SAVE30 is not working on Dec 7th

Good Evening

I'm having an issue with the SAVE30 store coupon saying that it is expired yet it should not be expired since it is stated that the coupon is good through Dec 7th. The SAVE20 code still works yet the 30% coupon states that it is expired. I have thoroughly checked my purchase history and I do not have any record of my using this coupon during this promotion period. I think that it is unfair to state that your highest discount coupon is valid through Dec 7th, release a very nice bundle the day the coupon expires and invalidate the coupon that evening so I am unable to use it. Would you please reactivate or extend the SAVE30 coupon an additional day to allow people to make use of it?

I know others are having the same issue. If this is you, please respectfully add on to this post.

Thank you

Nimvind

Dirgesinger Bard of Sarlona
I didn't have this experience but I don't like that people who are working during the day lost this chance, its not fair. I was able to use my coupon code earlier today but there is people out there who support their families and love this game and a game they love shouldn't turn their back on their loving players.

Monalisa

My fiancé also could not use their SAVE30 code this evening due to it being expired and used SAVE20 instead to make their store purchase. Are they out the additional 10% because they were unable to use the coupon but wanted to use a coupon before it expired? Should I have them put in a ticket for a refund of 10% of the item they purchased?

Swivven

Same issue with me. The SAVE30 code does not work on December 7. Nor do SAVE20 or SAVE 10. None of the codes working for me.

I thought it might stop working after the update & the new December Deals started. But I told myself, "Hey, SSG said *through* December 7th, so it probably will still work." Alas...

Ticket submitted, but not optimistic.

Last edited:

Druidsfire

Instigator of Shenanigans
Here's the thing, really. The store has timers on the sales and has done for years, both in the old storefront and the current one. The very first page as soon as you open the store has a special on it right there smack dab in the middle with the expiration date on it right there. On the last day of a sale, it starts showing the remaining time in hours and minutes rather than just days, giving us precise information to set correct expectations. Based on previous experience, it seems as if the old sales and codes expire at 10pm Eastern on Thursday, and this has been the way it's been for a long time.

That being said, as for the discussion about how players who work don't get to take advantage of stuff like this, there's never going to be a good cutoff that will be completely fair and make everyone happy. I imagine there were some factors that led to them picking THAT time, but there will always be folks who miss out cos they might be on the west coast, they might work 2nd shift, whatever. And yeah, it's a bummer if it doesn't work out for you.

What I think is most likely to happen here is that they'll simply make sure that this situation doesn't happen again, cos I can't imagine they had actually intended for folks to use the SAVE codes on the coffers at all.

PpalP

Here's the thing, really. The store has timers on the sales and has done for years, both in the old storefront and the current one. The very first page as soon as you open the store has a special on it right there smack dab in the middle with the expiration date on it right there. On the last day of a sale, it starts showing the remaining time in hours and minutes rather than just days, giving us precise information to set correct expectations. Based on previous experience, it seems as if the old sales and codes expire at 10pm Eastern on Thursday, and this has been the way it's been for a long time.

That being said, as for the discussion about how players who work don't get to take advantage of stuff like this, there's never going to be a good cutoff that will be completely fair and make everyone happy. I imagine there were some factors that led to them picking THAT time, but there will always be folks who miss out cos they might be on the west coast, they might work 2nd shift, whatever. And yeah, it's a bummer if it doesn't work out for you.

What I think is most likely to happen here is that they'll simply make sure that this situation doesn't happen again, cos I can't imagine they had actually intended for folks to use the SAVE codes on the coffers at all.
You're right in the fact that the store announces the expiration date correctly.
The problem here is that the code SAVE30 expired earlier, so I can use SAVE20 or SAVE15 but not the 30% discount

HighLordPudding

ok but how do you see the time remaining on a coupon?

Druidsfire

ok but how do you see the time remaining on a coupon?
Coupons/freebie codes tend to run on the same timer (with the odd exception of the SAVE30 one as others have noted above) as the rest of the weekly sales. It's a way to deduce when the end of a code or coupon might be, but I will agree with folks here who would like a firmer statement up front stating a specific time without having to simply make an educated guess based on other factors.

@ Druidsfire, aside from missing the point that the coupon expired a whole day earlier then stated, your example does not consider those played who did not open the store at all. I don't got into Walmart on a Tuesday to make sure the chicken they advertised in their circular is still there, and still on sale until Friday.

Druidsfire

@ Druidsfire, aside from missing the point that the coupon expired a whole day earlier then stated, your example does not consider those played who did not open the store at all. I don't got into Walmart on a Tuesday to make sure the chicken they advertised in their circular is still there, and still on sale until Friday.
I didn't miss the point. The verbiage they said was THROUGH the 7th. The code expired ON the 7th, not 'a whole day earlier than stated'. Now, you could attempt to argue that means until 11:59pm on the 7th and then get into the weeds about whether that's 11:59pm Eastern (SSG) time or 11:59pm Pacific (Daybreak) time, and that's fair.

Or you can do a little bit of observation and critical thinking and make some reasonable deductions based on past behavior. For example, we see them post that sales run from X date to Y date. New sales run from Y date to Z date, with the overlap always being Thursdays. So on Thursdays when the overlap is happening, you can then start looking for other evidence to support WHEN the last-week sales stuff turns over, since they didn't explicitly state 'this code expires at ...' with the precise time and timezone. And that's when you open the store to see if you can find that information (with a lot less effort than going to your local Walmart). It's on the very first page, something with a timer on it. But that's still just a reasonable theory, it's not definitive. That's when you can hop on here or DDO's socials and go 'Hey Cordo!' and see if you get the official answer. It's a lot better than just assuming.

I will grant you that just because something else has a specific sales expiration timer on it doesn't mean everything expires at precisely the same time (also noting again the reports from others here that the SAVE30 code expired before the SAVE20 codes did for some reason), but it gives you something to think about or even ask about. My personal theory is that the sales stuff has to be keyed in to turn on/off by hand, like the events system, but maybe someone keyed the SAVE30's expiration timer incorrectly, dunno?

Honestly, what I think they should start doing to avoid this mess and conflict in the future is that they should immediately nuke all last-week sales and coupons the second they spin up the new current-week ones, have zero overlap. Simply say 'sale ends on Wednesday' and set expectations that when you wake up on Thursday, there will be new sales and coupons and the previous sales are done with. There's probably a reason why they do it this way, but maybe it's something they'll revisit.

Eliminating the overlap, however, will also ensure they don't get the probably undesired results of a lot of people using an older code to get a super-sweet discount on their new supporter coffer. I can only imagine how many Picard-facepalms the ecommerce team prolly had when they realized that was happening. I imagine they had sales projections for DDO points purchases that weren't met because a lot of folks suddenly didn't have to buy more points to get the bigger coffers. Now on the other hand, that might have increased their number of bigger coffer purchases, however it's still a net loss because buying with already-purchased or earned points doesn't add revenue, which is what these coffers are meant to do (it's in the Patron name, after all).

Ultimately, eliminating the overlap will level the playing field and make it fair to everyone, which is what Nimvind and others in the thread want at the end of the day. I agree that everyone should have the same 6 days, 23 hours, and 59 minutes to use a coupon code or take advantage of a sale.