Steelmaiden - U60

--- EDIT -- Writeup is now available, See Page 2.

With the changes introduced in U60 it was time to make a couple of modifications to the Steelmaiden.

She is now 12 Fighter 4 Paladin 4 Artificer

Playing with the macrotech destiny T5 abilities I was able to get her AC into the 730s. However it cost about 900 hit points to do so. So I felt that this was the better setup.

Please note this is a ZERO DPS build. The goal is to survive.

Stats :
14 Dex
18 Con <- Level ups HERE
14 Int
14 Cha

Dump STR and WIS. If you have leftover points maybe add more INT for more skill points.

Feats: Like previous Steelmaiden builds take a ton of TOUGHNESS. Shield Mastery Line. Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise. Scion Of Celestia, Legendary Toughness.

If you can take a PRR feat do it unless it grants less than 6 PRR. Otherwise take toughness.

Enhancements
Stalwart ( Most of your points here )
Sacred Defender 23 points (For tier 4 Armor Mastery)
Renegade Master Maker 13 Points (Armor Mastery in Tier 3)

Take any enhancements that add to MAX DEX bonus. (This allows me to have 28% dodge in heavy armor)

Gear: 7 Pieces of Winter, IOD Weapon, Cogs Heavy Shield. ( If you don't understand why not a tower shield then you don't understand dodge.)

I am still playing with options. Once I have a more concrete setup I'll post a better guide. ( Time and Life permitting )

Last edited:

PraetorPlato

How are you feeling in terms of magic damage? Both ac and dodge look great for all physical content, but especially in the new Vecna content, force and magic damage are feeling like they hit harder than physical. 163 MRR feels a bit low for raids like KT, THTH, etc. on reaper—do you have any ways to work around that?

(Basically, does this feel like fence post security on physical damage?)

Last edited:

Lacci

Playing with the macrotech destiny T5 abilities I was able to get her AC into the 730s.
Is that correct ? I mean, how ?
With my best tank build I got to like 215. I wouldn´t be surprised if better players would push that to 300, but I don´t see how it´s possible to squeeze out 500 more AC.

PraetorPlato

It's a mix of percentage multipliers, past lives, and just more flat bonuses—make sure you have protection, natural armor, etc. bonuses to HP, and then add Sac def AC%, wiz/Art Ac%, grandfather's shield 3-piece, artifact bonus etc. Then you get 60 more base from martial past lives.

Thulsadoom

With the changes introduced in U60 it was time to make a couple of modifications to the Steelmaiden.

She is now 12 Fighter 4 Paladin 4 Artificer

Playing with the macrotech destiny T5 abilities I was able to get her AC into the 730s. However it cost about 900 hit points to do so. So I felt that this was the better setup.

Please note this is a ZERO DPS build. The goal is to survive.

Stats :
14 Dex
18 Con <- Level ups HERE
14 Int
14 Cha

Dump STR and WIS. If you have leftover points maybe add more INT for more skill points.

Feats: Like previous Steelmaiden builds take a ton of TOUGHNESS. Shield Mastery Line. Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise. Scion Of Celestia, Legendary Toughness.

If you can take a PRR feat do it unless it grants less than 6 PRR. Otherwise take toughness.

Enhancements
Stalwart ( Most of your points here )
Sacred Defender 23 points (For tier 4 Armor Mastery)
Renegade Master Maker 13 Points (Armor Mastery in Tier 3)

Take any enhancements that add to MAX DEX bonus. (This allows me to have 28% dodge in heavy armor)

Gear: 7 Pieces of Winter, IOD Weapon, Cogs Heavy Shield. ( If you don't understand why not a tower shield then you don't understand dodge.)

I am still playing with options. Once I have a more concrete setup I'll post a better guide. ( Time and Life permitting )
Great! So why do you prefer large sheild over tower? For the Dodge you said. Tower sheild gives you, ignore grazing hits. I think having no grazing hits is significant also. Just playing devils advocate is all :D. Love the steel maiden over the years.

I dont Like gimps

Great! So why do you prefer large sheild over tower? For the Dodge you said. Tower sheild gives you, ignore grazing hits. I think having no grazing hits is significant also. Just playing devils advocate is all :D. Love the steel maiden over the years.
I mean a Towershield brings your dodge down to Like 4-8% depending enhancements etc so 20% dodge vs 40 Prr and (I didnt know ) grazing immunity? I take the dodge day and night I mean grazing Hits are allmost negative dmg allready sooo

How are you feeling in terms of magic damage? Both ac and dodge look great for all physical content, but especially in the new Vecna content, force and magic damage are feeling like they hit harder than physical. 163 MRR feels a bit low for raids like KT, THTH, etc. on reaper—do you have any ways to work around that?

(Basically, does this feel like fence post security on physical damage?)
While wearing a large shield you MRR is doubled against anything that allows a reflex save. This gives her an effective MRR of 326. And yes the Nothic Warriors hurt. It generally takes a few shots from them to take her down. While running the new quests on R10 the nothic Warriors killed her a couple of times. However at the time I was running in the Macrotech destiny ( -900 HP ) and did not have the sentinel GO BIG 10k temp hit point button.

HighLordPudding

I see you went 4 palidin and 4 artificer instead of the previous 5 palidin and 3 arti. Wha is the reason for that? Just that you no longer need the 5 pali since you went T5 stalwart?

Also is the screen shot you posted inside a reaper quest? or is it in a public area?

Thanks for sharing

Coffey

I am curious for the switch to Tier 5 Stalwart Defense.

Artificer 4 bonus feat Combat Expertise?

Looking forward to seeing the new build!

Thulsadoom

I mean a Towershield brings your dodge down to Like 4-8% depending enhancements etc so 20% dodge vs 40 Prr and (I didnt know ) grazing immunity? I take the dodge day and night I mean grazing Hits are allmost negative dmg allready sooo
I was thinking of grazing hit from a doom reaper would be alot when I made the comment. I understand the value :D

wdhvenrick

My cookie-cutter DPS barb has 140+ MRR..why is yours so low (for a tank)?
Tanks using either heavy shields experience a x2 multiplier to effective mrr. So even with 160 mrr base, any magic attack is being negated as if it's 320 mrr
"Originally Posted by Vargouille Source on October 2, 2014
Magical Resistance Rating (MRR) should work vs. traps and most other damage sources (not just spells). If you are wielding a heavy or tower shield, your MRR values are considered doubled against damage that can be halved with a Reflex save (whether traps or spells)."

Well after tweaking some gear and farming a few items (Thank you peeps who passed me crafting ingredients.) I have polisher her up a little.

This pic is 100% self buffed in a reaper quest.
7 Pieces of Winter
3 Abishai
Dino Ring Artifact.
Dino Weapon
Ravenloft Goggles

710 AC
134 Intim
2286% Threat
28% Dodge
7500 ish HP
> 400 PRR

I still need to slot a +5 insightful Charisma augment.
I will try to make time later this week for a more complete writeup

Vox

I'm surprised that you're not in GoTG + LGS + Heart of Sully, howeveryour AC certainly is good!

Any chance you could help out with a breakdown please? I would love to know what I'm missing. I'm only assuming core 4 macrotech, various %AC filigree & reaper armour etc.

How do you go vs elemental/magic damage raids? I'm guessing your elemental absorb is lower than standard loadout?

HoopleHead

Everybody loves a tank... they just aren't fun to play. Eventually the build adjusts/modifies.. & inevitably it becomes a thick-skinned DPS build :)

Folks want those massive crits...

Does AC actually serve any purpose in a game that has evolved to push PRR/MRR?

wdhvenrick

Everybody loves a tank... they just aren't fun to play. Eventually the build adjusts/modifies.. & inevitably it becomes a thick-skinned DPS build :)

Folks want those massive crits...

Does AC actually serve any purpose in a game that has evolved to push PRR/MRR?
Yes it does. Raid bosses usually will still clock you no matter how much AC you get but you can just watch all the misses roll in once trash spawns. Makes the job of the person managing CC easier when you can just hold everything. And tanks aren't a daily driver build but designed for static groups that wish to push the difficulty on raids.