Prioritize fixing reincarnation bank problems

Ooblagato

Hiding in plain sight
Reincarnation is integral to the core loop of the game. But if you have a lot of items it's a nightmare to do.

I personally have a hard time reorganizing things when people move my stuff around. To have that happen to me as part of an otherwise very fun video game just feels like a slap in the face. I probably spend about 5 to 10 hours per life reorganizing things and moving gear from reincarnation caches or alts to their appropriate spot. This is getting worse and worse as I accumulate more items, especially those with limitations on how they can be organized such as bound to character items.

Please please, prioritize making this experience better. Any improvements are welcome.

Some concrete ways to do this are:
- Stop adding items to the reincarnation cache and make the bank/inventory space from favor permanent (to prevent any problems related to lost storage space). This will remove the need to jumble up someone's organized inventory and bank storage. If there are issues around overflow space for equipped items, just make removing equipment a requirement for reincarnation.
* See this post later in this thread for a clear statement on why this feature is problematic in its current state (as opposed to my personal anecdote provided here in the initial post).
** This should also be paired with adding 40-200 free bank spots to make up for the lost deep storage space or a more robust solution like the one suggested here (Essentially being able to unlock the ability to reclaim a named item you've obtained once by sacrificing some amount of other named items.) As for why these extra inventory slots are necessary with this change, see this post later in this thread.

- Leave hotkey bars and UI alone. There's no reason to reset hotkey bars, one can remove abilities if they like, but a lot of things like potions, scrolls, past life abilities, etc, just have a spot on someone's bar permanently-- removing them all just adds an annoying chore.
* I made a separate thread focusing on the Hotkey bars issue here

Last edited:
Upvote 9

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Stop adding items to the reincarnation cache. This should also be paired with adding 40 free bank spots to make up for the lost deep storage space.
This doesn't actually work as a solution for many of us. When my cache is empty, it can fill both my bank and character inventory slots; it's why I don't empty most of it until just moments before a TR. That's 160 slots of character inventory space (120 unaccounted for with the "40 free bank slots"). And no one is going to want all their character inventory space filled at lvl 1...

Ooblagato

Hiding in plain sight
The game has seen hundreds of new items over the years, yet extremely minimal bank space increases, so an increase to the base experience is definitely in order. I originally suggested 40 spaces, but even more bank space might be reasonable. While a bit extreme, even if it meant adding 160 extra bank spaces for free, they should still do this (It would make everyone super happy as well).

That said, if the implementation is done correctly, there is no need to even touch the existing reincarnation caches. Leave reincarnation caches alone, do not add anything new to them, do not remove them, and remove the requirement for them to be cleared to reincarnate. Even if someone does have 160 items in their reincarnation cache, they can gradually make space for them as they pull them out on their own terms. This removes any risks of automated processing making players lose access to their items and solves any lost bank space problems.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
adding 160 extra bank spaces for free
That's the only option.
Even if someone does have 160 items in their reincarnation cache, they can gradually make space for them as they pull them out on their own terms. This removes any risks of automated processing making players lose access to their items and solves any lost bank space problems.
That would mean destroying a ton of items at my leisure vs all at once. Completely not an option for people.

Ooblagato

Hiding in plain sight
That's the only option.

That would mean destroying a ton of items at my leisure vs all at once. Completely not an option for people.
I do see your point. Perhaps they could do a base increase as well as a limited time coupon for a bunch of free bank space around the time of this change-- but nonetheless, I really don't want the developers to see it as a reason to not fix this glaring major problem that sucks the fun out of the game for so many people.

Ooblagato

Hiding in plain sight
I'd settle for keeping process as is except add an "Empty TR Cache" button that auto-empties the cache for you so you don't have to click each item manually. Maybe an "Are You Sure?" prompt in case you click on that button by mistake....
I personally just make a macro to double click repeatedly and walk away for a couple minutes. So this would be a minor improvement, but it doesn't resolve the organization related issues which I think are the heart of the problem here.

PraetorPlato

If not for the technical annoyances with it, the idea of the TR cache is actually really good—you'll probably have a bunch of items that you can't possibly use after TR'ing at level cap, so let's let you put those away. Any change needs to provide a separate solution to that problem (preferably one that can a. soak 160-200 items, and b. doesn't require excessive delays or cause organizational issues(

blayzei

This is probably the single most important change ddo could make to retain players. I've seen so many players leave and not come back for exactly this reason.
As for the extra inventory slots, it's worth noting that in many ways it's not adding anything that the players don't already have, it's just making some quality of life changes.
Maybe the best way to do it is to just add 160 bank spaces available to characters after they have reincarnated.

twilight

For storage space, I would happily pay for something like another 1000 shared bank slots (I have the max I can - I think I missed a couple of the "get 10 when you buy this for $$"). It wouldn't directly help with TR but would help greatly with storage generally.

LeandroLSF

a way to save your last life build (talents, skills, spells, etc) and just paste it if you want to redo this life. And maybe a way to save 5 or more builds and it just auto lvl up for you

Zavina

Ms Stabby Stabby
IIRC, during a Cordovan & Sev chat sometime ago, Sev said that "they had gone away from the idea of player housing, and was considering something that was guildship based".

Arch-Necromancer

Additionally, make the bank/inventory space from favor permanent to prevent any problems related to lost storage space.

This is actually the best solution for this problem, IMO.

If they could retain bank and inventory space you gain from favor after TR, there would be absolutely no need to put any items from your inventory into the cache.

Only equipped items could then go to the cache, and your inventory could be kept intact and with the same ordering.

Dandonk

Beater of Dead Horses
I have more than 200 items in my TR cache after a TR. I would LOVE to not have to remove them each TR, but I also do NOT want to have to delete items I've grinded hard for, or run with a full inventory at level 1.

Arch-Necromancer

I have more than 200 items in my TR cache after a TR. I would LOVE to not have to remove them each TR, but I also do NOT want to have to delete items I've grinded hard for, or run with a full inventory at level 1.
You can make a pack mule toon. That should take care of most items, only bound to character items would stay, but there should not be many of those left in the game anyway.

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
I reincarnated this morning and had 370 items in my reincarnation cache. So far I have pulled 15 items out as part of my normal "starting at level 1" process. It took... maybe... an hour to pull everything out prior to reincarnating. That would be something like 340 items which were still in the cache after my last life.

It would be nice to have a single button which would empty the cache into the bank and character inventory. However, I suspect people would whine about that if the developers implemented it... they would want some sort of "intelligent" transfer of the items. You know - armor, shields, weapons (heavy stuff) prioritized going into the bank instead of character inventory.