Voodu Warlock Enlightened Spirit Tank - Hardcore/New Players/Past Lives/Mid Reaper/Solo/Video Series

Vooduspyce

I am currently working on the Voodu Warlock 2023 video series for YouTube and I play this build regularly on my Twitch channel Vooduspyce, where I welcome you to stop by if you have questions about the build or anything DDO

This is post was originally the companion thread to my 2015 video series: Voodu Warlock: A Pure Warlock Enlightened Spirit Tank Project but I would refer you to the Voodu Warlock 2023 video series for a more up to date video series.

This build is good for new players, warlock past lives, Hard Core, mid skull reaper quest tanking and non-reaper raid tanking and for melee players who don't like casters but want to get warlock past lives. It's efficacy can be pushed with past lives and reaper points. With gobs of past lives and reaper points I enjoy playing Voodu in legendary R8-10 questing.

The high survivability will carry new players through moments where they might otherwise perish. It can serve as an introduction to defensive play as well as a confidence booster and bridge for those who are struggling to perform in higher difficulty play. It is not meant to solo but can do so up to about R3, past lives and reaper points will affect performance. The primary function is tank and this is not a high dps build, so soloing can sometimes be slow, especially during boss beat downs, with its biggest drawback being low single target dps. It is not as tanky as "true tanks" (fighter/paladin, etc.) but provides a fun alternative to traditional "no dps tanks" for those who are not looking for high difficulty play.

In each episode of both video series I discuss gear, enhancement, feats, etc. and I also offer tips and advice largely geared for newer players.

I do not recommend this build for high skull end game content unless it is backed with past lives and reaper points. Regarding tanking, this build is only good for low difficulty raid tanking like legendary hard. I have not tried to tank some raids beyond hard, including Skeletons, Hunt, MA, Dryad and THTH. Others like Strahd and Baba up to R1 and I have pushed older raids like Deathwyrm and Thunder Peak a bit further. With an abundance of past lives and max reaper points I am comfortable tanking most R10 legendary quests but often just do R8's.

I monitor and update this thread as I make changes. I also welcome you to ask questions in real time during my live streams M-F 9am-3pm ET at Twitch channel Vooduspyce.

CLASS: pure warlock (the capstone is very nice! see note on multiclassing below)
RACE: Shifter (Beasthide) is now my recommended race unless just doing 1-20. Most race choices are fine but I would not recommend half orc. More note about Shifter below.
PACT: Fey (most pacts will work with this build but I would not recommend Abyss, more notes below)
ALIGNMENT: Any for Fey or Carceri Storm, Fiend, Abyss and Acolyte of the Skin cannot be good, Great Old One cannot be lawful, Celestial cannot be chaotic

Multiclassing: The Enlightened Spirit capstone is very valuable, most significantly giving +20% competence bonus to hp, but also gives +2 con, +2 cha, +10 Universal Spell Power and +20 Light Spell Power, so consider carefully before choosing to multiclass.

ABILITY SCORES
Starting Shifter 32 point build: Str 8 ~ Dex 10 ~ Con 18 ~ Int 12 ~ Wis 8 ~ Cha 16. Increase constitution when leveling.

For other races or point builds just start with max con, high charisma and some points in intelligence for skill points.

As a tank, this is a constitution build, not a charisma build. As an Enlightened Spirit, constitution is extra valuable, not only because the added hit points increase survivability, which compliments the close-quarters playstyle of a bursting warlock, but because high constitution improves the effectiveness of Shining Through and Brilliance, both of which are highly prized Enlightened Spirit enhancements. It also benefits from Stanch in the Tainted Scholar tree, which this build also makes use of. Charisma shouldn't be forgotten, but is not as important on this tanky burster compared to other types of warlocks which are more DC and dps-based. This is not a DC or max spell power build, it's primary role is tank.

IMPORTANT: I do not recommend playing as an Enlightened Spirit prior to getting Eldritch Burst at level 3. Up to that point you can play as a blaster, getting chain shape from the Tainted Scholar tree as soon as possible. For reaper I prefer to wait until at least level 9 with 34 action points (rank 44) to respec to Enlightened Spirit, which is when I can spend 23 points in ES to get important tier 4 abilities medium armor proficiency and Brilliance and also have 11 points in Tainted Scholar to get Utterdark Blast and Stanch. Many prefer, as I often do, to wait until level 12 when you can get tier 5 Spirit Blast (the second burst) because ES is not very fun to play with just one burst. Up to this point you can play either as a Soul Eater cone shape blaster or Tainted Scholar chain shape blaster, whichever you prefer. While cone shape is more powerful, I prefer chain shape for low levels, which allows me to pick up some very useful Tainted Scholar enhancements like Stanch and Wand and Scroll Mastery. Alternatively, you can play as an Enlightened Spirit with support from the Feydark Illusionist tree for early levels.

SKILLS

Max Intimidate, Spellcraft, Balance, Concentration and enough points in Jump to have a standing 40 by end game, at which point I swap the Jump spell for Nightshield (notes on this below). 1 rank in Tumble and UMD. Remaining points in Perform (if Fey Pact) or Heal. For reaper heroic leveling: Put enough points in UMD in order to use healing wands and scrolls as soon and as effective as possible, which are very important in reaper questing. UMD will be plenty high enough once you reach epic levels, so when epic reincarnating you can change out the UMD skill points to Perform or Heal or other more relevant skills for epic levels. You can also max Jump if you are going to take You've Got My Back from Feydark Illusionist, because using the Shield and Nightshield spells will give you an additional +10 PRR and MRR.

FEATS

Level 1: Quicken Spell
Level 3: Force of Personality
Level 6: Maximize Spell
Level 9: Empower Spell
Level 12: Shield proficiency (general)
Level 15: Shield Mastery
Level 18: Improved Shield Mastery
Level 21: Epic Eldritch Blast
Level 22: (Epic Destiny Feat): Epic Pact Dice
Level 24: Greater Shield Mastery
Level 25: (Epic Destiny Feat): Elusive Target
Level 27: Epic Damage Reduction
Level 28: (Epic Destiny Feat): Perfect Shield Mastery
Level 30: Epic Reflexes
Level 30: Scion of Celestia
Level 31: (Epic Destiny Feat): Legendary Toughness

Numbers below are self buffed with Shield and Nightshield, Tensers, raged, Elite Spider Cult Mask, no metas, boosts, pots, etc. at level 32 outside of reaper but includes innate tier 2-6 Grim Barricade and Dire Thaumaturge, which are always on. Reaper numbers are with all reaper trees maxed. Gearset below. Numbers are with Shifter race (Beasthide).

Stats are from U61

HP: 4910 (Reaper 6376)
Max Temp HP: 9632 (Reaper 11807) (fully buffed with Shining Through, Stanch, Yugoloth and remnant con potions)
SP: 2704
AC: 303
PRR: 375 (Reaper 400)
MRR: 270 (Reaper 290)
Dodge: 17% (Reaper 18%)
Saves: 105/86/94 (Reaper 107/100/96)
Heal amp: 267
Fortification: 330%
Intimidate: 143 (Reaper 145)
Light spell power: 474

ENHANCEMENTS

I have played this build with all races and find that Beasthide Shifter is a great choice for the added tanky stats that come with Beasthide Shifter, which include standing +3 constitution, 30 healing amplification, +3 intimidate, +6 natural armor and while raging (100% uptime) you have an additional +7 constitution, +22 PRR, +5% quality hit points, +4 AC and +20% threat generation.

Note that Beasthide Shifter cannot cast while raging within the enhancement tree, so raging isn't used until epics when Draconic Incarnation tier 2 Draconic Rage is taken, so if you are just doing a heroic 1-20 life then I do not recommend Beasthide Shifter.

If you do not have the extra racial action points to spend, you can omit the points spent in Feydark Illusionist, provided that you get magic missile immunity either from tier 2 Enlightened Spirit or cast the Shield or Nightshield spell. When not playing shifter, I would spend 12 points in Falconry for tier 3 Conditioned which gives +5% quality hit points, however this is redundant with Beasthide Shifter giving +5% quality hit points in tier 4 Threatening Shift. Alternatively, you can also get +5% quality hit points from Unyielding Sentinel tier 5 Deific Resilience if you take the Deific Warding feat.

For Reaper heroic leveling I highly recommend Wand and Scroll Mastery enhancement in Tainted Scholar, which is very nice to boost healing from wands and scrolls on self and others, which helps to mitigate some of the self-healing penalties in reaper mode. See next post for more information on reaper play.

EPIC DESTINY

I am primarily focused in Unyielding Sentinel for tankyness. My support destinies are Exalted Angel for Leap of Faith, Healing Pillar and Mass Cure Moderate Wounds SLA for support healing and Draconic Incarnation for the ability to cast while raging as a Beasthide Shifter.

PACT
This build is workable with any pact. I Chose Fey pact originally because I really like abundant step-like abilities, so Misty Escape was perfect for me. I regularly use wings from Exalted Angel however with my tanky playstyle, Misty Escape allows me to move through and directly into the middle of a group of mobs and start bursting from within. Misty Escape is also a nice way to escape when you're trapped, as it allows you to move through mobs. I also really like that Fey pact has Otto's Irresistible Dance, which is great to use on champions and reapers. Fey pact also includes Dark Delirium, which is a nice no-save stun to use on a mob that you don't want to deal with for a bit.

I played through the 3 newer pacts: Carceri Storm, Celestial and Abyss. See this post in the old DDO forums for a summary of my thoughts about these pacts. I have not played Voodu as an Acolyte of the Skin.

GEAR (end game)

For suggestions on non-raid endgame gear see next post.

Goggles: Legendary Lenses of the Orator Augment: Charisma +14
Head: Legendary Crown of Snow (mythic +3, Reaper +2 to ability scores) Augment: Crystallized Unicorn Tear
Neck: Cannith crafted Sheltering +36, Spell Saves +11, Insightful Spell Saves +5, Augment: Legendary Sapphire of Riposte, Sapphire of Armored Agility +2
Trinket: Icon of the Bitterwind Augment: Sapphire of Stunning +16 and Topaz of Greater Conjuration
Cloak: Legendary Cloak of Winter (mythic +3) Augment: Sapphire of Dodge +12%
Belt: Legendary Direbear Belt Augment: Diamond of Festive Constitution +2
Ring1: Legendary Nocturne Ring Augment: Sapphire of Spell Agility 15%
Ring2: Legendary Ring of Summer's Heat (mythic +3, reaper +3 PRR) Augment: Sapphire of Crushing Wave Guard
Hands: The Prince's Gauntlet Augments: Essence of the Masque, Legendary Demonheart Emerald and Essence of the Epic Litany of the Dead
Bracers: Legendary Cold Iron Bracers (reaper +3 PRR) Augment: Globe of True Imperial Blood
Boots: Legendary Deepsnow Boots (mythic +3, reaper +3 MRR) Augment: Diamond of Dexterity +12
Armor: Legendary Hardened Hide Armor (mythic +4, reaper +5% AC and + 3 PRR) Augment: Good Luck +3
Shield: Legendary Alchemical Large Shield (T1: Devotion+Healing Lore, T2: Alchemical Con +2, T3: Resistance +11) Augments: Legendary Coalescent Ruby and Legendary Undying Sapphire
Weapon: The Bitter Edge Augment: Meridian Fragment and Diamond of Balance +19
Quiver: Quiver of Alacrity

This gearset uses 7-piece Eminence of Winter and 2-piece Eminence of Summer set bonuses.

Minor artifact filigrees:
  • Nystul's/Electrocution +10 MRR
  • Blood Feast/Frozen Wanderer +10 PRR
  • Blood Feast +10 heal amp rare +2 MRR (2-piece Blood Feast +1 constitution set bonus)
Sentient Weapon Filigrees:
  • Blood Feast +10 heal amp rare +2 MRR (3-piece Blood Feast +5 PRR)
  • Blood Feast +1 Constitution rare +2 PRR (4-piece Blood Feast +5 melee power)
  • Blood Feast/Frozen Wanderer +10 PRR (5-piece Blood Feast +100 temp hp per epic/legendary level when raging)
  • Snake Bite/Grandfather's Shield: +2 Constitution rare +4 PRR
  • Grandfather's Shield: +10 Healing Amplification rare +2 MRR (2-piece Grandfather's +5 PRR)
  • Grandfather's Shield: +1 Constitution rare +2 PRR (3-piece Grandfather's +5% AC)
  • Soulweaver/Splendid Cacophony: +2 Constitution rare +4 PRR
  • Nystul's Mystical Defense: Constitution rare +2 PRR (2-piece Nystul's +5 MRR)
  • Nystul's Mystical Defense: +3 MMR rare +2 PRR (3-piece Nystul's +1 to saves)
  • Nystul's/Electrocution +10 MRR (4-piece Nystul's +100 hp)
Dual filigrees are purchasable with Threads of Fate

The gearset below is what I used as I worked through my racial lives. I post it here for reference and to give others ideas on how to gear up, it is not intended to indicate gear you must use. It was last updated on 7/11/21 to include heroic Feywild leveling gear.

SELF HEALING

This build has many self healing abilities. During heroic questing, the high UMD skill allows you to use healing wands and scrolls very effectively to heal self and others.

Brilliance (tier 4 Enlightened Spirit enhancement) an always on buffer of temporary hp that ticks for about 180-200 temp hp every 2 seconds at level cap. Functions as a great source of preventative maintenance healing. Affects everyone in the aura so is very friendly to melees in your group!

Renewal (from Unyielding Sentinel) a very nice little heal over time SLA that I am constantly casting this on myself and others.

Healing Pillar (SLA from Exalted Angel) Nice for support healing. I use this constantly on myself and others.

Mass Cure Moderate Wounds (SLA from Exalted Angel) Nice for support healing. I use this constantly on myself and others.

Shining Through (tier 5 Enlightened Spirit enhancement) a burst of temporary hp. Temp hp is not affected by reaper healing debuffs, so just as effective in high skull play.

Stanch (tier 3 innate Tainted Scholar enhancement) gives a huge boost of temporary hp. Awesome but easy to overlook because it gives a stacking -3% penalty to max hp every time it is used so new players will often shy away from. But this is an outstanding emergency heal and better to use than dying! I use it without hesitation, often getting 3-5 stacks between rests, which is not a big deal. Stacks are removed after shrining. Temp hp is not affected by reaper healing debuffs, so just as effective in high skull play.

Undying Vanguard (tier 5 Unyielding Sentinel enhancement) full heals you and gives a massive boost of 10,000 temporary hp to use as a last line of defense for emergencies. 5 minute cooldown.

SPELLS

At endgame I swap Jump for Nightshield because casting Nightshield gives +10 MRR with You've Got My Back from Feydark Illusionist.

See next post for additional build support information.

Last edited:

Vooduspyce

HEROIC PAST LIVES

Sorc past lives are nice for bonuses to evocation DC for pact damage and Arcane Tempest. Cleric Past lives are nice for bonuses to conjuration DC (Evard's Black Tentacles and Web are Conjuration). Wizard and Favored Soul past lives are nice for up to a +9 bonus to spell penetration (Evard's and Otto's Irresistible Dance have a spell pen. check). Fighter past lives are good for up to +3 bonus to stun DC's, which benefits Throw the Boom from Unyielding Sentinel. My current heroic past lives are 3 sorc, 3 wiz, 3 fvs, 3 wlk, 3 pal, 3 cleric, 3 barbarian, 3 bard, 3 Alchemist and 1 each of the remaining classes for heroic completionist. For past life prioritization tips, see my video How to Prioritize Past Lives.

EPIC PAST LIVES

4 stances: At end game I use Fast Healing, Ancient Knowledge, Brace and Skill Mastery. While leveling, where higher defense isn't as important, I use Colors of the Queen and Energy Criticals instead of Fast Healing and Ancient Knowledge. Focus on getting 3 each of these EPL's first. After you get these, focus on additional Divine, Primal and Martial EPL's for bonuses to PRR, HPs and AC. Voodu has all 55 epic past lives.

ICONIC PAST LIVES

Stance: Shadar-Kai for the auto incorporeality, which is another layer of defense. If you don't have then use Morninglord for +10 light and alignment spell power per stack up to +30. PDK past lives give PRR, so great for adding to defensiveness for any toon. Shardar-Kai past lives give dodge. My current iconic past lives are 3 Deep Gnome, 3 Morninglord, 3 PDK, 3 Shadar-kai, 3 Bladeforged and 3 Tiefling Scoundrel.

RACIAL PAST LIVES

As a constitution build I prioritized 3 each of Warforged and Dwarf, followed by charisma races Tiefling, Half-elf and Dragonborn. Voodu has all racial past lives for Racial Completionist.

GEAR (end game non-raid suggestions for those who don't raid)

Goggles: Legendary Lenses of the Orator, Legendary Collective Sight, Legendary Symphonic Lenses, Legendary Summoner's Spectacles
Head: Legendary Crown of Snow, Legendary Arcsteel Brim, Legendary Compliance, Legendary Pansophic Circlet, Legendary Boundless, Legendary Hardened Hide, Legendary Standard Issue Faceplate
Neck: Legendary Standard Issue Sigil, Sigil of Regalport, Legendary Chains, Legendary Rose Quartz Sigil Stone, Legendary Ward-Inscribed Pendant
Trinket: Legendary Planar Compass, Legendary Five Rings, Legendary Empowered Dragonscale, Legendary Symbol of the Slave Lords, Broken Music Box, Magestar
Cloak: Legendary Cloak of Winter, Legendary Hallowed Trail, Legendary Cloak of Balance, Legendary Cloak of the City's Champion, Legendary Mantle of Fury, Legendary Scarlet Scale Cloak, Mysterious Cloak, EE Ghost-Waking Cloak, Legendary Slave Master's Cloak
Belt: Legendary Direbear Belt, Legendary Bronze Dragonscale Belt, Legendary Chains, Epic Belt of Thoughtful Remembrance, Epic Chord of Reprisals
Rings: Legendary Ring of Summer's Heat, Legendary Nocturne Ring, Stolen Signet of ir'Wynarn, Legendary Band of Insightful Commands, Legendary Five Rings, Legendary Shattered Onyx, Legendary Spinneret, Lantern Ring, Legendary Brazenband
Hands: The Prince's Gauntlet, Gauntlet of the Iron Council, Legendary Dashing Gloves, Legendary Gauntlets of Innate Arcanum, Legendary Skin-tight Gloves, Iron Mitts
Bracers: Legendary Cold Iron Bracers, Legendary Hallowed Castigators, Legendary Bracers of Order and Chaos, Legendary Lore-Fueled Packbanner, Legendary Mystic Wrappings, Legendary Shackles, Epic Ethereal Bracers, Mysterious Bracers, Legendary Bracers of the Fallen Hero, Indomitable Wrappings (level 28)
Boots: Legendary Deepsnow Boots, Legendary Boots of the Devil Commander, Orcish Privateer's Boots, Legendary Flightfoot Greaves, Legendary Softsole Slippers
Armor: Legendary Hardened Hide Armor, Cladding of Dead Leaves, Legendary Snowscale, Legendary Blessed Vestments, Legendary Scales of Malice, Legendary Coat of the Traveler, Epic Scales of Surety
Shield: Legendary Shield of Reflecting, Legendary Crystalline Ward, Epic Shield of Tireless Aid, Legendary Giant's Platter, EE Skyvault Shield, Legendary Breaker of Bodies
Weapon: The Legendary Prince's Sceptre, The Legendary Queen's Sceptre, Morninglord's Sceptre, Nightmother's Sceptre, Legendary Lilting Song or Dinosaur Bone Crafting weapons have some good options.

Cannith crafted items also provide a lot of great gearing options.

SHIELDS AND ARCANE SPELL FAILURE

I'm adding a special section for shields because one of the most frequent questions I get is about which shields to use and how to overcome arcane spell failure while using a shield on a warlock. At low levels, I use Ferrocrystal Shield along with Cannith crafted armor or other item with Lesser Arcane Spell Dexterity that gives -5% ASF. Similarly, you can use a large mithral shield, which will has 5% ASF that can also be overcome with Cannith Crafted Lesser Arcane Spell Dexterity. Lesser Arcane Spell Dexterity affects ASF from any source, regardless of the item that its crafted onto. You can also use a small mithral shield blank to craft on. A small mithral shield will have no ASF.

By the time you reach mid to upper heroic levels, you can use shields like Fanion and Skyvault Shield, which have zero ASF. You can also use a Sapphire of Spell Agility augment at levels 12/16/20 to overcome 5%/10%/15% ASF. A typical large shield has 15% ASF so by the time you reach level 20 you can use a Sapphire of Spell Agility 15% to overcome the ASF of any large shield, which is what I do. You can purchase a Sapphire of Spell Agility +15 from Lahar, the epic vendor in The Twelve for 20 Tokens of the Twelve. You can also use an Otto's Irrevocable Power: spell failure reduction or other sentient weapon filigrees for -10% ASF. Epic Skyvault Shield is also a nice choice for mid epic levels. Some people like to use Skyvault at endgame, however be aware that it has a max dex/dodge bonus of 4. For more about arcane spell failure, see the DDO wiki article here.

WHAT TO DO BETWEEN BURSTS

People who are newer to warlock often ask what to do between bursts while they are on cooldown. Here's what I am typically doing on Voodu between bursts...
  1. Heal myself and others with Renewal, Healing Pillar, Mass Cure Moderate Wounds
  2. Evard's Black Tentacles
  3. Otto's Irresistible Dance a reaper, champion, caster or orange named
  4. Reaper's Resistance for +30 PRR
  5. Knights Challenge (Throw the Boom) to stun and grab aggro of mobs from a distance
  6. Swing my weapon
  7. Intimidate
  8. Arcane Tempest
  9. Refresh Displacement and Tensor's Transformation
  10. Sleet Storm
  11. Shining Through
  12. Tainted Spellcasting
  13. Dark Delirium
  14. Wail of the Banshee
  15. Drink a Potion of Greater Brilliance
  16. Stanch as an emergency heal
  17. Cast Sigil of Warding from Legendary Green Steel augment
  18. Use Hood of Unrest clickie for stacking +50% dodge if walking into a big fight; bosses, doom reapers, etc.
  19. Use Undying Vanguard from Sentinel enhancements in critical situations
  20. Sip my coffee

REAPER

Can solo R1's comfortably. Soloing up to 3-4 skulls is doable but slow especially because of slow boss beatdowns due to lack of single target dps. I enjoy group play at endgame, typically doing R6-10 depending on the group. I do not recommend this build for high skull reaper without the backing of past lives and reaper points and I do not recommend reaper play for a new player/first lifer. Wand and Scroll Mastery from Tainted Scholar is nice to boost healing from wands and scrolls for self and others during heroic reaper questing and can swap out in epics.

Temporary hit points from effects like Shining Through, Brilliance and Stanch are very effective in reaper play because they are not affected by the self healing debuff. Things turn a corner once you get Brilliance, which should be top priority once you get to level 6. Things turn another major corner again at level 12 once you get Spirit Blast and Shining Through.

I invested my early reaper points in Grim Barricade for added survivability, with emphasis on PRR and con, with a couple points in dodge to max out my cap. I also spent points in UMD for heroics in order to use healing wands and scrolls, which are very important in reaper questing. UMD will be plenty high enough once you reach epic levels, so when epic reincarnating you can change out the UMD skill points to perform or other more relevant skills for epic levels.

At level cap, with maxed reaper trees (156 points) my self-sufficient tanking ability holds up well up to about 6-8 skulls, depending on the content. Beyond that I need healing support for sustained tanking. This is with a wealth of past lives and so without the past lives, tanking ability would be reduced. Here is a heroic R10 Crucible video from 2018 that I did with 49 reaper points in a full group.

While working through my racial lives, just going to 20, I found that after building up about 40-50 reaper points, I had enough added survivability from reaper trees that I didn't need all the extra constitution if I was just going to level 20. So I switched to doing a charisma based build for the lives where I was just going to level 20, which was fun and more powerful to be able to focus more on some of the DC based spells like charms and instakills. My heroic reaper leveling routine favors speed these days so I just zerg R1's until level 12 then zerg R4's until 20.

HARDCORE

Hardcore season 5 was the first time I played the build on Hardcore and the first time I played it as a first lifer. I did the 5k run but did not do any reaper goals. I was very pleased with the performance. I played it as a human for the extra feat and skills, used Don't Count Me Out for extra unconscious range but nothing else from human except core stats if needed to keep stats even. I played as a chain shape blaster until level 12 then I respec'd to my Enlightened Spirit bursting build. I prioritized the Shield Proficiency and Mastery feats for survivability and postponed Maximize and Empower until level 12 and 15. After HC5 I streamed a retrospective of my experience with the build on Hardcore, show stats and minor adjustments I made to the build for Hardcore and discussed quests I did and quests I skipped during my heroic 5k run. You can watch the video on my YouTube channel at HC5 Voodu Warlock 5k Retrospective.

I placed 16th in the Hardcore season 6 favor leaderboard. For Hardcore season 6 I chose the Celestial pact for buffs. It was the first time I went past level 20 on Hardcore and I was very pleased with performance, though I stopped at level 27. The entire life was livestreamed but unfortunately about half of the VOD's were lost. My Hardcore 6 and 8 livestream collections can be found on my Twitch channel here and some HC6 raid tanking is featured in my Voodu Warlock 2023 YouTube series and you can find other Hardcore videos in my Hardcore Playlist.

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Hey big guy... just my 3 & a 1/2 cents input.. but I think you're better off losing the Legendary Toughness feat @ 30 and finding a way to fit in Deific Warding... coupled withT5 Unyielding Sentinel's 'Deific Resilience', you're looking at more HP gain in the end

The biggest pain in the hinder is SO many of these feats can ONLY be taken @ a specific level... not before, and not after.....that is SO stupid

Vooduspyce

Hey big guy... just my 3 & a 1/2 cents input.. but I think you're better off losing the Legendary Toughness feat @ 30 and finding a way to fit in Deific Warding... coupled withT5 Unyielding Sentinel's 'Deific Resilience', you're looking at more HP gain in the end

The biggest pain in the hinder is SO many of these feats can ONLY be taken @ a specific level... not before, and not after.....that is SO stupid
Sorry for the late response. I would go that option for a non-shifter. I am currently playing Voodu as a shifter so I get +5% quality hp from the racial tree tier 4 Threatening Shift, so +5% quality hp from Deific Resilience would be redundant in this case.

Col Kurtz

started trippin around b4 work this morning after an epic tr with this type of build.

Not near as fun as my cone blasting and circle of death around the room...but WAY more tanky, of course. Tried a quick r1 and barely had to touch my healing stuff, and I dont even have a shield going yet:) +( i only have 13 reaper points) I do have around 15 epic pl's and 5-6 heroic. Thinkin' it would be more fun to run this build in a group than solo.

There's prob some middle ground to rock a little more dps with diff epic feat choices, and still push some mid skull difficulty.

We'll see how it goes...im lvl21 today, and my character seems to start to shine much better around lvl24-26.

Jander

Hi, like the build a lot. was hoping you could answer a technical question for me. Spiritual retribution scales with spell power, but is it affected by crit chance at all. I know imbues work with double strike, but can they crit?

Vooduspyce

Hi, like the build a lot. was hoping you could answer a technical question for me. Spiritual retribution scales with spell power, but is it affected by crit chance at all. I know imbues work with double strike, but can they crit?
I'm sorry I have no idea. Since this is a tank build and not at all dps-focused build, I don't really even pay attention to the imbue dice. That said, I believe your question, if I understand it correctly, could more generally be asked: when applied to spells, do imbue dice benefit from spell crits? Hopefully someone else here can answer that for us :)

Marshal_Lannes

What are your thoughts on a crafted Dino weapon? There seem to be some intriguing options:

Scale: Brightscale probably if no other spell penetration is slotted. Spell points are rarely ever a problem so Shadowscale seems unnecessary. No use for Iridiscent. No great options here.

Fang: Any of these look good since they apply per offensive spell cast and since you're blast, blast, and say Evards that's a lot of chances in a group of mobs. Brightfang and Shadowfang may have preferences since the untyped would already by modified by spell power/crit that is blast slotted.

Claw: Meltclaw +2 Constitution

Horn: Shadowhorn is the likely choice but Icehorn is intriguing for the same reason of Fang - lots of proc chances.

Vooduspyce

What are your thoughts on a crafted Dino weapon? There seem to be some intriguing options:

Scale: Brightscale probably if no other spell penetration is slotted. Spell points are rarely ever a problem so Shadowscale seems unnecessary. No use for Iridiscent. No great options here.

Fang: Any of these look good since they apply per offensive spell cast and since you're blast, blast, and say Evards that's a lot of chances in a group of mobs. Brightfang and Shadowfang may have preferences since the untyped would already by modified by spell power/crit that is blast slotted.

Horn: Shadowhorn is the likely choice but Icehorn is intriguing for the same reason of Fang - lots of proc chances.
It's certainly a solid option. Right now I'm using Bitter Edge which has both a freezing effect and vulnerability effect so I'm not convinced that a dino weapon is a clear superior choice for what I'm doing with Voodu. I probably won't make any changes to my gear until Myth Drannor is released later this year.

I was originally interested in the Black Sands Desires horn option but it's far inferior to Legendary Salt, adding only 1 stack per hit vs. Legendary Salt that adds 8 stacks. I think I would go with Aspect of Tar because the oozes are nice crowd control with their excellent aggro grabbing and the PPR/MRR reduction. Meltclaw only adds 1 more con compared to using Globe of True Imperial Blood and that would currently put me at an odd number of con anyway. I am curious to know how often the Icehorn procs but even if it were as good as Bitter Edge, the overall dino weapon option doesn't motivate me to switch. I wish I could just add 4 of the horn augments to a dino weapon!

Sorry for the late response. I invite you to stop by my Twitch livestream any time M-F 9am-3pm ET if you have any questions :)

Vooduspyce

Do you have an updated gear list for playing this character from 1-30 by any chance?
I don't but I personally wouldn't change much from the last time I leveled. A 7 piece heroic Feywild set at level 5 is good enough to carry you through heroics. You can sprinkle in higher level gear as desired. I race through easy and fast epic xp content doing slayers and R1 big xp quests using Nimvind's 20-30 Speed Leveling Guide and I don't worry about being optimally geared since it's easy and I'm only in epics for a matter of hours with the goal of getting to 29+ asap so I can start doing legendary reaper quests for big Rxp. Stop by the livestream M-F 9am-3pm ET if you have any questions :)

DeathTitan

Nice tanking the dragon boss in Temple of Elemental Evil Pt. 1-2 and Water Node video.
I saw him missing a lot, then damaging you for 1200 damage and probably restoring immediately temp hit points if I'm not wrong.
Well done!

Vooduspyce

I decided to try a dino bone crafted weapon. Been using it for a few weeks.

Scale: Iridescent (102 potency)
Fang: Shadowfang (curse dot)
Claw: Meltclaw (+2 con)
Horn: Aspect of Tar (oozes and PRR/MRR debuff)

Not super excited about it but it did let me rearrange some augments and get a couple more slotted and added Essence of Nullscale Armor and Essence of Ultimatum. I'm just going to leave things like this until Myth Drannor is released.