Why Restless Isles Should be Made Epic/Legendary

Mornyngstar

What is Currently in the Game?
Restless Isles consists of Hiding in Plain Sight (pre-quest) (Mystical Vessel drops in End Reward). Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan (4 items BTCoE, 1 item unbound). Slaver’s of the Shrieking Mines (3 items BTCoE, 1 item unbound). The pre-raid Twilight Forge (5 items BTCoE). The raid The Titan Awakes (17 items BTCoA). Also, the wilderness area of the Restless Isles, the wilderness is currently medium in size.

What Should be Kept for the Flavor of the Quests/Area?
The quest pack has some interesting mechanics different from normal packs as they stand now. All named items drop from specific chests and not necessarily the end chests. The map system with tunnels and islands along with keyed “check points” make getting around interesting. (A lot of people complain about this but being able to unlock the gates with Pick Lock or Bell of Opening makes it easier). Having the items Ogre Khan Skull and Horrid Golden Figurine to be able to use the guides is novel. The quest structure is different enough from others to have their own style.

What Should be Added/Changed?
For items I would like to see the BTCoE be changed to BTA on equip/acquire (Whichever is easiest to implement). New items should be added to Hiding in Plain Sight and keeping with the flavor of the pack they should drop in specific chests. There should be added items to the rare chests in the wilderness also. Not a guaranteed drop but a chance of dropping. The Quests should be upgraded to Epic in the level range of 25 for the quests, 26 for the pre-raid and 27 for the raid. (This was chosen because the 20-22 range has lots of items already along with quests and raids, the 25-27 range is very light currently). The raid (both heroic and epic) should have their own raid runes for dropping (Titan Runes). As a note, new items added to the quest pack need not be “perfect” in style. This location was an armory/vault of older items so keeping with that having off brand items would fit right in.

What could be added to enhance the Pack?
Currently the pack is quite light in content. I would like to see 6-10 additional quests added within the existing wilderness area or expanding it to accommodate the added quest load (I would not make the wilderness area epic, just keep it heroic). If the wilderness area was expanded adding in quest items to unlock specific areas of the map would be in line for the flavor of the pack (i.e. the Horrid Golden Figurine to unlock an area for the chance at a rare). This mechanic could be used for quest access where you run quest #1 to get item to allow access to quest #2 or section of wilderness where rare X spawns. Not all of them having quest givers but more akin to what is in Threnal and Cogs for walk up quests. There would also need to be items added for specific chests in those quests, to keep in line with the base quests. If it could also be changed to use pack ingredients for upgrading base items to epic/legendary versions that would entice more playability to the pack. If Tokens of the twelve were added to the epic quests along with Greater Token of the Twelve added to the raid this would give more reason for people to go through the quests (downside is the level is above level 20).
An idea for the added quests could be having 2 sets of 5 quests each. Each set would consist of 4 walkup quests that would unlock the 5th which would be a standard quest with quests giver and reward. After the first set is done it unlocks the 2nd set of walkups and finale quest for flagging for the new Legendary Titan Raid.

Added Suggestions and Ideas?
Lastly having a complete change to both pre-raid and raid for Legendary upgrade and setting the level at 36-38 with the anticipation of the upcoming base level increase to level 34. Having separate Legendary Runes for direct Legendary items would be good also, but still being able to upgrade epic to legendary with the 100 pack ingredients and 5 Star Fragments with (1-5) Greater Token(s) of the Twelve. I would also make the Raid itself more Dynamic (currently ideal run on the raid uses 3 people only, other than 1 shotting the Titan.)

The location is an armory of sorts so what about other named bosses that must be managed in their areas.

Upvote 3

l_remmie

Updating the entire pack seems to have a really low R.o.I. the quests arent popular and the area is hated.

Just updating the raid and making it quick and easy to fast travel to there might be worth doing.

The preraid is a proper puzzly teamplay experience and the raid itself is short and fun.

Mornyngstar

Update the underwater part with magma!
So, a part of the Legendary raid involves someone(s) swimming a medium to long distance thru lava? That would require someone being very prepped for it especially if they are running it on reaper and more so on high reaper. I like it. (Possibly needing to stand on a switch to open a section for another person within the raid?)

Mornyngstar

Updating the entire pack seems to have a really low R.o.I. the quests arent popular and the area is hated.

Just updating the raid and making it quick and easy to fast travel to there might be worth doing.

The preraid is a proper puzzly teamplay experience and the raid itself is short and fun.
With ROI that is why I suggested having it as a separate pack/Mini Expansion.

The beauty of the entire pack is the length of the quests (which can be bypassed already with the Sigil of Dal-Quor), the raid can currently be done in less than a minute so a way to skip the pre-raid means with raid bypass timers you can farm it 40 times an hour (way too easy).

Getting there thru the wilderness at level takes less than 5 minutes (shorter than Chains of Flames) and if you use Greater Teleport about 2-5 seconds (lag depending).

SlicedHam

I really love Restless Isles because; I don't always want my hand to be held, sometimes I like to be challenged, sometimes I want to have to turn by brain on for a bit, even in my game time. Every time I replay Restless Isles I learn something new. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but there has always been a place in DDO for content that is unique.

I would really appreciate if they decided to spruce this older content up. Even if some/or a lot of it is behind a paywall:

-I would really like an update to the loot, to entice people to play the original pack.
-A mini expansion that adds some value to the Restless Isles as a standalone zone would be awesome. The "shove everything it gatekeepers grove" approach to a large number of quests detracts from the immersion for me.
-The pre-raid is one of the most fun/interesting quests in the game to me, because it requires planning, communication, careful thought/action, and party members with diverse skills/abilities. I think it is integral as a barrier to the raid itself; it rewards players for learning and understanding it.

Mornyngstar

Came across a thread with some good ideas:
So I ran these again, like people who hate their life do. I appreciate the exploration aspect of these. They are not quests meant to be farmed. They are literally quests meant to be led by the collar. For some reason, I really like them even though I have no idea how to do the titan pre quest other than the good chest bit.

The loot with the exception of 2 (3?) items is severely outdated. But worse of all, the experience is atrocious!

My initial suggestion would be since obviously nobody cares much about this pack, just literally double the base xp of the quest, the raid and the wilderness. Yes, the wilderness. It's terrible enough to go around even if you know exactly what and how you are doing it.

You don't want to fix the 'idea' of this chain. It's whole point is to be a pain. Play on it. If you ever want to add anything to this, make an underwater exploration area in the wilderness instead of instant-death. Make it a no combat swim exploration wilderness with currents that make it hard to swim and sharks and blade traps and whirlpools and chtulu-esque. Alright maybe not, but seriously rework both the experience and the rest of the loot.

Edit: if there was ever a place where the fly spell would be awesome, THIS is it.

Mornyngstar

Also might be heresy, but maybe scrap the prequest
I was just thinking about this when I was running VoN 5, yesterday, which is exactly like the Twilight Forge. You have different directions to go to achieve getting thru the pre-raids. The party must split to accomplish it. It has to be run each time to get to the raid itself. It requires co-operation to get through it. It can't be done in 5 minutes. There are noob friendly paths. (Twilight Forge: Green then Blue Path).
If they made Twilight Forge Epic and had it similar to the same xp as VoN 5, would that make it more worthy of running it?

Edit: if there was ever a place where the fly spell would be awesome, THIS is it.
Side Note: If they made the wilderness bigger (adding a deeper layer and/or adding a flying component, thank you Kmoustakas), Then that would be awesome.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
I was just thinking about this when I was running VoN 5, yesterday, which is exactly like the Twilight Forge. You have different directions to go to achieve getting thru the pre-raids. The party must split to accomplish it. It has to be run each time to get to the raid itself. It requires co-operation to get through it. It can't be done in 5 minutes. There are noob friendly paths. (Twilight Forge: Green then Blue Path).
If they made Twilight Forge Epic and had it similar to the same xp as VoN 5, would that make it more worthy of running it?

Side Note: If they made the wilderness bigger (adding a deeper layer and/or adding a flying component, thank you Kmoustakas), Then that would be awesome.
Titan does give a ton of xp actually but it's a terrible PITA to run on heroic. And getting to unless someone greater teleports you. I do think that if it had a lot of xp and it was level 20 it would be learned and ran a lot for sure. There's many other examples for this, not just von5. Spies is actually terrible but eventually people got to grips with the fast/smooth way to get it done and now people run it every day. Wiz king was bad but is now a daily if you split.

I'm just very anxious because so far epic tempest spine and legendary chronoscope were really really bad. If they made epic titan they would probably add more terrible mobile game like mechanics to make it an even worse experience. They would also make it level 36 to pretend they have 'legendary content'. I mean, legendary chronoscope is so bad it's not even funny. Epic tempest spine was a bigger corrupt a wish than dragonkeeper.

Also, the instant purple alert in the force wall area would need looking into.

The Narc

Titan does give a ton of xp actually but it's a terrible PITA to run on heroic. And getting to unless someone greater teleports you. I do think that if it had a lot of xp and it was level 20 it would be learned and ran a lot for sure. There's many other examples for this, not just von5. Spies is actually terrible but eventually people got to grips with the fast/smooth way to get it done and now people run it every day. Wiz king was bad but is now a daily if you split.

I'm just very anxious because so far epic tempest spine and legendary chronoscope were really really bad. If they made epic titan they would probably add more terrible mobile game like mechanics to make it an even worse experience. They would also make it level 36 to pretend they have 'legendary content'. I mean, legendary chronoscope is so bad it's not even funny. Epic tempest spine was a bigger corrupt a wish than dragonkeeper.

Also, the instant purple alert in the force wall area would need looking into.
Yeah the purple alert is one if the few semi annoying things in the first part, that and possibly wronging one of the puzzles as you try to speed thru, and of course the jumping on the paths at the end.

As for the last part there is nothing more annoying than being one of the people watching while sitting on a ladder whilst the two people that are needed to complete the raid. That and or failing the raid because you get knocked down from the titan just as you need to activate the laser on one too many pillars. Of course this is assuming that you are actually running the raid legitimately with characters in the level range that would be accepted for hardcore and not cheesing out the raid with an epic character one shotting the titan.

Last edited:

Mornyngstar

Yeah the purple alert is one if the few semi annoying things in the first part, that and possibly wronging one of the puzzles as you try to speed thru, and of course the jumping on the paths at the end.

As for the last part there is nothing more annoying than being one of the people watching while sitting on a ladder whilst the two people that are needed to complete the raid. That and or failing the raid because you get knocked down from the titan just as you need to activate the laser on one too many pillars. Of course this is assuming that you are actually running the raid legitimately with characters in the level range that would be accepted for hardcore and not cheesing out the raid with an epic character one shotting the titan.
On Saturday June 8th while helping run Twilight Forge on Sarlona we had people that could have winded across to get the levers but since we were teaching the mechanics we didn't use that. We instead did it old school with the levers and after some timing issues with a touch of lag, we managed to get all the levers done. When 1 of the people finally made their first trip across successfully, he was very happy (took 15-20 tries).

I was also able to teach someone how to solo the green puzzle room. Since my toon didn't have the jump needed to cross the bridges and with voice chat down, I had to type all the instructions for him, and he managed to complete it in a reasonable time. Like with most things: If you rush it, you can mess it up.

As to the boring bit for the Raid itself I made the comment during that run "What if there was a split on the Epic/Legendary where you had 4 Titan Chambers and they all locked. So, you would need to split the party and defeat all four Titans then." (Some people were not happy with this suggestion.)

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
As to the boring bit for the Raid itself I made the comment during that run "What if there was a split on the Epic/Legendary where you had 4 Titan Chambers and they all locked. So, you would need to split the party and defeat all four Titans then." (Some people were not happy with this suggestion.)
That... seems like a good way to ensure the raid is never run at all. Only one of those four groups needs to wipe (or mess up the laser targeting) and then everyone's run is over.

The Narc

On Saturday June 8th while helping run Twilight Forge on Sarlona we had people that could have winded across to get the levers but since we were teaching the mechanics we didn't use that. We instead did it old school with the levers and after some timing issues with a touch of lag, we managed to get all the levers done. When 1 of the people finally made their first trip across successfully, he was very happy (took 15-20 tries).

I was also able to teach someone how to solo the green puzzle room. Since my toon didn't have the jump needed to cross the bridges and with voice chat down, I had to type all the instructions for him, and he managed to complete it in a reasonable time. Like with most things: If you rush it, you can mess it up.

You could do an epic with multiple chambers, but i suggest you have a fifth chamber that allows for aome mechanic that would allow people in this chamber to reset the pillars in the other chambers. Also the rooms could lock people in but once they complete their chamber they can move to the pillar spawning chamber and from there they can enter any of the Titan chambers. What i mean is the chambers could have lock ins but players are not locked out from entering(some form of drop in). The combination of the not locked out and the pillar respawns would increase the chances that even if things go bad the raid could still be rescued.

Loromir

Older than Dirt
What is Currently in the Game?
Restless Isles consists of Hiding in Plain Sight (pre-quest) (Mystical Vessel drops in End Reward). Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan (4 items BTCoE, 1 item unbound). Slaver’s of the Shrieking Mines (3 items BTCoE, 1 item unbound). The pre-raid Twilight Forge (5 items BTCoE). The raid The Titan Awakes (17 items BTCoA). Also, the wilderness area of the Restless Isles, the wilderness is currently medium in size.

What Should be Kept for the Flavor of the Quests/Area?
The quest pack has some interesting mechanics different from normal packs as they stand now. All named items drop from specific chests and not necessarily the end chests. The map system with tunnels and islands along with keyed “check points” make getting around interesting. (A lot of people complain about this but being able to unlock the gates with Pick Lock or Bell of Opening makes it easier). Having the items Ogre Khan Skull and Horrid Golden Figurine to be able to use the guides is novel. The quest structure is different enough from others to have their own style.

What Should be Added/Changed?
For items I would like to see the BTCoE be changed to BTA on equip/acquire (Whichever is easiest to implement). New items should be added to Hiding in Plain Sight and keeping with the flavor of the pack they should drop in specific chests. There should be added items to the rare chests in the wilderness also. Not a guaranteed drop but a chance of dropping. The Quests should be upgraded to Epic in the level range of 25 for the quests, 26 for the pre-raid and 27 for the raid. (This was chosen because the 20-22 range has lots of items already along with quests and raids, the 25-27 range is very light currently). The raid (both heroic and epic) should have their own raid runes for dropping (Titan Runes). As a note, new items added to the quest pack need not be “perfect” in style. This location was an armory/vault of older items so keeping with that having off brand items would fit right in.

What could be added to enhance the Pack?
Currently the pack is quite light in content. I would like to see 6-10 additional quests added within the existing wilderness area or expanding it to accommodate the added quest load (I would not make the wilderness area epic, just keep it heroic). If the wilderness area was expanded adding in quest items to unlock specific areas of the map would be in line for the flavor of the pack (i.e. the Horrid Golden Figurine to unlock an area for the chance at a rare). This mechanic could be used for quest access where you run quest #1 to get item to allow access to quest #2 or section of wilderness where rare X spawns. Not all of them having quest givers but more akin to what is in Threnal and Cogs for walk up quests. There would also need to be items added for specific chests in those quests, to keep in line with the base quests. If it could also be changed to use pack ingredients for upgrading base items to epic/legendary versions that would entice more playability to the pack. If Tokens of the twelve were added to the epic quests along with Greater Token of the Twelve added to the raid this would give more reason for people to go through the quests (downside is the level is above level 20).
An idea for the added quests could be having 2 sets of 5 quests each. Each set would consist of 4 walkup quests that would unlock the 5th which would be a standard quest with quests giver and reward. After the first set is done it unlocks the 2nd set of walkups and finale quest for flagging for the new Legendary Titan Raid.

Added Suggestions and Ideas?
Lastly having a complete change to both pre-raid and raid for Legendary upgrade and setting the level at 36-38 with the anticipation of the upcoming base level increase to level 34. Having separate Legendary Runes for direct Legendary items would be good also, but still being able to upgrade epic to legendary with the 100 pack ingredients and 5 Star Fragments with (1-5) Greater Token(s) of the Twelve. I would also make the Raid itself more Dynamic (currently ideal run on the raid uses 3 people only, other than 1 shotting the Titan.)

The location is an armory of sorts so what about other named bosses that must be managed in their areas.
If they don't give us transporters directly to the quests...I'll never run it and won't pay for it. I don't like that wilderness area, and never have.

Mornyngstar

If they don't give us transporters directly to the quests...I'll never run it and won't pay for it. I don't like that wilderness area, and never have.
If you have someone share the quest with you then it makes it 10 times easier to get to the quests. You still have to know the shortcut route, but it is very easy. By having the wilderness different from other wildernesses is part of the charm (for me anyways) of Restless Isles. I guess if they made it like Stormhorns where you can pay 3 Astral Shards for transport would not be that bad but since the quest givers are in the wilderness then to collect/advance your quest you would end up paying twice per quest. Once to get to the quest and another to get to the quest giver to collect and only if someone shared the quests with you, otherwise it would then be 3 times paying (9 Astral Shards/quest).