Underused Enemies

Eme

& the animation nerd in me would like to see Lord Harryhausen back in game

mbartol

Murder Hobo
There is certain truth to this as homogenisation where every quest feels the same is a risk. It does take away from the epicness and wow factor if there were rare mythical turboenemies in every quest, only scaled down.

In general though, uniqueness can be made by giving a base monster type unique features specific to that quest and something being super cool and unique in completely outdated content loses value, and having a similar enemy 15 levels later is perfectly fine as we get to 34 cap I reckon.

Gish is just a gnoll. He's super cool and quite unique though.
The unique variety of common foes has been done with the exploding Droam kobolds and acid-scar troglodytes. More of these quest-specific varieties would be welcome.

Aelonwy

We got a helpful Sphinx NPC in Feywild but I was expecting at least another "Answer my riddle or fight me Sphinx" there, after all the Fey are serious about their riddle games. It could even have been a rare in the wilderness with multiple different riddles. I really had high hopes for Feywild and quite a few were dashed most likely by the rush and the corporate purchase? that was happening behind the scenes.

At least some of it came about even if after or long after the release (Fatespinner in Wynwood Hall, Phantom Steed acquirable, Fey Weapon aura from saga.)

Eoin

Gingerbread golems! Could have a whole army of them. Bonus points if the are miniature. Even better if I they are on my side and we're fighting on a milk lake versus some stuff from Xoriat.

erethizon1

The first thing I would do is head over to the monster manual and see which monsters you still don't have monster expertise (the ability to see monster hit points) for. The #1 monster that comes to mind for me is the Warforged Titan. I run every quest once per life and sometimes wonder if I will ever see the hit points of this monster type.
  • Clay Golem (6 monsters): I'm not sure why these have received so little attention compared to other Golem variants. I'd also appreciate them showing up in a new location since they're currently a complete pain to farm for the Monster Manual.
This is the monster I most hope not to see more of. This is probably because they combine my two least-favorite features. They are healed by acid (which is a nightmare for the warlock I always play) and they cause permanent curses that prevent healing (the most annoying debuff in the game both because it prevents the most important thing a curse can impede and because it lasts forever so you cannot just wait it out). It already seems like clay golems are too common, but I acknowledge it is not because they are all that frequent but merely because I dislike them so much and remember them every time I have to encounter one.

The other factor that will have a big impact on people's answers is whether they skip tons of quests every life. I saw your response to the Illithid suggestion and agreed entirely. My first thought when I saw someone list Illithids is, "This must be one of those players that hasn't been to Restless Isles in many years." There are a number of monsters that are quite common in content that are regularly skipped by most of the player base. Like those awful clay golems in the Haunted Library, Made to Order, and the Ruins of Threnal. Those quests are often skipped by many players and it would make clay golems seem rarer than they really are.

erethizon1

We need more monsters that are unique to certain quests not less.
As long as they are part of a more common entry in the monster manual I am fine with that. I want to be able to see the hit points of every monster in the game so that is the main thing I dislike about uncommon monster types.

Thinking about my post before, I am changing my answer from Horned Devils to Helmed Horrors.
Horned Devils at least have a reason to be uncommon due to their rank in the devil legions. However, Helmed Horrors are surprisingly very infrequently encountered despite them being such interesting opponents.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Thinking about my post before, I am changing my answer from Horned Devils to Helmed Horrors.
Horned Devils at least have a reason to be uncommon due to their rank in the devil legions. However, Helmed Horrors are surprisingly very infrequently encountered despite them being such interesting opponents.
Probably a couple of reasons for this - so far they've only ever been used in Forgotten Realms stuff, and they're also a complete pain to fight if you rely on an elemental damage type that isn't Acid. That said, I can see a couple turning up in Myth Drannor.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
Greetings, individuals!
Seeing as how I have not seen a post like this yet, I want to know what enemies you think are underused in DDO?

In my opinion, I feel like there aren't enough horned devils encountered throughout the game. Aside from that one in devil assault, I find the rest of them fun to fight.
Wildmen!

Too soon?

Yeah, I've no hope for a career as a comedian haha

erethizon1

Probably a couple of reasons for this - so far they've only ever been used in Forgotten Realms stuff, and they're also a complete pain to fight if you rely on an elemental damage type that isn't Acid. That said, I can see a couple turning up in Myth Drannor.
Yes, being healed by force damage is quite annoying.

Buddha5440

Rats. It feels like half the quests don't have rats. I think we could do with having more rats.
*Waits for some DOOM-sayer to quip about the whole "...fleeing a sinking ship." idiom.*

Seriously though, maybe Bulette, Basilisk, Gorgon (We have a Gorgon pirate ship/crew and Gorgon armor but no Gorgons (must've all been killed for the armor)), or Roper. Oh, yeah...Centaur!

-Edit- Yes I know Medusae are Gorgons in mythology but they are not D&D's Gorgons (the bull type).

Last edited:

Enoach

While we have lots of bats and even vampires that disperse in a swarm of bats, we don't have a quest where a Bat is the boss fight or mini boss fight.

Ptalon

I'd like to see more monsters used in creative ways. Or the ways they are supposed to be used.
Will-O-Wisps are supposed to lure people to hazards (and feed on Fear I believe)
I think they missed the mark, not making Elmister's Messages in the Kings forest look exactly like Will-O-Wisps.

Invisible Stalkers.

Random Mimics (rare, but 1% chance or less from any chest.)(less I think, but let's have the chance for surprises.)(Heck, maximize the loot tables if you do get one as compensation.)

Phase Spiders without undead. (we do have that a couple times though.)

No Mephits! Ever again! Ever!

is there any way we can make Doppelgangers look exactly like player characters?

Underwater Storm Giants.

Cloud Giants on Cloud Islands.

(Random) Traps that drop Gelatinous Cubes in front and behind.

Outta time right now......at work. :(

Mordenkainen

Please SSG, no more nerfs. Thank you!
Still waiting on the reveal of Arboth actually being a dragon after all, but stuck in his shifted form with amnesia.
"Yark, yark! I am a big bad dragon. You will show me the proper respect or I will burn you to a crisp"

"Huh? You're not a dragon, you're just a crazy kobold."

"Fool! How dare you defy me. Be gone, or I will show you the power that a true dragon wields."

You laugh at the crazy kobold. "This should be good, give me a demonstration."

"Do not provoke me! My power knows no bounds. You would be wise to flee immediately."

You stand there chuckling at the Kobold. "Well, I'm waiting..."

The Kobold scrunches his face, staring intently at you as he tries really hard, "You will feel my destructive power... n... n... n... now?"

You hold back your laughter long enough to make out a sentence, "Sorry, nothing."

The Kobold sighs, "Bah, you are far too intelligent for me to continue this facade. How did you know I was not a real dragon?"

"Well it could be the fact that you are a kobold?"

"I will just have to accept my fate. I am doomed to be a lowly kobold for the rest of my poor existence."

would be cool if he somehow does get transformed into a epic dragon and you have to stop him from rampaging and taking out his vengeance on those who mocked him.

"I told you all I was a real dragon !"