Noob Question

Altra

I confuse very easily.
I'm getting close to TR into my first Druid, and I have a question.

Wiki says all Druid spells are Divine (like Favored Soul)
Does that mean my gear needs to give me divine for all my spells? Is Faerie Fire divine or fire? Flame strike?
So maybe, divine with back-up fire for instances when I'll use that a lot?
(Fire is an example. I also saw cold and elec.)

I'm looking through my gear to see what I need to get before I get there.

Thanks so much.

WargamerIV

If you are a divine caster (cleric, druid, ranger, etc.) than when you get access to first level spells you immediately get all of them in your spellbook. The same is true for higher level spells. When you rest at a shrine or are in a tavern you can pick one or more spells from that list to prepare.

If you are an arcane caster (wizard, artificer, bard, etc.) when you get access to first level spells you have to pick one or more spells to learn. You don't immediately get them all in your spellbook. Some arcane casters are allowed to inscribe other spells into their spellbook and swap spells when resting or in a tavern (similar to divine casters) while other arcane casters have a more difficult route to changing spells.

Edit

The type of magic (fire, cold, force, etc.) is different and your spell power in a given type of magic effects your damage from spells of that type.

Altra

I'm favored soul now and UMD is no fail on 1, but about half the time, if I don't take my armor off, I fail throwing greater heroism scrolls because of arcane failure.

But as a druid, do I need to gear for say, electric AND divine, fire AND divine, whatever.

)Edit: Wrong scroll)

Last edited:

Palumtra

Definitely A Member
Spell power/Crit doesn't care about the spells being divine or arcane, and it's fairly straightforward with most of them.
When you look at a damaging spell spell they'll tell you what type of damage they do (ie. Acid, Cold, Fire etc. Force/Phyiscal spells like Thornspike benefit from Impulse, Universal boosts all of them) , and that's the kind of spell power you need to amp it up.
The main difference between arcane and divine spells are that arcane spells are subject to arcane spell failure from armor/shields (certain Enhancement Trees can reduce/bypass this, most notably Eldritch Knight for Sorcerers/Wizards) while divine spells aren't (but you'll start to hate Quells soon enough.....speaking from experience).
There are specific items (like Conduit of the Soul) that refer to divine/arcane spells, in that case it matters what kind of spellcaster you are.

misterski

Spell power/Crit doesn't care about the spells being divine or arcane, and it's fairly straightforward with most of them.
When you look at a damaging spell spell they'll tell you what type of damage they do (ie. Acid, Cold, Fire etc. Force/Phyiscal spells like Thornspike benefit from Impulse, Universal boosts all of them) , and that's the kind of spell power you need to amp it up.
The main difference between arcane and divine spells are that arcane spells are subject to arcane spell failure from armor/shields (certain Enhancement Trees can reduce/bypass this, most notably Eldritch Knight for Sorcerers/Wizards) while divine spells aren't (but you'll start to hate Quells soon enough.....speaking from experience).
There are specific items (like Conduit of the Soul) that refer to divine/arcane spells, in that case it matters what kind of spellcaster you are.
I think they mean positive spell power not divine.

Altra

Thanks, Guys.
That's what I needed. Divine needs divine/light, but fire needs fire, it won't build off my divine.

Lacci

Thanks, Guys.
That's what I needed. Divine needs divine/light, but fire needs fire, it won't build off my divine.
I think you´re confusing something. There are several spell powers in game (Fire, Acid, Cold, Electric, Positive, Negative, Repair, Sonic, Force and Light) - Divine is not one of them.
Take for example the spell "Sunburst" - it´s a Light spell that can be cast by druids, sorcerers or wizards. The spell´s damage is affected by your Light spellpower.

Palumtra

Definitely A Member
Thanks, Guys.
Light (also called Alignment) spell power comes from +Radiance items. It amplifies ALL aligment based damage (Chaos Hammer, Deifc Vengeance, Holy Smite, Unholy Blight, and all Light damage dealing spells).