Medium v Light?

Ratman

So I have experimented with Medium & Light Armor. The medium MRR boost is really something, and the AC & PRR is excellent. But what is actually more effective, light with a Dodge of 27% (more in reaper) or Medium with an always on MRR, PRR & slightly better AC? I lean toward staying Medium as that MRR goes up tremendously, but I can’t seem to nail down which one I get one shot less with in mid-high reaper (R5+). Any suggestions? AC is about 235 with Mage Armor SLA/Buffs. MRR 171ish (reaper). PRR about the same. Dodge is 4% building for medium but light is with 100 MRR (max). Trying for armor Reaper buff which would add 5% to AC. And get me near 250AC on a Sorc which I think is fairly solid. Any suggestions?

Elves United

Well as a sorceror you probably do not have the Reflex save to make Evasion worthwhile. So unless you went primal avatar and shadowdancer to get improved evasion that wouldn't be a factor. If you went large shield that should give a decent boost against reflex type spell damage. ( Legendary Alchemical Crafting can make a good spellcaster large shield ). But still I'd go with the light armor. This leaves you vulnerable to non-reflex spell damage which isn't that common and a good portion of the few enemies that do cast them hit you so hard that the additional MRR probably won't be enough. Weapon attacks are much more common and 27% dodge shouldn't be discounted.

CBDunk

Cloth if you have to
Light if you have evasion & good reflex saves, look for Max MRR increase options
Medium by default, look for Max Dodge/Dex increase and ASF reduction options
Heavy if you can get proficiency and ASF isn't an issue

Ratman

Well as a sorceror you probably do not have the Reflex save to make Evasion worthwhile. So unless you went primal avatar and shadowdancer to get improved evasion that wouldn't be a factor. If you went large shield that should give a decent boost against reflex type spell damage. ( Legendary Alchemical Crafting can make a good spellcaster large shield ). But still I'd go with the light armor. This leaves you vulnerable to non-reflex spell damage which isn't that common and a good portion of the few enemies that do cast them hit you so hard that the additional MRR probably won't be enough. Weapon attacks are much more common and 27% dodge shouldn't be discounted.
Reflex saves in the 70’s outside of reaper. Chose primal (secondary), exalted (tertiary) and Draconic (primary). I find the healing bursts are exceedingly useful, but I could be convinced to drop exalted (I did use Shadowdancer when running light, and improved evasion). This build has max destiny points as well as max racial/enhancement points.

Ratman

Also I should mention that burst of movement in the exalted core is EXTREMELY useful to get out of the way and especially in quick succession with the dragon flight mechanic.

Mand O'Lin

Singer of Songs Drinker of Drinks
Reflex saves in the 70’s outside of reaper. Chose primal (secondary), exalted (tertiary) and Draconic (primary). I find the healing bursts are exceedingly useful, but I could be convinced to drop exalted (I did use Shadowdancer when running light, and improved evasion). This build has max destiny points as well as max racial/enhancement points.
You can always raise the MRR cap with gear sets, filigrees, etc. It is, of course, always a balance between offense and defense.

Every single time I have tried using medium armor, I have always ended up going back to light with evasion. It just seems to be an approach which offers greater survivability.

I never liked the MRR cap on armor. I can definitely see having a PRR cap based on armor, but MRR makes no sense whatsoever. Why should cloth armor have unlimited PRR, but limited MRR? It's cloth! Ah well.

Ratman

You can always raise the MRR cap with gear sets, filigrees, etc. It is, of course, always a balance between offense and defense.

Every single time I have tried using medium armor, I have always ended up going back to light with evasion. It just seems to be an approach which offers greater survivability.

I never liked the MRR cap on armor. I can definitely see having a PRR cap based on armor, but MRR makes no sense whatsoever. Why should cloth armor have unlimited PRR, but limited MRR? It's cloth! Ah well.
I agree completely on that. I think spell builds should get no cap on MRR but have an PRR cap and Armor Builds should be the ones with the MRR cap & no PRR cap! Though for game purposes I admit that I don’t know if that severely blows up the effectiveness of what a tank Role is meant to accomplish, which is the reason I speculate they made it that way.

Mand O'Lin

I agree completely on that. I think spell builds should get no cap on MRR but have an PRR cap and Armor Builds should be the ones with the MRR cap & no PRR cap! Though for game purposes I admit that I don’t know if that severely blows up the effectiveness of what a tank Role is meant to accomplish, which is the reason I speculate they made it that way.
I can logically see why PRR would be limited in lighter armor... exactly how much Physical Resistance can a robe offer compared to plate armor? However, in my thinking MRR is mostly due to magical enhancements (either absorbing or deflecting harmful magics), and far less any sort of physical barrier. One might even argue metal armor should offer some sort of bonus to resisting druidic magic (both harmful and beneficial).

That said, I can certainly see your point. Why would a magician place any sort of serious magical (resistance) enhancements on armor they cannot use? It would only serve to allow a fighter type to get close to said magic user and attack.

l_remmie

I usually put some points in shadowdancer for the permanent shield, reflex saves and ddoor. A few more for evasion is often worth it too. Swapping for some light armor to get that evasion is quite nice in some quests.

Mand O'Lin

I usually put some points in shadowdancer for the permanent shield, reflex saves and ddoor. A few more for evasion is often worth it too. Swapping for some light armor to get that evasion is quite nice in some quests.
Ditto!
This makes me curious as to what the most commonly used ED is. I can certainly see it being Shadowdancer!