How many total bankable/inventorable tems are in DDO?

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
Only things you can put in inventory or bank, character or shared. I wonder just how many items there are that can get "attached" to a toon. Since we basically carry our entire bank around with us at all times behind the scenes, I've been thinking about just how much stuff there is in this game.

What's the integer limit on a 32-bit system?
Are there "wrappers" or other methods that can extend or band-aid this limit?
Is it possible we are hitting this limit? Even toons with duplicate items might count as a unique iteration.

I wonder, the more people you come into contact with, perhaps theres some stacking counter or metric that slowly climbs? Maybe the other players don't even have to be in your party.

Could we be hitting an item iteration limit? Could the wrapper be overtaxed? (if it exists)

Doh title should be: inventoriable

Sylvado

Not likely we carry them all the time. More likely the storage items are in a table that is only loaded at the bank or things like crafting stations.

Not likely we carry them all the time. More likely the storage items are in a table that is only loaded at the bank or things like crafting stations.
Multiple tables I hope, with only the relevant ones loaded when required (TR cache, Character bank, account bank, crafting mats bank, inventory, bags etc).

They don't do themselves any favours though, when stackable items have different maximum stack sizes depending on where they are - no wonder there is lag all the time, the spaghetti code needed for that alone will be a nightmare.

Ahpuch

Only things you can put in inventory or bank, character or shared. I wonder just how many items there are that can get "attached" to a toon. Since we basically carry our entire bank around with us at all times behind the scenes, I've been thinking about just how much stuff there is in this game.

Is it possible we are hitting this limit? Even toons with duplicate items might count as a unique iteration.

I wonder, the more people you come into contact with, perhaps theres some stacking counter or metric that slowly climbs? Maybe the other players don't even have to be in your party.

Could we be hitting an item iteration limit? Could the wrapper be overtaxed? (if it exists)

Likely in the trillions (ok trillions is big, probably just 10s of billions). The RNG loot provides a lot of permutations. Even the named items by the time you factor in the diffferent permutations of reaper, mythic and augment slots means that every named item has hundreds of variations. And then there is wear, both permanent and temporary that can make two items different and require storage.

But this is immaterial as the character doesn't have to carry around/bank all the possible items. They just need to carry around/bank all the items they choose to keep. Much like you carry around a wallet to contain the cash you have not all the cash that you could possibly have. So characters are limited to a thousand or two in the bank and 140 or so in inventory (plus bags which would inflate that by a few hundred again).

Last edited:

PersonMan

When you link something to chat around the end of the chat limit it breaks the link (removing the closing ">" and potentially more characters) and displays the IID.

As you can see this is a very large number for the examine on my Crystal Cones.
<Examine:IID:0x****0007E6CC4DF1
If I split the stack it will create a new IID for the newly made stack
<Examine:IID:0x****001898CAC53E

Speculation:

000029D5972D - is around late 2009
001898CAC53E - is today

I presume (hope) that when an item is destroyed or restacked the IID is freed up to be replaced by a new item, so you will likely have newer items that appear to be older. (based on filling a destroyed lower item ID)

: Suppose now we will have a contest to see who has the "oldest" item.

Last edited:

Ahpuch

I presume (hope) that when an item is destroyed or restacked the IID is freed up to be replaced by a new item.

I would hope not. Trying to reuse those IDs is a recipe for performance problems and bugs. With the 10 alphanumeric digits shown that can give 3 quintillion ids making reuse pointless. (For example 1 million players creating an item every second for 32ish years would use 1 quintillion ids).

PersonMan

I would hope not. Trying to reuse those IDs is a recipe for performance problems and bugs. With the 10 alphanumeric digits shown that can give 3 quintillion ids making reuse pointless. (For example 1 million players creating an item every second for 32ish years would use 1 quintillion ids).
yeah, further examination does seem unlikely

PersonMan

BTW, how do yo see those IDs?
When you link something to chat around the end of the chat limit it breaks the link (removing the closing ">" and potentially more characters) and displays the IID.
Try linking 3+ items into chat until one gets cut off, then use spaces or w/e to adjust where it gets cut off until it is cutting off the ">" after the IID number.

It was something I noticed a while back when trying to link too many items in one message as I guess the entire thing contributes to the character limit
  • <Examine:IID:0x****************>[item displayed name]</Examine>
instead of just
  • [item displayed name]

Last edited:

Titus Ovid

Mover and Shaker
More than

item-number.jpg

since I am missing a lot of festival items and cosmetics

Cheers,
Titus

GrizzlyOso

You sound like an account rep. And then all the tech people know who get that this is nonsense by glances and eye rolls.