Worst builds?

Joanna Drecas

You can't even take the last two racial AA cores until epic levels, so it's just as well you changed focus. :D

BTW you listed the +1 Enchantment DCs from elf but it looks like you didn't actually take Enchantment Lore. If you still want it, I'd take the first two elf cores, first rank of Aerenal Weapon Training, max Enchantment Lore, one rank of elven Arcnaum, and racial AA unlock.
Yeah, I noticed that I went deep into epic levels yesterday night, and changed things around. Also removed the 1 DC from elf, since you need 2 ranks of arcanum to unlock arcane archer, and unless you have racial APs, there aren't enough points to unlock AA.

EDIT: If I wanted to continue into epics, I'd take Maximize and Empower instead of the 2 spell focuses, and use Primal Avatar as my source of damage. The balls to the wall approach with enchantment might play nice with Shiradi, could imagine using Fey Lights to keep everything stunned, while melting everything with Carrion Swarm from Primal.

EDIT 2: This might actually work. Maybe. I think this stupid thing is going to be my next life's build. Edited the build accordingly.

EDIT 3: Decided to try this build for real. Currently level 7, too early to tell how it will perform later on. Been playing it as a fairly standard Spellsinger. Will probably start using bows at level 12, when I finally have enough action points for it.

Last edited:

unbongwah

Also removed the 1 DC from elf, since you need 2 ranks of arcanum to unlock arcane archer
You should only need one rank of Arcanum. This is my wood elf paladin archer but it's the same for Khorvaire elves:
iSy5dCp.png

Careall

EDIT: Ooh, now I remember! I wanted that healing song from Spellsinger, tier 3 gives you Music of the Dead, so that acts as a long lasting Death Aura, and now I'm actually seeing that I put way too many points into Arcane Archer. This is supposed to be a heroic build, and some of the choices go deep into Epic levels. So maybe there ARE enough points for the song afterall?

EDIT2: Fiddled around with enhancement points, and went with tier 5 bard, for that 1 extra enchantment DC :p
Stop improving it. :p
Seriously. Not bad. That fits the theme perfectly.

Livmo

If you wall want some janky fun, run a Sun Elf Sorc to L30 cap. I had an alt that needed both past lives, so I was like why not?

So I did. Some parts of the journey were bad, but at times good when I got into epics. Overall I still have mixed feelings about the experience.

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
So some builds that technically work or having some underlying synergy, but are more or less not the best ideas to actually do?

1. Sacred Fist Razorclaw Shifter

Build wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the cost to get there.
1. buy off of the barbarian level
2. change alignment
3. change all class levels (15+) to paladin
4. ???
5. Profit

2. Zombie Ranged DPS

Pick up the 10% increased attack damage from t5 zombie and pair it with Multishot or Throwing daggers (since you can over cap yourself apparently on attack animation to offset the reduced attack speed form zombie) for big damage numbers.

3. No Spell DC's, all Spell power Blightcaster

Max int, max spellcraft, max spell power. Use only no save dc spells from druid (thorn, word of balance, creeping colds, black dragon bolt, carrion swarm, ruin, g. ruin, etc...).

4. Throwing Axe Swashbuckling Frenzied Beserker

Axes are 20/x3. Swashbuckling turns that into a 15-20/x4 with improved crit. Frenzied t5 makes it it a 15-20/x5 base. Seems op to me. Shame there isn't an expertise or boost that works with throwing axes. :(

unbongwah

4. Throwing Axe Swashbuckling Frenzied Beserker

Axes are 20/x3. Swashbuckling turns that into a 15-20/x4 with improved crit. Frenzied t5 makes it it a 15-20/x5 base. Seems op to me. Shame there isn't an expertise or boost that works with throwing axes. :(
This only works for handaxes. Throwing axes get +2 Threat Range +1 Multiplier from Swashbuckler, because they're initially 20/x2 weapons. So 15-20/x3 with Swashbuckling + Improved Critical (Thrown). Adding Focused Wrath would "upgrade" that 15-20/x4 (overriding Swashbuckling's multiplier bonus). But the same thing would happen with darts or throwing daggers and they benefit from Simple Thrown Weapon Expertise; the latter also benefits from Vistani Knife Fighter.

Though obviously since this is the worst builds thread, that might be seen as a plus, not a minus. It's like Bizarro DDO in here! :cool:

Arcanaverse

Solver of Secrets
This only works for handaxes. Throwing axes get +2 Threat Range +1 Multiplier from Swashbuckler, because they're initially 20/x2 weapons. So 15-20/x3 with Swashbuckling + Improved Critical (Thrown). Adding Focused Wrath would "upgrade" that 15-20/x4 (overriding Swashbuckling's multiplier bonus). But the same thing would happen with darts or throwing daggers and they benefit from Simple Thrown Weapon Expertise; the latter also benefits from Vistani Knife Fighter.

Though obviously since this is the worst builds thread, that might be seen as a plus, not a minus. It's like Bizarro DDO in here! :cool:

Check out each named throwing axe. they're all base 20/x3 (except for ferocrystal, but we're not using that one anyway).

https://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Throwing_Axes

:)

Jeronimo

Build 2: Imbue
Drow Paladin 8 Ranger 6 Rogue 2. 11 points into Sacred Fist, 22 points into Arcane Archer, 13 points into Dark Hunter, 8 points into Assassin, 22 points into Inquisitive, 19 points into Drow (16 points offset by PL AP). Go into Draconic Incarnation (13 EDP), Divine Crusader (12 EDP), and Legendary Dreadnought (6 EDP). Take a Scion legendary, Embodiment of Law, and Enhanced Elemental Damage feats.
Acquire augment from Hunt or Be Hunted raid along with a sentient weapon with the following filigrees:
* Snowpeak's Gifts: Imbue Dice
* 3 of any from The Long Shadow
* 3 of any from Snake Bite
* 2 of any from Reverberation
End result should be +48 imbue dice and access to Venomed Blades (1d8 poison, 2x power scaling). Build can gain up to 2 more imbue dice with the following:
* Losing Venomed Blades (19 -> 16 AP, now fully covered by PL) to get enough AP to go into Keeper of the Chalice (6 AP) for +1 imbue die. One would need to use AA imbue, Sacred Fist imbue, or Keeper imbue, all of which use a smaller die for damage and only Sacred Fist gives 2x power scaling, but only for melee.
* Adding Offhand Versatility feat. Due to needing to remain Centered, this would limit the user from using ranged, two-handed, or dual wielding. Rune arms break Centered status, so it's going to be an empty slot, but it does provide +1 imbue dice.

There could be incorrect information here, since I depended on the wiki heavily for numbers.
This build (with listed feats, enhancements and EDs) will have have 33 bonus dice if going drow (skipping arcane archer) and 34 if you go elf instead (skipping drow and dark hunter). Arcane archer is not available for Dark hunters so you have to make some choices and spend enhancements differently. Not sure if it would qualify as an actual worst build, there are definitely better ways of doing an imbue build though.

Rehmlah

Ooh, this seems like it might be a good place to put some build ideas I came up with for getting a fighter past life as someone who's allergic to the fighter class; they tend to be gimped versions of what I really want to play.
  • 8 fighter / 6 blightcaster / 6 warlock temp HP time: 11+ blightcaster for 3xWIS temp HP, 21+ warlock for CON temp HP, other points in falconry and kensei. Likely SWF with scimitars. No idea if warlock pact or aura conflicts with wild shapes.
  • 10 fighter / 10 blightcaster WIS-based melee: 41 falconry, 11+ kensei for crit multiplier, 11+ blightcaster for the 3xWIS temp hp. Spare points in kensei, stalwart defender, or feydark for GCS. Single Weapon Fighting with scimitars to not miss the competence crit range as badly. Enough bonus feats for Spring Attack. Supplement with no-save Druid spells and the extra PRR/MRR from casting a plant spell at your feet.
  • 10 fighter / 10 acolyte of the skin tiefling eldritch blaster: Ignore fighter enhancements, take greater and ultimate pact attunement when available. 10 AotS is enough to grab Evard's. Miss out on multiple core enhancements.
  • 14- fighter/ 6+ [CHA spellcaster]: 41 feydark, ~25 vistani, rest in class-specific trees like EK or swashbuckler.
    • 12 fighter / 6 warlock / 2 fvs : 34 Enlightened spirit (shining through, displacement), 25 vistani (crit, mist stalker IV, single or double dagger), 11 feydark (GCS), 7 beacon of hope (close wounds), 4 tainted scholar (feigned health). Probably doesn't deserve to be in this thread, and I think it started as someone else's idea but I don't have a name saved with the build.
Honestly, the 10 fighter / 10 blightcaster sounds kinda fun and may be what I end up doing for a fighter past life (barring anything new and exciting coming out before I try it). Fighter/(CHA caster) would probably also work but not have as many shiny buttons to press as I'd like.
-------
You know what? Since at least two of these seem to actually work, have some bonus non-fighter terrible build ideas:
  • Want to have healing auras for positive, negative, and repair without being a bard for some reason? How about also handling traps? 7 artificer / 7 wizard / 6 cleric. 34 radiant servant (positive energy aura, positive energy burst, radiance, reactive heal, divine energy resistance), 14 arcanotechnician (automated repairs, just babysit your pet :D ), 11+ inquisitive (auto-search), 3+ harper (int to hit). Prepare Death Aura and Insightful Damage.
  • Need more temp HP? 6+ warlock, 6+ blightcaster, 2+ barbarian. 34 ES (brilliance, spiritual retribution, shining through, displacement), 11 blightcaster (death eater, every rose has its thorn), 4 TS (feigned health), 8 FB (blood tribute). Then... 23 vistani for crit and be strength-based? Or go with PDK, feydark, or falconry to get CHA or WIS to-hit and damage for more temp HP but lose out on crit. You're also losing out on a competence bonus to actual HP, but who needs that when you have refreshing temp HP? :D Bonus points for using the Ring of Baphomet, lowering some of your temp HP for a chance at more temp HP when hit.

TeamScorpioRI

I had a guidie that used to do a "random build" life. What they would do is complete random rolls for all class choices. Roll 1d15 on the first, 2nd, and 3rd levels.. and then roll 1d3 on each level there after... Whatever you get, you need to make it work. Stats would be based on the first class picked...

There were limitations (alignment being the big one)

Sheikra

I worked on a build that was a tabaxi fighter using handwraps. It was dex to hit/dmg + dex trance, wwa, and a lot of twitch fighting to avoid the mega slow kick animation lol!

The dps was actually pretty solid, but much worse than a thf gsword fighter would be haha! But it had evasion.

Buddha5440

I'm not sure if they're bad because I have no method of searching for common builds and am rather new. My highest level is a level 3 monk, but I have a history of minmaxing in Path of Exile.
Build 1: Dodge
Gnome Monk 12 Rogue 6 Fighter 2. 32 AP into Thief Acrobat, 8 AP into Ninja Spy, 13 AP into Henshin Mystic, 11 AP into Kensei, 7 AP into Horizon Walker, 13 AP into Gnome racial (offset by PL AP). Go into Grandmaster of Flowers (32 EDP) and Fury of the Wild (4 EDP). Grab everything dodge-related within AP count on all trees. Take Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, and Scion of the Plane of Air feats.
Acquire sentient weapon and apply the following filigrees:
* Snowpeak's Gifts: Dodge and Max Dodge
* Shadowstrike: Dodge and Max Dodge
* Twilight's Cloak: Dodge and Max Dodge
* Celerity: Dodge and Max Dodge
* Zephyr: Dodge
* Through the Mists: Dodge
* 2 additional Zephyr (any)
* 2 additional Through the Mists (any)
End result should be ~67% dodge cap and ~60% dodge without items or active effects. Rogue gives Uncanny (25% uncapped dodge, 8% uptime), and the fighter levels can be shifted to rogue to turn that into Improved Uncanny (50% uncapped, 18% uptime), allowing one to hit the hard cap of 95% chance to dodge. I am not sure how Shadowdancer's Meld interacts with other Epic Strikes, but if it cannot be accessed through shorter cooldown strikes, then it can provide 15% uncapped dodge with 66% uptime for 21 EDP (within PL range).

Build 2: Imbue
Drow Paladin 8 Ranger 6 Rogue 2. 11 points into Sacred Fist, 22 points into Arcane Archer, 13 points into Dark Hunter, 8 points into Assassin, 22 points into Inquisitive, 19 points into Drow (16 points offset by PL AP). Go into Draconic Incarnation (13 EDP), Divine Crusader (12 EDP), and Legendary Dreadnought (6 EDP). Take a Scion legendary, Embodiment of Law, and Enhanced Elemental Damage feats.
Acquire augment from Hunt or Be Hunted raid along with a sentient weapon with the following filigrees:
* Snowpeak's Gifts: Imbue Dice
* 3 of any from The Long Shadow
* 3 of any from Snake Bite
* 2 of any from Reverberation
End result should be +48 imbue dice and access to Venomed Blades (1d8 poison, 2x power scaling). Build can gain up to 2 more imbue dice with the following:
* Losing Venomed Blades (19 -> 16 AP, now fully covered by PL) to get enough AP to go into Keeper of the Chalice (6 AP) for +1 imbue die. One would need to use AA imbue, Sacred Fist imbue, or Keeper imbue, all of which use a smaller die for damage and only Sacred Fist gives 2x power scaling, but only for melee.
* Adding Offhand Versatility feat. Due to needing to remain Centered, this would limit the user from using ranged, two-handed, or dual wielding. Rune arms break Centered status, so it's going to be an empty slot, but it does provide +1 imbue dice.

There could be incorrect information here, since I depended on the wiki heavily for numbers.
Sadly, build 2 won't work as you can't have AA & DH trees unless you go elf or h-elf for the racial AA tree (which would require an additional 14 AP). Also, AA imbue only works on bows (not counting Xbows). The bonus dice from tiers 2+ will add to other imbued though. Also, also, you mention something about rune arms, which are moot since they can only be used by Artificers.

Paimon

Not so much worst build as pointless build.
Build your own Paladin.
Goal: Build a durable high damage, high defence melee weapon user that can also heal. I want to use Greatswords, but those are cut off until Epic.
Restriction: No Paladin Levels. No Feydark Illusionist.
Problem that is attempting to be solved: MAD.

My original thought on Reddit was to use Favoured Soul and Sacred Fist to get +CHA to everything, but it was rightly pointed out that I had overlooked the level 6 Sacred Fist ability that mimics the level 2 Favoured Soul ability that adds CHA to attack and damage. I was then also pointed to the Feydark Illusionist, which does the same thing with like 3 action points. Since the Sacred Fist is basically a Paladin anyway, just being nearly pure Sacred Fist does the original intended job better anyway.

Version 1: Tiefling Favoured Soul 12/Fighter 8. Favoured Weapon: Longsword.
Advantage: Fifth and Sixth level spells.
Equivalencies: Immunity to Fear, Heavy Armor.
Disadvantage: Worse BAB, worse caster level. BAB somewhat mitigated by Divine Might and other buff spells. Low caster levels mitigated by mostly casting buffs and heals.

Version 2: Drow Favoured Soul 10/Monk 10 - Favoured Weapon: Shortsword. Wisdom to hit and Damage instead of Cha.
Advantage: Fifth level spells. Dodgy.
Equivalencies: Immunity to Disease (Kinda).
Disadvantages: Bad Monk, Bad Caster. Lose 6 Centered AC from the multiclass. Dex still wants to be high.

TavernTails

Tuesday Trivia Host on DDOstream
I spent a few hours trying to make a Morninglord Enlightened Spirit Warlock work before tossing the whole thing in the trash. Maybe there is a way, but I needed too many racial past lives for racial APs to even begin to make it work.

Last edited:

TavernTails

Tuesday Trivia Host on DDOstream
Y'all are working to hard. Just pick a Path build.
No kidding., I used one of the paths on a Bladeforged Paladin once to 'help' a guildee in Gianthold and he quickly became known as W2P, or "World's Worst Paladin"