Why the spell exceptions?

Praun

Granted, I rarely go to the PvP areas, I find it somewhat silly and nothing but an ego booster, but a guildmate and I were wondering how well his spells were working, so I decided to take my fighter out there to let him try some things on me.

A great majority of his spells wouldn't work because he was "in a public area."

He couldn't test out some of his more powerful spells on me ... which kind of defeats the entire concept, in my opinion.

Doesn't this basically make the PvP area a joke?

How can a spellcaster be expected to go up against a strong melee character if the spellcaster is gimped?

I believe more people would take advantage of this feature if it was a true battleground, instead of a place for melee characters to show off.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
I dont know if its any different but did you try one of the arenas?
Very much this. You need to head into the actual Arena's, by challenging your guildie to a match and picking any of the Arenas to go to. That'll set you up into a private instance where you can cast any and all spells to test.

Praun

You can't cast most spells in the public ones, for example.
Yeah, that part was obvious, Captain.

How do you know what an "Arena" is vs a "PvP"?

I've never heard of an "Arena" area, just the PvP areas inside some pubs.

If there IS a difference between the two, how does one distinguish between the PvP and the Arena?

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
The Arena's are private instances where it is only you and anyone else in that private PvP instance. As of such, any stray spells and effects will only be against your designated enemies.

The public brawler areas found in many inns and pubs in and around Stormreach enable players to PvP but not all effects are permitted because certain effects can affect others not between you and your "enemy". So rather than say let you drop a Blade Barrier (that has a large area that can impact on non-involved players just passing by), it will stop you from using it. But in a Private Instance, anything goes.

You can tell you're in an Arena and not the Pub Brawler area because you will not be in any area that looks like a Bar/Inn area. You're entirely in a different location.

J1NG

uncus

As a practical matter, you need to select your opponent in the portrait window, then select "Challenge Party" to get him/her to agree to a duel. If he/she accepts, you will both be sent to an arena.

Praun

As a practical matter, you need to select your opponent in the portrait window, then select "Challenge Party" to get him/her to agree to a duel. If he/she accepts, you will both be sent to an arena.

Ok, I don't mean to sound pedantic, but I'm still confused as to how to find this "Arena Area."

It appears it's not in a pub, like the PvP area, but it's some mysterious place you get (?)teleported(?) to once you challenge someone, and they accept the challenge.

Or am I still confused?

Where is this place?
Is it on another plane of existence?
How do you leave said Arena Area once you are done fighting?
Are you teleported back to your original spot once finished?

So many questions about this still.

Nahual

Ok, I don't mean to sound pedantic, but I'm still confused as to how to find this "Arena Area."

It appears it's not in a pub, like the PvP area, but it's some mysterious place you get (?)teleported(?) to once you challenge someone, and they accept the challenge.

Or am I still confused? No

Where is this place? It's an instance
Is it on another plane of existence? Most likely
How do you leave said Arena Area once you are done fighting? When someone wins or timer runs out
Are you teleported back to your original spot once finished? Yes

Answers in blue.

MadeWithLove

Or am I still confused?

Where is this place?
Is it on another plane of existence?
How do you leave said Arena Area once you are done fighting?
Are you teleported back to your original spot once finished?

To get into a pvp instance you need to group up and right click on your friend name. You'll be able to flag yourself for pvp and select a team. After that you talk to the npc next to the pit in a tavern and he'll teleport you to an arena of your choice.

In the lobster tavern, for exemple, the npc is right next to the door leading to the pit. He has a blue and red marker.

Pfill

Something like slay living with a DC of 90 would only be balanced in a pvp mode fleshed out with balanced resource spending, creeping, multiple units.

Game has never been balanced around pvp because they don't have the time or community for it. Even if they did it would just be like warframe and be a dead mode.