Update 60.0.1 Release Notes

Blametroi

"Vistani
  • Kukris now function with this tree, with the exception of the core 12, which only gives +1 multiplier (this keeps them in parity crit-wise with daggers as they naturally have +1 threat range over them.)"
I was remarking to my static group this week how much I hate the way the rogue enhancement trees straightjacket you to certain weapons, massively restricting what is meant to be an uber-flexible rogue class. I've never got over this lol, and it does kinda mess with my mojo (as an old timey DnD player, my rogues typically used a rapier and shortsword, fafhrd and gray mouser style. In modern DnD parlance F & GM should be fighter rogues, I guess, but that wasn't always a thing back in T'day.). I don't *want* to multiclass and with rogue I really shouldn't have to, they have a great set of proficiencies built into the class, and I dislike very much the way the enhancement trees railroad you to specific weapon selections - I've always hated it, I said so verbosely on the forums at the time. If I wanted to be hog tied to a path I'd play WoW, basically. Many other enhancement trees are way more open.
***snip***
Fighter and Paladin get a wide array of weapon support in their trees. Heck, Bard doesn't have to put up with this drek. Why do you want Rogues so pigeonholed for their weapon selections? Why do you hate variety?*

Dang it: why can't my rogue just use rapiers and shortswords as Gygax clearly intended whilst he was busy basing a whole class off the works of Fritz Leiber?

*I know you don't hate variety. I'm being facetious. But you know what I mean guys - as a halfling rogue, if I want to assassinate someone with a throwing rock covered in jam then that really ought to be my perogative :)

I feel your pain, and I hate the Vistani dagger grip so I pretty much never use daggers or that tree.

I know it's not the same, but there's a twf dark hunter rapier build recently posted on the forums. My main (intending to be a rogue if she ever gets done with past lives) is running as a pure dark hunter and is having a blast with rapiers and short swords and daggers. Feels very roguish and other than missing evasion I'm not noticing real problems. There's a half-damage from traps enhancement that mitigates some of the missing evasion.