Zergers delight. How fast do you level?

fireball241_jt

How fast can you level a character?

When I play for a few hours a day with the right group doing the right chain quests as a first time entry for my character on R5 or less I am guessing about 1 level in less than 6 hours for my average.

How fast can you do it and advice on how? Times? Days? Level ranges? First life? After life's? Quest recommendations?

How fast have you done it?
Bragging rights are welcome!

P.S. I have been playing since 2010, but have never TR'd. TR seems like a daunting chore. Power creep catches up, but I was just wondering? Because many do it. Am I the only one who never TR'd a toon? There are work arounds for $$$ I guess.

I just came back after 4 yr break with lots of power creep and enjoyed respec'ing and rebuilding a few of my first life's with lots of LRs laying around.

Sell me on TR if you want to. I welcome the ridicule.
When power creep hits do you wonder if TR is even worth it?
How many characters do you run?

Last edited:

fireball241_jt

After coming back from a 4 yr break most have been great with me slowing them down as an old man returning player.

I usually warn them and they are patient. One player was complaining about my toon (with old gimp gear) dying and that they should bring back death penalty and that I slowed them down, but the others really gave it io the complaining player. They like the death penalty is gone. They want new and returning players to support the game.

I did not say anything and we went through the chain of Quests. After I saw them reform without the complainer, but did not want to slow them down and did not join. They would have had me I bet.

Last edited:

Dandonk

My TR group runs from 1 to 20 in about 20 hours of gaming. I hear of some people doing it much much faster, though.

Theo

In general I usually do a TR in about 18 hours of quest time solo .... I know there are people out there that do it in less than 10 hours ... I think I remember someone saying they did it in less than 6 hours once ... but I am old and have a bad memory

In order to do it you have to have a plan know what quests your are going to do
- - (sometimes its better to do a quest multiple times then do a new one)
& having a group helps (splitting up and such to maximize XP per min) (trap bonus) (other stuff)
& optimize the paths between quests
& minimize TR bank gear swapping (level 5, 10 & 15 gear)

FaustianBargain

I don’t know that I’ll talk you into or out of a TR, and there’s a good thread on it already. I would just say that if you like playing the game AND see some past lives that would directly benefit what you want to do with a character, the TR process isn’t that bad. You can pick and choose the past lives that are most helpful to you and ignore the rest - it’s all you care to eat vs gotta eat everything.

So:
Two TRs is helpful for getting 4 extra build points. Not life altering but it can help you put a few more points in INT for skills, or in another stat that might help you qualify for a helpful feat earlier and open up more build possibilities. By level 32 those extra points are largely irrelevant, dwarfed by the contribution of gear and other sources that boost your stats.

Racial TRs
Are helpful but really shine in increments of three where you get an extra racial action point to spend. Sometimes the extra skill or ability bonus can be helpful, but the racial action points increase build flexibility quite a bit.

For heroic past lives:
Almost any build that relies on being healed with positive energy can benefit from three paladin past lives for a 30% boost to healing amp - that’s a meaningful boost. You can get 15% more from three lives of sacred fist.
If you’re a caster and regularly miss CC with blue shields on monsters with spell resistance, three past lives of wizard and three of favored soul are worth it - 9 spell penetration is meaningful.
Most of the rest are nice to haves - they’re valuable but outweighed by the rest of the power curve.

Iconic past lives:
Almost anything here is just utility and nice to have stuff, but it’s a convenient way to get a class past life plus a bit of a lift from the iconic - for instance you could do three bladeforged lives and get 15% fortification AND the 30% paladin PL healing amp.

Epic past lives:
If there is a useful active stance for your build it might be worth going for 3 past lives in that feat and sphere - what caster couldn’t benefit from a 10% shorter cooldown or a 9% crit chance, what melee couldn’t use 9% more doublestrike, etc.

C-Dog

I just want to say that, while fast TR'ing is certainly one way to play the game, many players take their time, even to the point of not focusing on Reincarnation at all and just doing it whenever it shows up.

The only "right" way to play the game is however you, the individual player, find your "fun", and only you can define that for yourself.

So, fast, slow or indifferent, haff fun stomin da cassul!
o/

Bunker

VIP xp perk + Greater Learning Bonus + 20% xp pot + Every quest R1 first time xp. =

24 hours of quest time to cap level 32. 3 six hour 20% pots for heroic, 1 six hour 20% pot for epic. Another of this solo.

Epic TR. Twice each life, using slayer and saga turn ins for one of the epic 20-32. Usually I don't rerun any quests.

This is an average speed running quest chains that don't always garner the best xp per min. But a decent baseline.

Fastest I have ever done a 1-32 was in ~18 hours of total in game quest time. (Including running between quests) 50% pot and was a 25% bonus weekend. This was in a group, splitting off where needed, with good box and trap bonuses when available.

Alco

18-20 hours seems right. However, if you get a good group of experienced players who plan ahead (know the quests they want to run, have classes/skills that cover all eventualities, have gear ready and waiting when they level, etc.) you can probably do it in less time. I have a mix of guildies and friendly other-guild members who run a fairly static group that I can occasionally join when there is a spot open and the levels match. For this group I often struggle to make any sort of contribution as they are very good, work great together and it is basically a sprint to the end.

NOTE: That is NOT a criticism because we have fun chatting on discord with each other as we run and to be fair, 99% of these leveling quests I have done 100 times so I have no need to spend any more time in them than necessary. It is all about XP/min at that point and with their group speed the XP return is fantastic.

Zuldar

It varies a bit, but I can generally go 1-32 in about 2 days or so. Fast enough that the TR timer can be a problem at times. So the 18-20 hours time frame feels correct.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
When I play for a few hours a day with the right group doing the right chain quests as a first time entry for my character on R5 or less I am guessing about 1 level in less than 6 hours for my average.
"R5 or less"... yeah, I zerg r1's to cap. The RXP in heroics isn't worth running slower in higher skulls; turning skulls up just slows the leveling process. It's all about the best regular XP/min and r1's cover that. At cap, will run high skulls for RXP but not until then.

FaustianBargain

My TR times vary wildly - I don’t try to track them, but I’d guess I’m closer to 30 hours of in game time for heroic, and probably equal on going to level 30. But, it can be shorter if I decide to keep potions running full time, or it can be double if I decide it’s time to run a few sagas on guild renown bonus weekend, or there’s an event, or I decide to run less efficient but fresher feeling content, or I’m trying to farm some gear, or farming sentient XP, or…

C-Dog put it perfectly - just TR at a speed where it’s fun for you.

Spook

It varies a bit, but I can generally go 1-32 in about 2 days or so. Fast enough that the TR timer can be a problem at times. So the 18-20 hours time frame feels correct.
This is why I was alternating between iconic and non-iconic (separate timers) when I was doing archetype lives