Some People Like the Pirate Motif, Some People Enjoy Steampunk, Others Enjoy the Medieval Setting Most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arimov

I mean they did, but they were very unlike the Age of Sail pirates we usually think of

That being said, while I like the aesthetic grab-bag that DDO's format allows it, I wouldn't mind circling back to a more High Fantasy concept for a release or two either. Fey was, but it was so whimsical

I don't think astral castles fit into the lore though, and couldn't just be swapped in for guild ships functionality
Eberron originally came in a boxed set about Planescapes in the 90s, published by TSR. It is all about travelling between the planes. Astral castles fits the concept perfectly. Gamers, who were not OTB D&D gamers, are not familiar with the earlier products or precedents. If you are not familiar with the handwritten/published material, then, maybe, you should familiarise yourself with it.

WotC and SSG went with Eberron and planescapes because they forecasted a future ability to include whatever expansion packs they wanted and/or could make them money. Their goal is to make money. They welcome suggestions because they are looking for new ways to make money. Leaving the game static for a long period of time will not make them more money. They want to grow their product and expand their fanbase, thereby, making more money.

Memnir

Eberron originally came in a boxed set about Planescapes in the 90s, published by TSR.
Eberron had nothing to do with the Planescape boxset. They weren't even released in the same editions of the game. Planescape was released by TSR in 1994 at the twilight of 2nd edition. Eberron was released a decade later, in 2004 as a result of WotC's Fantasy Setting Search in 2002 (Eberron was the winning submission by Keith Baker) after the very well received launch of 3rd Edition in 2000.

Eberron was WotC's attempt to have their own 100% brand new game world upon which to build. A setting that had nothing to do with the TSR days, or the perceived baggage that came with those settings (including Planescape) by some in WotC after they bought the D&D licence from the death of TSR.

So, again - no. Eberron and Planescape have nothing to do with each other at their origins. Astral castles would only "fit perfectly" in the sense that right from the start it was stated in the Eberron sourcebook that anything found in D&D would have a place in Eberron if the DM wanted it to. But not because they are intrinsically linked.

Last edited:

Lagin

Eberron had nothing to do with the Planescape boxset. They weren't even released in the same editions of the game. Planescape was released by TSR in 1994 at the twilight of 2nd edition. Eberron was released a decade later, in 2004 as a result of WotC's Fantasy Setting Search in 2002 (Eberron was the winning submission by Keith Baker) after the very well received launch of 3rd Edition in 2000.

Eberron was WotC's attempt to have their own 100% brand new game world upon which to build. A setting that had nothing to do with the TSR days, or the perceived baggage that came with those settings (including Planescape) by some in WotC after they bought the D&D licence from the death of TSR.

So, again - no. Eberron and Planescape have nothing to do with each other at their origins. Astral castles would only "fit perfectly" in the sense that right from the start it was stated in the Eberron sourcebook that anything found in D&D would have a place in Eberron if the DM wanted it to. But not because they are intrinsically linked.
correctamundo.
No sense going any further with this one old buddy, he has a very narrow view on feedback of his threads.

Lagin

Eberron originally came in a boxed set about Planescapes in the 90s, published by TSR. It is all about travelling between the planes. Astral castles fits the concept perfectly. Gamers, who were not OTB D&D gamers, are not familiar with the earlier products or precedents. If you are not familiar with the handwritten/published material, then, maybe, you should familiarise yourself with it.

WotC and SSG went with Eberron and planescapes because they forecasted a future ability to include whatever expansion packs they wanted and/or could make them money. Their goal is to make money. They welcome suggestions because they are looking for new ways to make money. Leaving the game static for a long period of time will not make them more money. They want to grow their product and expand their fanbase, thereby, making more money.
who is "they"?
WotC lost 90% of its players with crappy rule sets, 3.5 then the disaster of 4.0. 5e saved them, Your reference to SSG is incorrect, It was Turbine, & it's parent company, and like the other D&D based video games, variants were issued, with restrictions (follow the money). *proper lore would have warforged killed on sight in Fareun, but Turbine got WotC to allow it. $$$$.
So again, you're promoting your posts as cannon, There are a few of us on here playing D&D since the 70's. So tread lightly in your references to proper lore.

I encourage you to keep posting ideas, just don't your undies all twisted up if you don't like the feedback.

PaleFox

who is "they"?
WotC lost 90% of its players with crappy rule sets, 3.5 then the disaster of 4.0. 5e saved them, Your reference to SSG is incorrect, It was Turbine, & it's parent company, and like the other D&D based video games, variants were issued, with restrictions (follow the money). *proper lore would have warforged killed on sight in Fareun, but Turbine got WotC to allow it. $$$$.
So again, you're promoting your posts as cannon, There are a few of us on here playing D&D since the 70's. So tread lightly in your references to proper lore.

I encourage you to keep posting ideas, just don't your undies all twisted up if you don't like the feedback.
I'd say keep up with the current lore then, like Lantan never existed...
Btw, if Dragon magazine is official enough to count as lore (for some of us it is) then take a look at origin stories of issue 371.

Lagin

I'd say keep up with the current lore then, like Lantan never existed...
Btw, if Dragon magazine is official enough to count as lore (for some of us it is) then take a look at origin stories of issue 371.
stopped reading that 20 years ago. No desire to play the look this up game, what does it say?

PaleFox

stopped reading that 20 years ago. No desire to play the look this up game, what does it say?
The lieu of it is that any out of context race might be found in thematically fitting places, and the backstory is making somewhat sense.
Gives a whole list of where Wareforged could be found, why they might be there and would even go so far that it doesn't have to be a singled out event persee.
It also gives examples of other races and why you might find those somewhere.
Anyway, as always if the DM and the player group are ok with it.

droid327

I think you're conflating Eberron with Spelljammer. That's the setting with "pirate-style" ships sailing between worlds/settings/spheres. And that is far more piratey than Eberron, which is usually considered the "steampunk" setting...ie more Regency and Victorian aesthetic, 1800s as opposed to 16-1700s.

No castles there in the medieval "walls of stone" style, and I really dont think you're talking about "astral castles" thinking of a Sleeping Beauty Castle-style Neuschwanstein in the sky... Also, again, mechanically it wouldnt make sense that a flying castle descends down from the heavens to let you on and off at every Airship tower in Eberron.

WotC and Turbine went with Eberron because, at the time, Faerun was already being heavily developed and they would only license the IP if they went to a different setting, and Eberron had just been released (2004) when the game was being developed (2005-2006) so that was what Wizards wanted to promote.

Arimov

I think you're conflating Eberron with Spelljammer. That's the setting with "pirate-style" ships sailing between worlds/settings/spheres. And that is far more piratey than Eberron, which is usually considered the "steampunk" setting...ie more Regency and Victorian aesthetic, 1800s as opposed to 16-1700s.

No castles there in the medieval "walls of stone" style, and I really dont think you're talking about "astral castles" thinking of a Sleeping Beauty Castle-style Neuschwanstein in the sky... Also, again, mechanically it wouldnt make sense that a flying castle descends down from the heavens to let you on and off at every Airship tower in Eberron.

WotC and Turbine went with Eberron because, at the time, Faerun was already being heavily developed and they would only license the IP if they went to a different setting, and Eberron had just been released (2004) when the game was being developed (2005-2006) so that was what Wizards wanted to promote.
Nope, not Spelljammer, and not Sleeping Beauty. I mean between the planes of existence. A middle-plane that leads to all others. Think more along the lines of "Princes in Amber" by Roger Zelazny.

Alrik Fassbauer

Some people like the pirate motif, while others enjoy steampunk. Still, others Enjoy the medieval setting most. I, for one, prefer gaming systems based around the worlds like Middle-Earth (yes, I know the devs have a separate game for that), Krynn, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk. I - for one - prefer medieval-type game settings. So, if I make a request, it most likely will not be for pirate-y or steampunk-y content. That is just me - and maybe some others. If someone does not like my ideas for what I would like to see in the game. So be it. But, asking for an astral castle in lieu of a pirate ship - Well, that is just accounting for taste (one's personal preference). If you don't like the idea of an astral castle (should it become available), then do not buy it. Pirate ships (the most elite) cost about 200 euros. I did spend about 100 euros on a lesser ship. Nonetheless, I would like to see astral castles. And, as I am a paying customer, I am willing to pay 200 euros for an astral castle. I am much more likely to purchase an astral castle DLC, than I am a pirate ship. I am much more likely to pay for knight, princess, and dragon DLC, than pirate-y or steampunk-y content. As a paying customer, I think it might, must might, be wise for the people at SSG to listen to my suggestions. Why? Because I am telling them exactly what I am willing to pay for.

What I like by far MOST of DDO is - it's variety.

I can have almost everything.

And that's the most fun aspect for playing for me.

Of course I prefer some settings over others, but variety is what makes - imho - a good meal tasty.

Blunt Hackett

Some people like the pirate motif, while others enjoy steampunk. Still, others Enjoy the medieval setting most. I, for one, prefer gaming systems based around the worlds like Middle-Earth (yes, I know the devs have a separate game for that), Krynn, Forgotten Realms, and Greyhawk. I - for one - prefer medieval-type game settings. So, if I make a request, it most likely will not be for pirate-y or steampunk-y content. That is just me - and maybe some others. If someone does not like my ideas for what I would like to see in the game. So be it. But, asking for an astral castle in lieu of a pirate ship - Well, that is just accounting for taste (one's personal preference). If you don't like the idea of an astral castle (should it become available), then do not buy it. Pirate ships (the most elite) cost about 200 euros. I did spend about 100 euros on a lesser ship. Nonetheless, I would like to see astral castles. And, as I am a paying customer, I am willing to pay 200 euros for an astral castle. I am much more likely to purchase an astral castle DLC, than I am a pirate ship. I am much more likely to pay for knight, princess, and dragon DLC, than pirate-y or steampunk-y content. As a paying customer, I think it might, must might, be wise for the people at SSG to listen to my suggestions. Why? Because I am telling them exactly what I am willing to pay for.
The main game is Eberron. I for one am glad the setting is represented in a game. The only other is a weird D&D RTS.

That said, I'm all for more non-Eberron stuff coming to the game, especially content based on actual PNP modules. But a lot of the reason I'm here is the pulp fiction stuff you don't seem to like. I hope SSG keeps updating this part of the game too. There are innumerable high fantasy and medieval-themed RPG and adventure video games out there. There's only one Eberron.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
The main game is Eberron. I for one am glad the setting is represented in a game. The only other is a weird D&D RTS.

That said, I'm all for more non-Eberron stuff coming to the game, especially content based on actual PNP modules. But a lot of the reason I'm here is the pulp fiction stuff you don't seem to like. I hope SSG keeps updating this part of the game too. There are innumerable high fantasy and medieval-themed RPG and adventure video games out there. There's only one Eberron.
This, honestly, is a better way of representing my own opinion than I myself managed. I concede I may have misinterpreted the original post, which, as I read it, felt like a request that the devs stop making Eberron-themed stuff because a single paying customer disliked the setting.

Regardless, since the original poster's approach to their idea being discussed (in a discussion forum) is apparently to treat any criticism as a personal attack and accuse other users of gaslighting them, and their most vocal supporter appears to be under the impression that I replied to the post simply to stifle it instead of explaining why I disagreed, I shall be taking my leave of this thread before Godwin's Law is invoked and the whole mess descends into a flame war.

shmagmhar

I want to see some more post-apocalyptic desert stuff in the sands of Menechtarun similar to darksun in someways but we are allowed to take our metal weapons there .

calouscaine

Grouchy Vet
Could just put flying islands/what not in the fae run areas, since there's no air ship stuff there. Assuming they add more faerun content.
I'm a big fan of all settings, faerun, ravenloft, dragonlance, etc. Never played much if any greyhawk or desert sun. . .at least that I can recall. And my only experience with ebberon is with ddo.
That said, I see no issue myself, with any additional content so long as it is well made. Both visually, story, and content wise. The feywild and isle of dread were a far cry from salt marsh, ravenloft, or evening star and certainly showed a lack of attention to detail and ascetics for what could have been an amazing visual and adventure experience. Any added content that has multiple leveled areas is good content, so long as it is thoughtfully done and doesn't look like a half baked recycled gianthold map with plants (feywild).
But I digress, I think the idea of the option to change up from a guild ship to some other guild headquarters isn't a bad idea. A guild hall which allows for deco as well as the buff rooms, or castle, or what ever, would be a good optional thing. I don't believe there is a current deco system in game so they'd have to make one or copy paste it from lotr (pretty sure I've read they have housing and such there), but it would be nice.

Eberron originally came in a boxed set about Planescapes in the 90s, published by TSR. It is all about travelling between the planes.
That’s such utter hogwash, I’m left wondering where such a ludicrously hilarious notion came from.

From Wikipedia: “Eberron was created by author and game designer Keith Baker as the winning entry for Wizards of the Coast's Fantasy Setting Search, a competition run in 2002 to establish a new setting for the D&D game. Eberron was chosen from more than 11,000 entries, and was officially released with the publication of the Eberron Campaign Setting hardback book in June 2004.”

misterski

That’s such utter hogwash, I’m left wondering where such a ludicrously hilarious notion came from.

From Wikipedia: “Eberron was created by author and game designer Keith Baker as the winning entry for Wizards of the Coast's Fantasy Setting Search, a competition run in 2002 to establish a new setting for the D&D game. Eberron was chosen from more than 11,000 entries, and was officially released with the publication of the Eberron Campaign Setting hardback book in June 2004.”
Thanks, that statement had me scratching my head in confusion but I didn't bother looking it up.

Arimov

This, honestly, is a better way of representing my own opinion than I myself managed. I concede I may have misinterpreted the original post, which, as I read it, felt like a request that the devs stop making Eberron-themed stuff because a single paying customer disliked the setting.

Regardless, since the original poster's approach to their idea being discussed (in a discussion forum) is apparently to treat any criticism as a personal attack and accuse other users of gaslighting them, and their most vocal supporter appears to be under the impression that I replied to the post simply to stifle it instead of explaining why I disagreed, I shall be taking my leave of this thread before Godwin's Law is invoked and the whole mess descends into a flame war.
which, as I read it, felt like a request that the devs stop making Eberron-themed stuff because a single paying customer disliked the setting.
Nowhere in my suggestion did I include discontinuing any content. I simply made a suggestion for additonal content. Anyone who does not understand that needs to work on their reading comprehension skills. Nowhere did I state, "stop making pirate content or steampunk content, instead make only medieval content." People really have screwy ways of twisting things in their minds. Try reading the words for their content, not the "between-the-lines" method.

Arimov

The main video game, orginally, had very little to it, until the Forgotten Realms expansion pack was added. Forgotten Realms, unlike Eberron, contained cut-scenes, a thorough story line, and more attention to the visual elements. Eberron was just to initially bring in players. It was more like a test scenario. It still lacks robust story-telling and, even a partial, cinematic experience. Their Forgotten Realms content and TOEE got a lot more attention. The Eberron stuff still has no robust, lengthy, story-line or story-telling. People play the same quests over-and-over again. After completing everything for the first time, I left for several years (maybe close to 10). Playing the same content over-and-over again... I am not certain why I continue to stay or pay money, but I do. I guess I see a lot of potential. I guess I am hopeful that they will expand it to do something more, perhaps Krynn with an investment in story-telling and a more cinematic experience. Pardon me for wanting, or asking for more. Given the massive amounts of money I (and I am certain some others) have dumped into the game, you would think SSG would feel some compulsion to invest that money into something a little more for the game. I would like to see more Forgotten Realms, and some Krynn. I like the whole castle idea. That is just me. If you like pirates, ask for more pirates. If you like flying ships, have at it. If you like steampunk, by all means, knock yourself out playing steampunk. I have no problem with people enjoying their lives however they wish. Live and let live.

Status
Not open for further replies.