Some People Like the Pirate Motif, Some People Enjoy Steampunk, Others Enjoy the Medieval Setting Most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arimov

The main game is Eberron. I for one am glad the setting is represented in a game. The only other is a weird D&D RTS.

That said, I'm all for more non-Eberron stuff coming to the game, especially content based on actual PNP modules. But a lot of the reason I'm here is the pulp fiction stuff you don't seem to like. I hope SSG keeps updating this part of the game too. There are innumerable high fantasy and medieval-themed RPG and adventure video games out there. There's only one Eberron.
OTB D&D, Chainmail, was first.

Arimov

No. You're rewriting history and making a false narrative out of your opinion.

By the FR expansion you mean MOTU, which added some decent story but mainly introduced epic levels and EDs.

It's story content was good but not exactly a stellar leap from the existing content before MOTU.

And the expansion after MOTU was IMO the worst we've ever had.

So yeah I can see what you think and can understand why you think it. You're entitled to your opinion, but I object to you attempting to dress it up as fact.

Pre MOTU heroic content was fine imo, far from a test bed. MOTU was decent. Not a patch on RL though. Again, only my opinion. I think you'd find there were a lot more players pre MOTU than now, for example. Not bad for a test bed. 🙂👍
MOTU was a large step above the previous content, and nothing even close to it existed, until ToEE, and now Vecna. Eberron started out tiny. SSG has continuing money problems. They had a lot when WB took it. They need a large cash infusion. They certainly needed it back then. It is the red-headed step-child of WotC. People quit because it was a long time before anything new came out. And, it was dribs and drabs. That is why I did not come back for a long time. I, personally, do not enjoy playing the same content over and over.

Arimov

In fairness, Ravenloft was quite a bit more, and the new Sharn stuff, too. Honestly, I play Sharn for fast leveling. Like others, unfortunately, I play P.1 & P.2 over and over. The quests are short. The Exp sufficiently large, and you get a quick bonus for a rank or guild leveling at the end. This, though, is a consequence of the reincarnation scheme, which is either time-consuming or costly, if one wants to develop a poweful character in the game. It can be both time-consuming and costly. Brusquely, I thought WoT was expensive, until I returned to this. Yes, it is F-to-P, but ... if you want a toon with power, it gets expensive.

TeamScorpioRI

Let me start off by saying that I agree in part with the OP. Having the option to have a guild castle vs a guild airship would be nice. It would add some variety to the setting. And while I like the concept, I don't see this happening. I just do not think SSG has the resources to pull off adding this to the settings. Airships were kind of the "easy way out" when the player base was asking for guild housing. We already had the entry points graphicly in game (the airship point in the market was already there, and I believe was in other parts as well. If its wasn't, its just a simple "cut and paste" graphic in the other houses) so it was a decent and simple access point that could be put in all areas and it would blend in. Just the ships themselves needed to be designed, and they did a great job, IMO.

With the castle idea, where would we put the access points? The simple answer would be having a weyfinder/portal next to the ship access point that would take you to an open area where you can ride up to your castle and enter it (kind of like riding up to the castle in feywild). So as you build bigger castles (like getting bigger airships) you would see the change. Then they would need to design the castles themselves (probably a dozen different variaties, adding walls, motes, ramparts, customizable banners to fly and hang from the walls, etc). This would be a HUGE graphical undertaking and probably be a whole expansion in itself. Would SSG do this instead of new dungeons and gear? Probably not, unfortunately. They have the airships, and I think they would see guild castles as a waste of effective resources.

What I propose is a compromise. If you want castles, what if we take that concept and apply it to something that the player base has been requesting for as nearly as long as guild housing... PLAYER HOUSING!

Players can build their own housing, and the style of the house would depend on which realm the house is acquired in. If you want castles, you build a player house in Eveningstar. Want more steampunk, then its purchased in Eberron. Access points already exist in Erberron in the form of many unused doors in the marketplace. This could be expanded to off shoots like Feywild (put a door in the back of the castle courtyard), Sharn (there is a HUGE area that is built that is not being used) and Ravenloft (sure, if you want to buy one of those houses in town.. kinda depressing, but you do you Mr Edgelord). This is something players have been asking for for years, and would bring in more revenue per player than doing it guild wise as well. Might be the perfect compromise for everyone?

droid327

The main video game, orginally, had very little to it, until the Forgotten Realms expansion pack was added. Forgotten Realms, unlike Eberron, contained cut-scenes, a thorough story line, and more attention to the visual elements. Eberron was just to initially bring in players. It was more like a test scenario. It still lacks robust story-telling and, even a partial, cinematic experience.

That is objectively false. There are storylines running through nearly every single pack of pre-MotU content if you care to pay attention to them, and there are plenty of cutscenes in quest lines like Gianthold and Chronoscope. Unfortunately. Because cutscenes absolutely suuuuck and I hate they keep using them without creating a skip mechanic.

If you just prefer the "classic" stuff like Faerun, that's perfectly fine, but just because you dont like Eberron content doesnt mean its objectively bad content or wasnt designed as well as the stuff you prefer.

Also...you're coming off really hostile in many of your posts, which I think is why you're getting such hostility in return...

Jack Jarvis Esquire

MOTU was the FIRST expansion.

Get your facts straight.

All those previous expansions you're comparing MOTU to, weren't expansions. They were all adventure packs and had zero incremental cost to VIP players.

I'm afraid this continued twisting of fact to suit your opinion is just nonsense. And that I'm afraid really undemines any point you are trying to make.

If you want people to treat your opinions with respect, don't try to play games. Many of us have been around too long and seen too much of this behaviour to give it credence now.

So to your original point:
/not signed
Whatever it was.

Talking patently inaccurate nonsense doesn't merit my support.

Arimov

There exists an Eveningstar key and a Feywild Tuning Fork. So, I see someone mentioned how the mechanics should work. I also see that someone responded with something similar, an answer to it. The game devs do not need to make castles floating down. They can just issue a transport button, an item like those aforementioned. Then, everyone who has their own castle could teleport ("bamf") to their castle in their own pocket dimension (or astral plane location).

Status
Not open for further replies.