challenging since TTRPGs allow for more player agency and exploration. Let the game go where it wants and use DDO to help you adapt quickly (remember when you go off the rails use stuff you know well)

eshadowbringer

Compared to newer editions of D&D, 3.5 was a massively rules-intensive game that allowed for some game-breaking builds and exploitative mechanics. 5e streamlined many of these mechanics and made the game more accessible to a new generation of players.