The New Player Paladin Handbook

With the new forums and the Josh Strife video I figured now would be the best time for new player guides. DDO is a complex game and what may be the optimal choices for experienced players and characters may not be the most optimal choices for new players. We have many lovely builders that share their creations with the community but a guide, rather than a build, is less common to find. The great thing about DDO is creating the character you want to play so I wanted something that would empower a new player to make their own choices rather than give them a cooking recipe to play a game.

This is a guide to playing a Paladin in Dungeons and Dragons Online intended for new players or players new to Paladin. Due to the immense complexity of DDO the scope of this guide was narrowed in build choices and what I believe the most common new player experiences may be. It focuses on pure Paladin, no archetypes, no universal trees, and no reaper mode.

I know reaper mode is often considered the default and I will mention it when appropriate but the focus will be on Normal/Hard/Elite. If you are a competitive new player that will likely want to get into the higher difficulties at some point, this guide can still help you jump straight into DDO. The advice is focused on new players and the leveling experience but the build choices are easily respecced to be optimized for endgame/reaper mode at a later point.

I stole Arcanaverse’s idea to format similar to RPGBot’s guides which uses a rating system they stole from Treantmonk who is apparently some Pathfinder guy.

★☆☆☆ Red: Bad, useless options, or options which are extremely situational. Nearly never useful.
★★☆☆ Orange: OK options, or useful options that only apply in rare circumstances. Useful sometimes.
★★★☆ Green: Good options. Useful often.
★★★★ Blue: Fantastic options, often essential to the function of your character. Useful very frequently.

This is more meant to be a class guide, not a build guide. I will point out the better build options and may give examples but ultimately I want to empower you to be able to create the Paladin that you want to play and make it your own. There are many content creators who have made a number of different Paladin builds aimed for new players, these can be helpful to look at and hopefully this guide can help make sense of their build decisions.

This guide is also not all encompassing, I do not provide a description of what every feat or ability is. I simply comment on its usefulness. I highly recommend going to the DDOWiki or DDOCompendium websites to look things up and get familiar with the wikis.

Guide is in a google doc because it's easier for me to format and add pictures, so here's the link below. The guide is not totally complete yet, there are still some details I want to expand on and add visual aids for but I wanted to open it up to feedback that is constructive for it being a new player guide.

Please feel free to share it if you think it can be useful.

Table of Contents

• The New Player Paladin Handbook
    • Class Features
    • Fighting Styles
    • Ability Scores
    • Races
    • Skills
    • Eberron Deities
    • Feats
      • Melee Fighting Style Feats
      • Ranged Feats
      • Dex 13 Required
      • General and Flex Feats
      • Metamagics
      • Dragonmarks (Race Specific Feats)
    • Knight of the Chalice (KotC)
    • Sacred Defender (SaD)
    • Vanguard (Van)
    • Spells
  • Epic Paladin (Level 20+)
    • Feats (Level 20+)
      • Heroic Feats
      • Epic Feats
      • Epic Destiny Feats
    • Epic Destinies
    • Main T5 Destiny
    • Epic Strike
    • Mantle
  • Building A Paladin Continued
    • Premium Races
    • Iconic Races
      • Forgotten Realms Deities
    • Multiclassing Paladin
    • Ability Scores for “Mainstat”
    • Universal Trees
  • Understanding Damage
    • D20 System
    • Criticals
    • Melee Power
    • Double Strike and Doubleshot
    • Sneak Attack
  • Understanding Defenses
    • Effective Hit Points (EHP)
      • Physical Resistance Rating
      • Dodge
      • Concealment
      • Incorporeality
    • Armor Class
  • Magical EHP
    • Magical Resistance Rating
    • Saves
    • Absorption
    • Avoidance

Edit: Added a skills section and changed some stuff on archers after playing one.
5/21: Added epic and legendary content.
5/29: Added advanced section going over damage/defense systems and did some formatting.

Last edited:

Cashery

Suggest adding PDK for race:

Charisma to hit and damage in racial tree for 2 AP, 3 total spent in racial tree. allows you to dump STR.
Also gives Bastard Sword if you choose to follow Helm.
Extra feat like Humans.
You can basically max CON/CHA by choosing PDK.

Last edited:

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
Another race suggestion - Aasimar (Bastard Sword proficiency from Celestial Tutelage, racial lay on hands that uses wisdom, bonds, ascendent bonds, etc). The obvious drawback is Aasimar is premium, so that may be reason to not rate it as high as Dragonborn or Half Orc.

Hammatimes

Suggest adding PDK for race:

Charisma to hit and damage in racial tree for 2 AP, 3 total spent in racial tree. allows you to dump STR.
Also gives Bastard Sword if you choose to follow Helm.
Extra feat like Humans.
You can basically max CON/CHA by choosing PDK.
Hi thanks for reading

As the title and introduction suggests, this is meant for new players and I felt it was inappropriate to tell new players to buy an iconic race, a +heart of wood as well as a tome so that way they can still have the strength for THF feats on a cha based bsword build. I am working on a draft for an "intermediate" section that will include iconics and premium races as well. I also have a write up that goes over the few perks you can gain by going charisma based as well as all the drawbacks and why charisma based is typically a trap. Charisma based is an excellent flavor choice and I'll try to do what I can to steer players in the right direction with it.

Last edited:

Labuff

Race suggestion: Drow, because racial has imbue dice bonuses so a build relying on the imbue tree would enjoy it. Plus, base bonus to charisma is never a bad thing.

Buddha5440

I would recommend you mention that SnB should plan on using longsword,axe,Warhammer from lv 20-23 until they can get B. Sword as a favored weapon, unless they are iconic (in. Forgotten Realms). That way they can take advantage of Blessed Purpose from Ascendancy. Any Eberron race can get B. Sword at 23 with DC destiny.

Scrag

15 ap is a LOT of ap to burn in a racial tree for a weapon capability. Why couldn't you just take 2 fighter (pdk), and core 5 in some random pali tree? Thats free feats, and feats are always great :)

misterski

I would recommend you mention that SnB should plan on using longsword,axe,Warhammer from lv 20-23 until they can get B. Sword as a favored weapon, unless they are iconic (in. Forgotten Realms). That way they can take advantage of Blessed Purpose from Ascendancy. Any Eberron race can get B. Sword at 23 with DC destiny.
One thing I would like is for deity weapon proficiency in DC Core 1. Core 1 is missing something in there, all the other EDs have something besides just the core bonus in their Core 1. Core 1 makes you proficient, Axiom of Faith makes it favored.

eshadowbringer

I think the format is super friendly to new players. I would certainly point anyone new to something like this if it were currently updated and available!

Quick glance improved critical does not double the crit range anymore it was changed several years ago. Still often essential. But much better for some weapons than others

Hammatimes

Hi thanks for reading, this is a great point about B.sword favored weapon status but for a newbie wanting to play SnB I wanted to steer them towards having AOE for a better leveling experience. By using vanguard as their main tree they can get access to all the CC and shield specific bonuses as well as having a favored weapon agnostic tree to allow them to use B.swords since outside of T5 KotC the bonuses of a favored weapon are relatively minor. Adding some example builds will help clear this up I think so I'll try to finish those.

I think the format is super friendly to new players. I would certainly point anyone new to something like this if it were currently updated and available!

Quick glance improved critical does not double the crit range anymore it was changed several years ago. Still often essential. But much better for some weapons than others
Yes it doesn't double the threat range of the weapon but I believe I said that it doubles the "natural" threat range of the weapon, which is still true. That's easy to miss though and I plan to go over crit profiles later.
I loved this. Thank you. Now to have a build guide for classic Str/Cha build and a Cha to dmg build using Feydark. :)
Next chapter! Hoping to knock it out this weekend.

eshadowbringer

Yes it doesn't double the threat range of the weapon but I believe I said that it doubles the "natural" threat range of the weapon, which is still true. That's easy to miss though and I plan to go over crit profiles later.
So, take falchion as an example. Natural crit range is 18-20 so "+2". IC slash adds +3 for falchion! So it is sometimes better.

eshadowbringer

Lol I'm on phone in the rain.. ha ha maybe I should wait to reply

Edited after I got to my computer!

I was really trying to be helpful and not critical! I think this is a great resource, and I am bookmarking the post. If you do more of these, would you please post a reference to it here, as I will be watching this thread for sure!

Last edited:

arrtee

Is Drow not a good option for Paladin? I thought the extra stats would be good for new players that might NOT have better stats unlocked yet.

Hammatimes

So, take falchion as an example. Natural crit range is 18-20 so "+2". IC slash adds +3 for falchion! So it is sometimes better.
A falchion crits on 18, 19, and 20 so would be considered to have a critical threat range of 3. Just as a Greataxe would crit on a 20 and have a critical threat range of 1. Thanks for the reply though it can be tricky wordy.

Is Drow not a good option for Paladin? I thought the extra stats would be good for new players that might NOT have better stats unlocked yet.
Drows do relatively get more stats than other classes but the bonuses are not as helpful. +2 to Dex can help meet TWF reqs but the TWF feat line is hard to fulfill without tomes so I try to steer new players away from it. +2 Charisma is nice, but pretty minor and the same for +2 Int. Their -2 Con is also not great. A paladin is already spread thin on attributes so meeting 17 Dex while also being Str based, needing Con and Charisma as well as enough Wis for casting does not sound like the best path for new players. On a Sacred Fist a Drow makes more sense since they can dump Str and focus on having enough Dex for feats and Charisma for everything else. Their tree is also relatively fairly weak, 16 AP for 2 imbue dice is not a great deal and short swords are not a well supported weapon type especially when compared to the ease of getting Nightforged Avenger longswords and free Knight's Training. A Welf offers the same +2 Dex bonus with a relatively harmless -2 Int along with a better racial tree.

Then compare to Dragonborn which has a +2 Strength and +2 Charisma with only a -2 to Dex, both increased stats are directly beneficial to a Paladin and the penalty is relatively minor.

For those that have the Feydark tree they can certainly make a flavorful Drow charisma based build using the Feydark shortswords, but it's a niche build utilizing a premium universal tree so I didn't include it.

arrtee

A falchion crits on 18, 19, and 20 so would be considered to have a critical threat range of 3. Just as a Greataxe would crit on a 20 and have a critical threat range of 1. Thanks for the reply though it can be tricky wordy.

Drows do relatively get more stats than other classes but the bonuses are not as helpful. +2 to Dex can help meet TWF reqs but the TWF feat line is hard to fulfill without tomes so I try to steer new players away from it. +2 Charisma is nice, but pretty minor and the same for +2 Int. Their -2 Con is also not great. A paladin is already spread thin on attributes so meeting 17 Dex while also being Str based, needing Con and Charisma as well as enough Wis for casting does not sound like the best path for new players. On a Sacred Fist a Drow makes more sense since they can dump Str and focus on having enough Dex for feats and Charisma for everything else. Their tree is also relatively fairly weak, 16 AP for 2 imbue dice is not a great deal and short swords are not a well supported weapon type especially when compared to the ease of getting Nightforged Avenger longswords and free Knight's Training. A Welf offers the same +2 Dex bonus with a relatively harmless -2 Int along with a better racial tree.

Then compare to Dragonborn which has a +2 Strength and +2 Charisma with only a -2 to Dex, both increased stats are directly beneficial to a Paladin and the penalty is relatively minor.

For those that have the Feydark tree they can certainly make a flavorful Drow charisma based build using the Feydark shortswords, but it's a niche build utilizing a premium universal tree so I didn't include it.
Thanks for the detailed reply!

eshadowbringer

Thanks for the clairification, I stand corrected!

Hammatimes

Guide is now updated with Epic and legendary content. There are a few details I already want to fix or expand on from suggestions but I'll be taking a break from writing this for a bit.

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
15 ap is a LOT of ap to burn in a racial tree for a weapon capability. Why couldn't you just take 2 fighter (pdk), and core 5 in some random pali tree? Thats free feats, and feats are always great :)

Agreed; I also don't think it's the main selling point of Aasimar, to be clear. I tried it a few weeks ago when I was bored. It's OK but I think it's more of a flavor build unless the player has a decent number of racial PLs (which I imagine is rare since the racial reincarnation grind sucks).

@Hammatimes You may want to make a note about Divine Sacrifice having a bug where if you block (at least with the shift key) while using it, it causes your character to perform an alternate attack animation that doesn't seem to ever hit anything.

Last edited: