Lamannia U66 Preview 1 Release Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fauxknight

I would really appreciate the Experimental Tumble Controls being made the default - and instead have an internal 1 second cooldown on tumble if the goal is to prevent high speed spam.

This. I don't mind the easy tumble controls, but an ICD would prevent me from gettingv in groups where multiple characters roll around like Sonic. It may not affect me mechanically, but it violates my sense of esthetics...

Arthuvin

Completely disabling (unless temporary) seems to be an overreaction to its current usage. Would recommend that in the long-term it is returned for having certain prerequisites, such as a very high tumble skill (100 or so) or unlocked in staff trees (acrobat or mystic).
Or add a limited number of charges with a cooldown timer.

droid327

This. I don't mind the easy tumble controls, but an ICD would prevent me from gettingv in groups where multiple characters roll around like Sonic. It may not affect me mechanically, but it violates my sense of esthetics...
It violates my sense of aesthetics to see people jumping twice their body height in plate armor and vaulting over humanoid sized mobs. Nerf jump :p

Dvinesword

I am disappointed to see that fixing intimidate was not part of the bug fixes. It has been broken since update 59. I have reported this several times through the in game bug report. Posted many things about it in the forums and have even brought it up with cordovan a couple of times in his Fridays at four. He said that it was being looked into. But still no love.

Ilvati

With respect to tumble, I think a faster movement speed while leveling is something that makes me more interested in playing. The slog of walking in quests is not fun. There have been a number of suggestions that address this depending where on the spectrum the devs want to go. Add an ICD, make block a toggle for faster run speed like a sprint in other games, add a debuff after tumbling "too many" times. All of these are good suggestions and would be better than a blanket removal.
The second point is positional combat and the fun tumble brings to dodging attacks and creating a more active gameplay experience. This is the best thing for me. It makes an old MMO like DDO seem more like modern ones such as GW2 or NW. Removing this makes the game return to a more dated feel. If the devs don't like the issues created by player skills differences or the incremental survivability added by this, fine; but at least be transparent about the reasons here.

Wolf

Make it like wings give us charges that regain over time...
This!
Getting a skill that goes from useless to useful was an amazing breath of fresh air for me. I agree that the chaining together of too many tumbles is immersion breaking. Totally get it. But the old skills NEED some love. Seeing one that can actually be USEFUL to avoid enemies and move around combat is AMAZING! If some of the people here are complaining, but traditionally NEVER put a single point into Tumble, I encourage you all to TRY using Tumble in combat situations and then reflect back upon your complaints... We need some changes to the core stuff. Polish it I have brought many of my RL friends in about 2 years ago. The FIRST thing a couple of them tried was to tumble in combat stuff. It didn't work for them. Tumble was useless. That, and a few other old mechanics caused the game to be a fail for them. If they tried the game today, they may have stuck it enough to love it.
If they try the game again when Tumble is returned to its crap days, for SURE it is a fail for them.
Corrections are called for here.
NOT removal...

CBDunk

Make it like wings give us charges that regain over time fix it dont remove it.

My preferences;
1: Restore experimental tumble exactly as it was. It's fine.
2: As above, let it work exactly as it does now, except with charges and refresh times similar to Exalted Angel wings.
3: Increase run speeds slightly based on tumble skill value, such that running and tumbling speeds come out about the same.
4: Have it work exactly as it does now, but decrease the forward tumble distance slightly so that it doesn't outpace running.
5: Some combination of the above (e.g. shorter tumble distance AND increased run speed based on tumble)

The 'one second cooldown between tumbles' type ideas are non-starters for me as they destroy the ability to tumble around to get out of a thick scrum of melee opponents.

Ooblagato

Hiding in plain sight
My preferences;
1: Restore experimental tumble exactly as it was. It's fine.
2: As above, let it work exactly as it does now, except with charges and refresh times similar to Exalted Angel wings.
3: Increase run speeds slightly based on tumble skill value, such that running and tumbling speeds come out about the same.
4: Have it work exactly as it does now, but decrease the forward tumble distance slightly so that it doesn't outpace running.
5: Some combination of the above (e.g. shorter tumble distance AND increased run speed based on tumble)

The 'one second cooldown between tumbles' type ideas are non-starters for me as they destroy the ability to tumble around to get out of a thick scrum of melee opponents.
I think this is more or less exactly how we all feel. With preference orders slightly shifted for the odd ones out that really cared about the aesthetics of tumbling around.

Reym

Just make tumbling slower at lower investment. That way not everyone is going to do it just people who are willing to invest in it.

CBDunk

Just make tumbling slower at lower investment. That way not everyone is going to do it just people who are willing to invest in it.

Sure, if they can scale the tumbling distance or animation speed based on tumble skill value that could work too... but I'm not sure if either of those are possible.

Nectmar

is there a way to keep the Experimental Tumble Controls (At least when in combat, I often use it to move around group, position myself for ray spell, improve precised shot, get out of enemies AOE and more), One of the thing that I love is the combat mechanic when used well.

I'm ok as it not being the fastest way to run and make it so you can catch on to other players with wings/leap ability but I would love to see antoher way to stop player for using it to move around evrywhere whitout completly removing the feature. A limit on thumble in a row or whithin a certain amount of time, being nauseated after x thumble on a row or somthing else would be better i think. there is already a ton a condiftion preventing you from thumbling, just nothing in towns.
Here me out with this simple fix: Tumble charges. 1 at rank 1 of Tumble, 2 at rank 10 of Tumble, and 3 at rank 20. Note that I said rank, not total modifier. Charges replenish once every 6 seconds.
This allows players to have the good tumble option, be able to self-determine how much they want to be able to use it, and limit the 3rd charge to classes that get Tumble as a class feature, all while eliminating the Tumble spam problem.

Phaaze

Suggestion for Tumble changes:

rather than disable it entirely change it like this so it can still be used in combat effectively or as a speed boost but not so over the top silly.

Make it like Leap of Faith: "Uses of this ability recharge at a rate of one every 15 seconds in private areas, and 3 seconds in public areas. 5 charges."

active skill rather than passive and have additional skill points in tumble add charges 1% faster so if a player has 100 tumble that would give 100% faster charge generation making it recharge at a rate of 7.5 seconds in private areas and 1.5 seconds in public areas.

Nezyrex

Suggestion for Tumble changes:

rather than disable it entirely change it like this so it can still be used in combat effectively or as a speed boost but not so over the top silly.

Make it like Leap of Faith: "Uses of this ability recharge at a rate of one every 15 seconds in private areas, and 3 seconds in public areas. 5 charges."

active skill rather than passive and have additional skill points in tumble add charges 1% faster so if a player has 100 tumble that would give 100% faster charge generation making it recharge at a rate of 7.5 seconds in private areas and 1.5 seconds in public areas.
this is a great idea to me. 5 charges with a 15 sec cooldown would mean you usually wouldn't run out in combat, but absolutely cannot spam it for travel. Could also scale charges off of tumble skill, but honestly 5 flat seems fine.

-edit-
you wouldnt even need to add an internal cooldown between charges this way, hopefully that would make it simpler to code?

Hawk

• Experimental Tumble Controls have been disabled.

Why??? For the first time since the game's release, using tumble in combat actually feels useful (and fun.) If you take that away, it will be 100% pointless again.

Is there some big exploit I'm missing here? Just because you can move slightly faster?

Dodging when a melee mob comes storming towards you feels awesome. The old tumble was terrible because of the block pause, and actually made it MORE likely to get hit server-side (which is why basically NO ONE used tumble in the past.) I'd maybe be fine with a 0.5 to 1.0 second cooldown on tumble, as long as there is no pause with movement.

I personally don't see what the big deal is just leaving it how it is. This game is known for having specific game mechanics working for YEARS, and then suddenly nerfing them for no reason. What is the point of that? So that new players can be hindered after veteran players have made use of it for years of time already? It's too late at that point. Just leave it as part of the game, and accept it.

Shear-buckler

Why??? For the first time since the game's release, using tumble in combat actually feels useful (and fun.) If you take that away, it will be 100% pointless again.

Is there some big exploit I'm missing here? Just because you can move slightly faster?

Because it makes you move significantly faster for very little investment by doing a nonseniscal and obnoxious action. It's an aweful mechanic from a game design perspective and it was never intended to be used like that.

That for every single character you play you either spam the button to traverse by tumbling or you "tie one hand behind the back" and impose a heavy handicap on yourself almost akin to not using speed items is a big deal. It's not an interesting choice or mechanic and creates a huge separation between those who use it and those who don't.

That you call it "slightly faster" makes me think you have not really evaluated it.

Dodging when a melee mob comes storming towards you feels awesome. The old tumble was terrible because of the block pause, and actually made it MORE likely to get hit server-side (which is why basically NO ONE used tumble in the past.) I'd maybe be fine with a 0.5 to 1.0 second cooldown on tumble, as long as there is no pause with movement.

I agree.

I personally don't see what the big deal is just leaving it how it is. This game is known for having specific game mechanics working for YEARS, and then suddenly nerfing them for no reason. What is the point of that? So that new players can be hindered after veteran players have made use of it for years of time already? It's too late at that point. Just leave it as part of the game, and accept it.

The pause from tumbling was removed in update 60. This is a fairly quick reaction.

Last edited:
I agree it is useful but as it is now it has replaced the basic movement for many when it should be used for avoidance and repositioning in combat. I think they should keep it, as the old tumble is awful like you said, but make it usable when flagged for combat with a slight ICD to prevent spam.

Certain builds are skate around the dungeon fast with Experimental Tumble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.