Iron golems

Grimstad

I'm playing a warlock with fiend pact, so, fire and force damage. When I try blasting iron golems, the force does very little damage, and the fire heals them back up to 100%. My kill spells (evard's black tentacles and circle of death) have no effect. I end up having to beat on it with my flimsy little scepter.

Any ideas on how to damage these things for a warlock?

Ying

5000+ hours played
If you're in early heroics, use Suggestion on a nearby mob, run by them if that's an option or bring a friend.

If you're in later heroics like Sharn, Arcane Tempest works well.

FuzzyDuck81

Turn off fiend pact so you don't end up healing them. Tentacles usually work well enough since they're physical damage, make sure you have metamagics switched on. Maybe use a melee hireling. Utterdark blast is usually a good bet since light/alignment are pretty easy to boost. Consume/striken are pretty effective if you invest in the soul eater tree.

Grimstad

If you're in early heroics, use Suggestion on a nearby mob, run by them if that's an option or bring a friend.

If you're in later heroics like Sharn, Arcane Tempest works well.
Turn off fiend pact so you don't end up healing them. Tentacles usually work well enough since they're physical damage, make sure you have metamagics switched on. Maybe use a melee hireling. Utterdark blast is usually a good bet since light/alignment are pretty easy to boost. Consume/striken are pretty effective if you invest in the soul eater tree.
I'll give these suggestions a try

Reactions: DBZ

vryxnr

So very much this. Pact damage is a toggle, so for enemies that heal from it's damage, turn it off.

Also, WEB is your friend. Iron Golems (and most constructs in general) have meh reflex saves and web is not blocked by SR, so use Web to lock down iron golems so they can't fight back.

saekee

long live ROGUE
I know you do not want to melee them but if so, a mace of smiting has adamantine and construct instakill. It will do wonders on Iron Golems, iron defenders, warforged, and static constructs like the gun thingies.

Slot in a snowpeaks ruby (an event item so may take a while to get it) for a chance to freeze it too and swap on the lowest level of Frozen tunic for Minor freezing ice. This will give you freezing ice, minor freezing ice and smiting, so two CCs and instakill. (Swapling robes is instantaneous in DDO for some reason; some Dev was a male stripper.)

Driaza

Also if your fiend pact you'll eventually get a spell called "hurl through hell" which I believe is one of the few kill spells that actually works on golems and doesn't care about SR similar to prismatic spray but with more reliability.
This

Works very well again non champion golems

I find some types of champs resist more than others - looking at those pesky Heroic Golems in Reach for the Sky at the last Sky boat - they are a pain sometimes!!

festasha

Mace of smiting ftw :p , well its ok for low levels :)
As Vryxnr says turn of the pact damage and pop down a web and you should be ok.

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
I'm reminded of a story about a group of warlocks running VON5. When they hit the Iron Golem boss there were stuck beating it down for a LONG time because their Eldrich Blasts were barely tickling him.

FuzzyDuck81

Just remembered another, penetrating blast switches your blast to piercing rather than force - still uses the same spellpower but counts like physical damage rather than magical, that can be a handy option too though tier 4 is a pretty hefty investment & it depends a lot on your current level & AP distribution.

Grimstad

Just remembered another, penetrating blast switches your blast to piercing rather than force - still uses the same spellpower but counts like physical damage rather than magical, that can be a handy option too though tier 4 is a pretty hefty investment & it depends a lot on your current level & AP distribution.
I thought force damage is physical damage. Or is it like physical damage?

FuzzyDuck81

I thought force damage is physical damage. Or is it like physical damage?
It's a tricky one - as far as I understand it, it's like physical, but its still magical so is subject to certain damage mitigation like MRR & the generalised % based magical damage resistance that the golems have, while the piercing damage from penetrating blast is treated the same as being hit by a wielded weapon, so it'll be reduced by the regular PRR or /adamantine damage reduction (a set number not a %) that golems have

Lazuli

Hurl Through Hell works on no boss (it works on heroic minibosses too). Against bosses you need use dps.

For dps, with the pact you have no choice but to deactivate it, otherwise you will be healing them all the time. Force damage can be changed to piercing by the tainted scholar's "penetrating blast" stance. This allows you to do significantly more damage to them than with force. I'm surprised no one told you this. In heroics this is the most effective way to kill golems, and good for legendary too.

Don't forget going back to "faltering blast" after killing the golems.

Ruins work against golems, but be careful with intensified ruin... I hope you are a tiefling that can remove their immunity to fire just long enough to cast the ruins. Arcane tempest works on them, but meh, it's force and golems eat a lot of that damage. Penetrating blast is still your friend.

Anyway, golems are a nightmare for warlocks. Also for other casters without bypass, but especially for fire walocks.

Last edited: