IoD gear breakdown please

AbyssalMage

How bad is the Dino crafting realistically? I am debating to get IOD or Fey as the gift on one of my accounts. What would ya all suggest? I dont have Vecna, IOD, Fey or Saltmarsh
Sharn covers 29 gear. Fey only supplements level 29 but does make OP gear at 5 (which should never be a consideration). Saltmarsh is for level 20, IMO. That leaves IoD as the last viable choice.

nenetteblackmoor

Really surprised they call the combined ingredients Augments!

Augments to me have always been a separate and identifiable thing.

Calling the crafted ingredients Augments just seems confusing to me.

Could have called them Fossils, Rocks, Stones, or even gems like in S/L’s crafting. Anything but Augments! 😂

Developers of DDO often make such mistakes, using the same name for different things and giving different names to the same thing.

If you're unsure, just go for the IoD. While Feywild gear is versatile and handy, it does have drawbacks such as lacking the Profane set bonus.

Plus, there will likely be future opportunities to buy Faywild at a low price.

Col Kurtz

How bad is the Dino crafting realistically? I am debating to get IOD or Fey as the gift on one of my accounts. What would ya all suggest? I dont have Vecna, IOD, Fey or Saltmarsh
IOD crafting is cool..but you'll need to run through all the quests on at least elite, maybe 3 times before your supply of mats fills your appetite+ prob farm the slayer chests as you go too.

Feywild had almost as good gear sets. just as good if you're not min/maxing...prob with fey is all the different season sets are a total pain to wrap around your brain. You'll need a lot more bank space to sort through the different equipment, unless you just try farm specific sets from other players recommendations.

Dread stuff feels more versatile to swap around when changing classes/just an opinion there... but i can swap gear and maybe change a few augs...and use some the same items on totally diff characters.

nenetteblackmoor

IOD crafting is cool..but you'll need to run through all the quests on at least elite, maybe 3 times before your supply of mats fills your appetite+ prob farm the slayer chests as you go too.

Wouldn't it be quicker and easier to gather the materials needed for Dino Craft by opening wilderness chests rather than doing quests?

voenixa121

Wouldn't it be quicker and easier to gather the materials needed for Dino Craft by opening wilderness chests rather than doing quests?
You'll hit ransack really fast that way. Every chest in a quest gives bones, not just the end chest. Plus the saga gives you 25 bones of your choice.

Col Kurtz

You'll hit ransack really fast that way. Every chest in a quest gives bones, not just the end chest. Plus the saga gives you 25 bones of your choice.
you also gain a few more bones for each difficulty..so running elite or r1, they add up faster. Wilderness drops similar #s as normal, i believe.

+ you'll be getting named items while farming that dont drop in the wilderness

nenetteblackmoor

That's only half right.

Even if you clear quests with Elite or Reaper, you'll only get 4-7 Bones from one chest, but in the wilderness, you can get two types of Bones from one chest, each yielding 2-5 pieces.
That's more than when you open boxes with Reaper!
With luck, you can open a box outside in 20 seconds.

Ransack? There are 9 types of Named enemies in the wilderness that drop Bones.
By the time you open 71 chests (8x9), you'll have enough materials.
You don't need to threaten to do 3 rounds in Elite, even a newbie can easily gather materials in the wilderness.

The characteristic of Wildness is that even in solo play, you can easily achieve results surpassing those of Elite or Reaper in your spare time.

Unless you specifically want certain items or desire the Bone Picker, of course.

Graceunderpressure

When l was debating Salt vs Fey, l immediately noticed the dbl augment slots on every piece of gear in Salt. Then l tried to Tetris my (at that time) current melee gear sets and Salt fit in nicely with 5 piece plus Sharn @ 20 and then 5 piece plus Sharn PotF again at 30.

I eventually bought Fey, but have never used a single item. No matter how l tried to fit them in, l always lose too much stat on something.

Funny that so many poohpooh Salt and talk up Fey. I’m guessing they don’t play melee as there mains?

All this time l think l have only seen 1 other person post that they did this as well and were surprised that everyone passed on Salt.

Graceunderpressure

I should add that l am a bit of a rebel, listening to all, but ultimately making up my own mind based on actual game play, survivability.

L10 R/L is another eg. My L10 gear is 8 piece Slavers + Cannith and some add ins. No matter how l tried to fit R/L gear, again, l would lose way to much stat. My focus is main stats plus accuracy/ armour pierce/ deadly/ seeker/ fort/ etc

I ended up making up the missing Profane MP from Slaver items with Reaper power

Graceunderpressure

If l can leave my gear set alone 3 piece PotF + 5 piece Salt and add 5 piece Dread (for the 5 fill ins l have now) l think that would be my best bet.

Simple and l get rid of only lesser gear for greater gear and another Big set bonus

Graceunderpressure

So first thing l noticed is there are no ins or qual stats. So while it gives you a lot of ability to move things around, really looks limited compared to slavers crafting.

I will have to take some time and see if this is worth the effort.

Will take a while to build up ing’s anyway, so we’ll see.

Graceunderpressure

My DPS is already beast-mode "pull off any tank" level.

After tinkering with Maetrim's builder I realized I'm less than half the power level I should be due to not having IoD.

Jeeez...ussss ... I can probably solo R8/9 EZ with this kind of damage output as a melee.

Insane.
I really need to learn how to use this if you could actually see that much difference at a glance.

What do you do, plug in all your gear and it tells you what you missing out on? 😆

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
I really need to learn how to use this if you could actually see that much difference at a glance.

What do you do, plug in all your gear and it tells you what you missing out on? 😆
Effectively. You put in all your current gear and it spits out damage numbers and then you can add other gear into it to see how you approve.

What would REALLY be cool is if you can say take your damage per hit or second and click "maximize" and it'll auto output the gear you need to maximize that particular number.

voenixa121

That's only half right.

Even if you clear quests with Elite or Reaper, you'll only get 4-7 Bones from one chest, but in the wilderness, you can get two types of Bones from one chest, each yielding 2-5 pieces.

You don't need to threaten to do 3 rounds in Elite, even a newbie can easily gather materials in the wilderness.

The characteristic of Wildness is that even in solo play, you can easily achieve results surpassing those of Elite or Reaper in your spare time.

Unless you specifically want certain items or desire the Bone Picker, of course.
If this is better to you than doing quests, that's fine. I never play solo, so quests are not that much more difficult than wilderness. We actually do both, run quests and gather all the named chests on the way. With how random the wilderness is there is always some named chests ransacked before all others, which just annoys me to no end. Sometimes there is only 1 rare around at all. And some quests have some real easy to get optional chests too.
You'll have to farm the wilderness bosses eventually to get pearls.
However the second type of bones in the wilderness are always tyrannosaurus teeth.

nenetteblackmoor

If this is better to you than doing quests, that's fine. I never play solo, so quests are not that much more difficult than wilderness. We actually do both, run quests and gather all the named chests on the way. With how random the wilderness is there is always some named chests ransacked before all others, which just annoys me to no end. Sometimes there is only 1 rare around at all. And some quests have some real easy to get optional chests too.
You'll have to farm the wilderness bosses eventually to get pearls.
However the second type of bones in the wilderness are always tyrannosaurus teeth.

Isn't it that Black Pearls, necessary for crafting in the first place, can only be obtained from the wilderness or raids?

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Effectively. You put in all your current gear and it spits out damage numbers and then you can add other gear into it to see how you approve.

What would REALLY be cool is if you can say take your damage per hit or second and click "maximize" and it'll auto output the gear you need to maximize that particular number.
Tetris isn't just "max single thing" and nothing else. There's a lot of nuance to it. It'd just spit out a gearset that leaves a person otherwise bad. High damage per hit, accuracy so low it never hits or so glass mobs don't even have to hit them to kill the player, etc.

Col Kurtz

That's only half right.

lmao..no one's "threatening'; IOD farming comes down to practicality and convenience. Some players like farming slayer areas...some like quests...some like BOTH. Hitting a loop of rares between quests keeps things fresh. Besides, we all know that the bones don't drop evenly, so after 1 week I doubt a player will have the right number of bones for more than 1-2 augs. To fill a 5 pc set takes way more than 1 round of rares x7.

The dread items won't make your character magically able to solo elite/r1.. that's your build. That's cool though, farm hard or normal + slayers if ya have to. The extra saga bones always seem to fill in the gap of what bones have been dropping lopsided. ..and have fun;)