Positive Energy Aura not working right?

ice584

My brother and I have spent the last three hours running numbers and absolutely nothing we have tried adds up correctly to what we see in-game. We have tried to cut the numbers so many ways (even ways we're pretty confident it's NOT supposed to work) but still nothing adds up.

The Positive Energy Aura description states that the calculation uses Paladin/Cleric level divided by 3. This would equate to a base healing amount of 6 (assuming the number is floored). However, that falls very short from what we see in-game. Our best attempt so far is to assume the description is incorrect and that the calculation is *ACTUALLY* using Effective Caster Level divided by 3 (again, using a floored value).

My level 22 character's relevant stats:
Effective Caster Level = 24 (20 from Sacred Fist, 3 from Intense Healing, 1 from Epic Knowledge)
Effective Spellpower = 395 (295 base w/gear, 100 from Improved Empower Healing)
Effective Healing amp = 155 (20 Human, 30 Sacred Fist, 10 GMoF, 45 Mysterious Cloak, 30 from Paladin PL feats, 20 from guild buffs)

So, here is our calculation: (24 / 3) * (1 + 3.95) * ( 1 + 1.55)
And assuming effective caster level is being used, it should heal me for: 100.98
However, here is what my aura actually heals me for in-game: 107

What we see when manually manipulating the numbers, is that when we put in 8.5 for the base heal amount, everything works out perfectly when applying these calculations to both my character AND his. But we have no idea where the extra 0.5 would be coming from. We have some suspicions that the problem is surrounding healing amp because of the way the in-game numbers change as we decrease healing amp.

EDIT: Enabling/disabling Empower Heal also seemed to be adjusting the in-game numbers in an unexpected way. Maybe we're fighting two problems here?

Is anyone else seeing unexpected healing numbers from their aura? (As a side note, the aura totally needs to be buffed, lol)
Can any devs confirm whether this formula is accurate?
Is healing amp still calculated at the end?

We're so confused. :cry:

Last edited:

Kipp

(This information may be out of date) Under the old system of ED, using Exalted Angel or another divine sphere class added an effective cleric level to the calculation for aura. I haven't ever tried the aura on a sacred fist though, since t5 radiant servant on paladin doesn't really add much given the limited scaling of aura in epics, so it could work differently.

Upvote 0

ice584

(This information may be out of date) Under the old system of ED, using Exalted Angel or another divine sphere class added an effective cleric level to the calculation for aura. I haven't ever tried the aura on a sacred fist though, since t5 radiant servant on paladin doesn't really add much given the limited scaling of aura in epics, so it could work differently.
Yeah, as I understand it, they have restructured caster levels to be granted via the feats "Epic Knowledge" and "Legendary Knowledge".
The lackluster performance of the aura is why we started running numbers in the first place, in an attempt to find ways to boost it. It really falls off in Epics. They need to give it the Warlock aura treatment and double the values once you hit Epics, or something.

Upvote 0

Kipp

Yeah, as I understand it, they have restructured caster levels to be granted via the feats "Epic Knowledge" and "Legendary Knowledge".
The lackluster performance of the aura is why we started running numbers in the first place, in an attempt to find ways to boost it. It really falls off in Epics. They need to give it the Warlock aura treatment and double the values once you hit Epics, or something.

Yea, unfortunately the aura doesn't even come close to power of angel form when healing in epics :( There is some tangential use to aura, though, in that it reapplies things applied on channel divinity/ turn undead but ultimately these too fall off in epics (What is 15 temp hp every few seconds when you have 1k+?) I do think we need a change it calculation for both aura and burst, I don't think simply doubling it in epics would be enough, but I also don't think it should really equal angel form in terms of power. The main reason currently to go t5 radiant servant is uncapped cures, but unfortunately paladin (or radiant servant tree alone) lacks the ooph to really make it worth it. All in all I think radiant servant is one of the weaker healing trees, given that FvS gets heal sla, alchemist gets heal bottle sla and even renegade mastermaker gets aoe bottles and reconstruction sla. Its a little odd to me that the quintessential healer in D&D gets no more than cure moderate sla. However, I will add that on cleric, radiant servant is a lot stronger due to the fact that uncapped cures is very strong on the stronger heals, but ultimately there is a limit to how much cure moderate can do, its not close wounds :(

Upvote 0

ice584

Agreed, the whole Radiant Servant tree is still behind other trees, that's for sure. But right now i just want to know whether it's working correctly. Nothing seems to add up any way i cut it.

Upvote 0