Some People Like the Pirate Motif, Some People Enjoy Steampunk, Others Enjoy the Medieval Setting Most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arimov

Some people like the pirate motif, while others enjoy steampunk. Still, others Enjoy the medieval setting most. I, for one, prefer gaming systems based around the worlds like Middle-Earth (yes, I know the devs have a separate game for that), Krynn, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk. I - for one - prefer medieval-type game settings. So, if I make a request, it most likely will not be for pirate-y or steampunk-y content. That is just me - and maybe some others. If someone does not like my ideas for what I would like to see in the game. So be it. But, asking for an astral castle in lieu of a pirate ship - Well, that is just accounting for taste (one's personal preference). If you don't like the idea of an astral castle (should it become available), then do not buy it. Pirate ships (the most elite) cost about 200 euros. I did spend about 100 euros on a lesser ship. Nonetheless, I would like to see astral castles. And, as I am a paying customer, I am willing to pay 200 euros for an astral castle. I am much more likely to purchase an astral castle DLC, than I am a pirate ship. I am much more likely to pay for knight, princess, and dragon DLC, than pirate-y or steampunk-y content. As a paying customer, I think it might, must might, be wise for the people at SSG to listen to my suggestions. Why? Because I am telling them exactly what I am willing to pay for.

Dude

As a paying customer, I think it might, must might, be wise for the people at SSG to listen to my suggestions. Why? Because I am telling them exactly what I am willing to pay for.
You're not the only paying customer, so listening to you might be wise or it might be the worst thing that SSG could do. You being a paying customer doesn't really mean anything if you drive away other paying customers.

PaleFox

The thing that strikes me most is the word Pirate before the air ships we have.

They're just that, an air ship that are slightly modeled after ocean worthy sailing ships.
As well, air is still a liquid and no one thought of aerodynamics and put the top half in the same shape as the bottom half.

... Yet.

Anyway, player housing has been requested many times over.
Mostly just for storing stuff.

Arimov

You're not the only paying customer, so listening to you might be wise or it might be the worst thing that SSG could do. You being a paying customer doesn't really mean anything if you drive away other paying customers.
So, if, for instance, they took one of my suggestions, for instance the astral castle idea, or for instance more Forgotten Realms content, or Krynn content, or Greyhawk content, then you (and, others) are going to simply quit the game. No one is forcing you to play any particular content. If you don't like Deneith, then do not play that content. If you do not like Jorasco, then avoid that. Capitalism is about having choices. It is not about succumbing to the dictates of those with authoritarian mindsets. I experienced the "uninstall"-mindset with WoT. WoT has a fairly unpleasan community, and their forum moderation is lacking. As is their chat moderation. There are many fascistic people who play it. And, they continually get away with what I consider a particularly egregious insult, "UNINSTALL!". I find such an authoritarian and unsympathetic mindset to be rather offensive. A person needs to have sympathy and empathy. Now, as a whole, I find the DDO community to be rather pleasant. In-game, I have met many wonderful people who are glad to help others out. A myriad of said people are willing to help people with weaker toons, and they are willing to let people pike for EXP. As a whole, I find that D&D, and DDO, have much more welcoming communities.

Now, as for Krynn, it is, I think, one of their best-selling products of all time. So, Wizards, TSR, and SSG would do well to consider implementing it.

As for the pegasus idea, I see no difference between it, and - say - a unicorn. Why is unicorn content okay, but pegasus content is not?

Dude

So, if, for instance, they took one of my suggestions, for instance the astral castle idea, or for instance more Forgotten Realms content, or Krynn content, or Greyhawk content, then you (and, others) are going to simply quit the game. No one is forcing you to play any particular content. If you don't like Deneith, then do not play that content. If you do not like Jorasco, then avoid that. Capitalism is about having choices. It is not about succumbing to the dictates of those with authoritarian mindsets. I experienced the "uninstall"-mindset with WoT. WoT has a fairly unpleasan community, and their forum moderation is lacking. As is their chat moderation. There are many fascistic people who play it. And, they continually get away with what I consider a particularly egregious insult, "UNINSTALL!". I find such an authoritarian and unsympathetic mindset to be rather offensive. A person needs to have sympathy and empathy. Now, as a whole, I find the DDO community to be rather pleasant. In-game, I have met many wonderful people who are glad to help others out. A myriad of said people are willing to help people with weaker toons, and they are willing to let people pike for EXP. As a whole, I find that D&D, and DDO, have much more welcoming communities.

Now, as for Krynn, it is, I think, one of their best-selling products of all time. So, Wizards, TSR, and SSG would do well to consider implementing it.

As for the pegasus idea, I see no difference between it, and - say - a unicorn. Why is unicorn content okay, but pegasus content is not?
Got it. You're the "good idea" guy. Every game seems to have one. Good luck to you.

Arimov

The thing that strikes me most is the word Pirate before the air ships we have.

They're just that, an air ship that are slightly modeled after ocean worthy sailing ships.
As well, air is still a liquid and no one thought of aerodynamics and put the top half in the same shape as the bottom half.

... Yet.

Anyway, player housing has been requested many times over.
Mostly just for storing stuff.
Okay, "airship", not "pirate ship". My point stands. I would much rather spend my hard-earned money on knight-like things, than flying ships, pirates (which Deneith and TBC both have), and steampunk (which warforged and much of the related content in Sharn, and elsewhere is replete with). I prefer "Chainmail", Gary Gygax's original idea. If you want to continue playing pirate-y stuff, then go ahead. I rarely, if ever, play Deneith or TBC (very rarely). Why? Because the content is not to my liking. I like Borderlands and Eveningstar. That kind of stuff is my "thing". Now, since I pay for DLC - I buy comics, I play games, I buy LOTR movies, sci-fi, Star Wars, fantasy, and the like, I am fairly certain that I am representative of a certain segment of the world's population. Maybe, a million people like me, out of seven billion, perthaps. SSG only needs a milllion paying customers. So, for those of us who like the Dunedain, and elves, and the like, maybe, just maybe, SSG could pay attention to one simple request. Perhaps, Krynn. Just, maybe. If not... Well, it does not hurt to ask. As I said before, the section is "suggestions", not "rejections". If SSG wanted continuous rejections, then they would have named it that.

Last edited:

Arimov

Got it. You're the "good idea" guy. Every game seems to have one. Good luck to you.
Well, they are asking for suggestions. Denigrating other people's ideas is not constructive - or polite - or kind. It is better to build people up, than tear them down.

Arimov

You did not address anything in the quote of mine which you cited. You just resorted to insults. I do not find that constructive or kind. It does not further discussion. This, ""good idea" guy", sort of pejorative is really quite unwelcome. Do you always log in to gaming sites to denigrate other people and their ideas? How does this condescending attitude promote discussion, or even contribute to "suggestions"? SSG put up "suggestions". It is not a forum to attack other people and their ideas. It is my understanding that they are open to other people's SUGGESTIONS. I did not think this was the VITRIOL forum. My mom always said, "if you do not have something nice to say, say nothing at all." It is best to filter what one wishes to say before it escapes one's mouth, or fingertips.

Why would unicorns be acceptable, but pegasuses (pegasi?) not? Again, I would suggest addressing the actual question, not issuing vituperations.

Last edited:

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Some people like the pirate motif, while others enjoy steampunk. Still, others Enjoy the medieval setting most. I, for one, prefer gaming systems based around the worlds like Middle-Earth (yes, I know the devs have a separate game for that), Krynn, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk. I - for one - prefer medieval-type game settings. So, if I make a request, it most likely will not be for pirate-y or steampunk-y content. That is just me - and maybe some others. If someone does not like my ideas for what I would like to see in the game. So be it. But, asking for an astral castle in lieu of a pirate ship - Well, that is just accounting for taste (one's personal preference). If you don't like the idea of an astral castle (should it become available), then do not buy it. Pirate ships (the most elite) cost about 200 euros. I did spend about 100 euros on a lesser ship. Nonetheless, I would like to see astral castles. And, as I am a paying customer, I am willing to pay 200 euros for an astral castle. I am much more likely to purchase an astral castle DLC, than I am a pirate ship. I am much more likely to pay for knight, princess, and dragon DLC, than pirate-y or steampunk-y content. As a paying customer, I think it might, must might, be wise for the people at SSG to listen to my suggestions. Why? Because I am telling them exactly what I am willing to pay for.
So what you're saying is you want future DDO content to be exactly the same sort of stuff as every other Dungeons and Dragons MMO on the market? That doesn't sound like the best idea for the game's future health, as I imagine most of the paying players are here specifically for the steampunk content.

(Not that I'm saying I'm against occasional future Forgotten Realms content here - far from it - but DDO's magitech setting is its unique selling point. The Neverwinter and Baldur's Gate series of games already have Faerun pretty well covered, so making too much of the content straight high fantasy could well cost the game greatly.)

Arimov

So what you're saying is you want future DDO content to be exactly the same sort of stuff as every other Dungeons and Dragons MMO on the market? That doesn't sound like the best idea for the game's future health, as I imagine most of the paying players are here specifically for the steampunk content.

(Not that I'm saying I'm against occasional future Forgotten Realms content here - far from it - but DDO's magitech setting is its unique selling point. The Neverwinter and Baldur's Gate series of games already have Faerun pretty well covered, so making too much of the content straight high fantasy could well cost the game greatly.)
The problem with Neverwinter is implementation. I downloaded it and played it. I did not like the mechanics of the game. I find DDO to be closer to the original D&D concept. That is why I am loyal to DDO, and not Neverwinter. I simply do not like the way Neverwinter plays. Some people seem to think I am advocating for taking away steampunk content. I am not. If you like it, play it. I am simply advocating for more knight-like stuff, things true to the AD&D R2 (or 3.5 - or 5.0). I've been a D&D player since, at least, the 80s, if not the 70s. I have been to D&D stores, long before Wizards existed. I went to conventions. I have been loyal to the TSR brand for about 40 years. Of course, I loved Rolemaster, also. I played Car Wars, Ogre, D&D, and many others. I played OTB miniatures wars, and I sitll own a slew of pewter miniatures from Ral Partha and Citadel. I still have my original AD&D books, and Rolemaster. I am both a gamer and a video-gamer. I think people play Eveningstar. I know I do. One of the first things I always complete is LoD, so that I have access to Forgotten Realms without the key. I play all the Drow and Lolth content. That is the stuff I enjoy. I do not think I am the only one. I also do not think the addition of new content will drive people away. How many quit because SSG introduced Borderlands?

Arimov

What are the statistics? Do the statistics support this?

"as I imagine most of the paying players are here specifically for the steampunk content."

It is anecdotal, but I am not.

PaleFox

Some of the things that the OP does not like come with the Ebberon setting.
Eg the foundations of this game.
Later on other settings were added, catering much more to the OP's wants.
My point still stands, a flying ship is just that. Any demonstrative pronoun or preposition are solely added in your own head unless explicitly denoted in a dialogue or voice over somewhere.

I don't like the harsh landscape of Gianthold either and fail to see the backstory.
I just adore the Feywild, except for the green castle roof but that is because I don't like that color.

You might find me putting out a post about it, and I'm going to post it once more that I as well would spend some cash on a base store for all my bound to char stuff so that I don't have to haul it around every time or acquire things for every char.

Arimov

My point still stands, a flying ship is just that. Any demonstrative pronoun or preposition are solely added in your own head unless explicitly denoted in a dialogue or voice over somewhere.
Not germane to the discussion. It does not matter whether it is a pirate ship, or just a ship. I prefer a castle over a flying ship. That is my point.

PurpleSerpent

What are the statistics? Do the statistics support this?

"as I imagine most of the paying players are here specifically for the steampunk content."

It is anecdotal, but I am not.
For the first eight years of its existence, DDO was set exclusively in the Steampunk-themed Eberron. Even now, the majority of the content is set in Eberron, with occasional exceptions to recreate dungeons from another setting (Mystara for the Isle of Dread, Greyhawk for Saltmarsh and so on.)

If the majority of DDO's players didn't much care for the steampunk setting, the game probably wouldn't have survived long enough for the Forgotten Realms to even be added, and there's no way it would be around today.

PurpleSerpent

How many quit because SSG introduced Borderlands?
As for this, I'm not saying that adding occasional high-fantasy themed packs is going to hurt the player base, but if suddenly everything released falls under that bracket, a lot of people are going to be upset.

The Narc

I think variety is the spice of life and a good balance of all is important! My biggest beef with new expansions/quests is over sized groups of trash mobs with huge hit point sinks that scale even more with group size and class scaling(barbarians, souls and warlocks scale the most).

As for some of the recent years of content;

Ravenloft - not hard but amber temple aand watchaus are annoying, atleast the mobs here arent hit point over inflated, so many people love the gear here but i just pass on with a meah on the gear(epic/legendary gear is of course of value)

Sharn - definitely not hard, but oh the trash mob hit points with scaling are torturously boring, again people love the gear here but i again just look at it as meah on the gear (epic/legendary gear is of course of value)

Borderlands - not hard and quck and fun on both heroic and epic. again gear is meah

Feywild - has some challenge on heroic depending on build, mobs can get a little over inflated with scaling but there isnt excessive groups of mobs so it is palatable. I personally love the feywild gear!

Saltmarsh - on heroic at level this is a great challenge, scaling is dangerous but mobs arent excessive hit points but they hit a lot harder than at level mobs, legendary saltmarsh is a cakewalk. Gear is meah on heroic but epic/legendary is usable.

Isle of Dread - simply put these is easy fluff, not much challenge, it maybe for heroics that it is hard to design for that level as toons are now coming into some of their strengths on the builds. Scaling doesnt seem aggressive and the gear is meah again, although some of the augments are fantastic.

My perspective of course is biased as my playstyle is running at adjusted quest level -2, and mostly running heroic content, i rarely play my non permadeath epic toons due to the boringness.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I grew up on Greyhawk and so I do gravitate to more traditional medieval/fantasy setting. With that being said.. I don't see why there shouldn't be these other aspects brought into the game (it's not my world only). I do have to say that I always had a distaste for Expedition to Barrier Peaks because it felt like Gamma World had vurped on my most beloved of realms. 👽

I really like the idea of pirates/raiders in the game, but to some degree I would say they are just a bit on the cartoony/stereotype side in their design perhaps? Still fun to have though!

"As a paying customer, I think it might, must might, be wise for the people at SSG to listen to my suggestions. Why? Because I am telling them exactly what I am willing to pay for." Wow... that sounds really ego-centric? If you were the only one keeping Standing Stone Games afloat that might be wise advice, but until then it's just advice, and maybe not even good advice at that (from a marketing perspective). 🤑

Last edited:

Arimov

Wow... that sounds really ego-centric? If you were the only one keeping Standing Stone Games afloat that might be wise advice, but until then it's just advice, and maybe not even good advice at that (from a marketing perspective).
Another thread exists with the same request. So, maybe, I am representative of a certain section of the population. It seems quite a few in this (these) discussion(s) are saying, "steampunk, or nothing. Like it, or lump it." I really do not see how, when this is a forum for suggestions, I end up in a debate over whether my suggestion is good or not. SSG asks for suggestions. I gave mine. I am entitled to do that as much as anyone else playing the game. I find it rather jejune that people feel the need to pick apart my suggestions. They are just that - suggestions. SSG can take them, or leave them, as they will.

Last edited:

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
It's not the request, it's how it is presented, and you definitely come across as entitled. I haven't seen the other thread, so I can't really comment on that. Suggestions are going to get picked apart, that's part of the point of placing them in a forum space. I would actually be upset if my ideas weren't picked apart. How good are they if they can't withstand criticism, discussion, and debate?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.