unable to login since last update

bmhudson

Well-known member
I have not been able to login since the last update. I have submitted a help ticket but i never get a timely response from them. I am getting stuck with the message "Installing Pre-Requisites"
If anyone has a phone number to call for tech support that would be wonderful. At this point any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
 
Last edited:

CBDunk

Well-known member
It sounds like your problem is that the update is failing to fully install.

When I have had that problem I have been able to resolve it by switching to a faster / more stable connection. Maybe some time when there is lower internet traffic in your area.
 

bmhudson

Well-known member
It sounds like your problem is that the update is failing to fully install.

When I have had that problem I have been able to resolve it by switching to a faster / more stable connection. Maybe some time when there is lower internet traffic in your area.
I have tried this all hours of the day and night.
 

CBDunk

Well-known member
Looking at some of the many past discussions about this, some people have had luck in changing their trace path to the DDO server... by using a different ISP, disabling their VPN, or conversely going through a VPN when they usually do not.

Other suggestions;
Run as Administrator
Make sure all Windows updates are installed
Run the Repair option from the DDO installer
Set the DDO installer Download rate option as low as possible
Try using the Steam launcher instead of the default DDO launcher
Go to the installation folder and delete the file the installer is getting stuck on
Try the custom installer: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/ddo-wrapper-custom-installer.244/
Uninstall DDO completely and re-install from scratch (warning, takes a LONG time and may just make the problem worse)

All of these things have worked for some people in the past.
 

bmhudson

Well-known member
Looking at some of the many past discussions about this, some people have had luck in changing their trace path to the DDO server... by using a different ISP, disabling their VPN, or conversely going through a VPN when they usually do not.

Other suggestions;
Run as Administrator
Make sure all Windows updates are installed
Run the Repair option from the DDO installer
Set the DDO installer Download rate option as low as possible
Try using the Steam launcher instead of the default DDO launcher
Go to the installation folder and delete the file the installer is getting stuck on
Try the custom installer: https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/ddo-wrapper-custom-installer.244/
Uninstall DDO completely and re-install from scratch (warning, takes a LONG time and may just make the problem worse)

All of these things have worked for some people in the past.
How do you know which file is getting stuck?
How do I change the install rate?

Windows are all updated.
Repair gave same results.
Administrator gave same results.
I tried the steam launcher and got the same error.
I have tried uninstalling the game, but it did not completely remove all the files.

I apologize for pestering you guys. It is so frustrating trying to go through support as it takes them at least two weeks to get any answers back from them.
 

CBDunk

Well-known member
How do you know which file is getting stuck?

It should show the filename on the installer.

How do I change the install rate?

Similar to the repair option;
Click the 'down arrow' in the upper right corner
Select 'Options ...'
Go to the 'General' tab
Click 'Limit average patching download rate to:'

image.png


I apologize for pestering you guys. It is so frustrating trying to go through support as it takes them at least two weeks to get any answers back from them.

Support is unlikely to be able to tell you anything that isn't in this thread.

You didn't say whether you had tried the custom installer. Since that allows you to just download the files manually it is usually an option of last resort for people who can't get any of the automated processes to work.
 

Blaster

Active member
I would try using a VPN for the update. (I believe it was mentioned as a possible solution on the old forums.)

Someone I know was having a similar issue back when the first Archetype update happened, so they used a VPN to get it to work. They would launch their VPN program, connect it, then launch DDO and download the update, and after the update was done, disconnect the VPN and close that program.

Some people run VPNs all the time, but the person I know only uses it for DDO updates, and hasn't had the issue since.
 

bmhudson

Well-known member
So
It should show the filename on the installer.



Similar to the repair option;
Click the 'down arrow' in the upper right corner
Select 'Options ...'
Go to the 'General' tab
Click 'Limit average patching download rate to:'

image.png




Support is unlikely to be able to tell you anything that isn't in this thread.

You didn't say whether you had tried the custom installer. Since that allows you to just download the files manually it is usually an option of last resort for people who can't get any of the automated processes to work.
rry, yes I did the ddo wrapper and got stuck at the same error
 
Top