Update 66 Preview 1 - Tooltip Overhaul

Tonquin

of Lightning Hammer fame!
Hi all! I hope everyone's 2024 is treating them well! :)

For Update 66 we're embarking on a bit of a spring cleaning pass on how DDO generates tooltips. These changes should hopefully make looking at abilities a lot easier - less walls of text, more auto-generated info, all that good stuff. To that end, here's what's changing:
  • All action lines other than description are now in a bulleted list
  • There is now an empty space between the automatically generated stuff and the description
  • Duplicate information (such as the duplicate cooldown line when hovering over a spellBOOK entry or Spell information in enhancement tree tooltips) has been removed
  • Save information is now color coded (between fort, will, and reflex)
  • Spell Resistance information is now color coded and presented only if the SR check is active (aka you will see Spell Resistance! only if the ability needs it, and not Spell Resistance NO on everything that doesn't)
  • If you have material components eschewed via a character ability the spell now reports this on a per-slot-basis (because you can assign eschew on a per-slot basis) instead of just telling you that you don't have the materials
  • We no longer display an SP cost of 0 on abilities with no SP costs
  • HP costs of abilities are now reported in RED, and Ki costs are now reported in YELLOW
  • Abilities that are self-targeted toggles now say "Toggle Ability" instead of just "Target: Self" which, while technically true, isn't the most helpful information
  • Fixed bug where druid abilities reported wrong DCs
  • Fixed bug where certain projectile spells had the wrong DCs
  • Antirequisites now display in Enhancement Trees and Destiny Trees

With all that being said, if you spot an ability (feat, spell, or anything in an enhancement tree) where any of the automatically generated stuff is wrong, let us know! Furthermore, if you spot any ability where there's lingering text in the block of hand-written info (the bottom-most portion) that duplicates any of the autogenerated info, let us know so we can remove that extra text!

Thank you!

Last edited:

kentos9

Would it be possible to display caster level and max caster level in tooltips for spells? Currently there is no way in game to verify what is the max caster level at all, and for actual caster level of a spell you need to read combat log (and it only displays if it is somehow altered).

Ying

5000+ hours played
How much hate does this generate? (Dragon Lord Ravager)

tooltip1.png

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
For SLAs, I'd like some more of the nitty-gritty spell info in the enhancement tree tooltip. When deciding if I want to take a spell, I do want to know things like what it targets, and what school is belongs to. The Spell DC line feels important too not just because of the number but because it shows what type of save it hits against (which is now nicely colour coded).

A bit of a contrast issue: I'm finding it harder to read the blue and green text against uneven backgrounds. Not sure what a good solution for that could be; maybe decreasing the opacity of the hotbar tooltips altogether?

s4YQBSL.png
zToF6as.png

0kOrq9C.png
vXdDDXk.png

CBDunk

These various color codings should be included in the section of the UI settings which currently allows players to set their own colors for various things. That way, people with most forms of color-blindness should be able to find some combination that they can differentiate between.

LeoLionxxx

Lion of Orien
I have a request.
Would it be possible to show on mouse-over the ML of augments? I have to pull them out of the augment bag or bank now to see when I can use them.
Thanks ~
I'd be happy with them having Min levels displayed in the augment names, so you can actually search for them in the Shared back ingredient cache.

ex. "Topaz of Deathblock (LV 12)"
ex. "Sapphire of Dodge 65 (LV 8)"
ex. "The Finite Limits of Construction (LV 18)"

it would also help discover what augments you actually have, which I very much struggle with.

l_remmie

Love it. Never stop with QoL improvements. I care a lot more about streamlining and fixing ugly, bad and broken stuff than all new halfbroken content.

Solarpower

• you will see Spell Resistance! only if the ability needs it, and not Spell Resistance NO on everything that doesn't
Please, revert this one. It's easier to see the "Spell Resistance NO" than thinking whether this spell require SR chech or not, look it at the wiki and, maybe, if the stars would be in the right positions, remember about this change in the UI... o_O

2. Can you highlight the "Material component" line ? To make it easier to see whether the spell requires it.

3. There is a way to much RED in the tooltips. This colour is associated with prohibition and use to show something like "you need to spend 2 points more before taking this something". But now it's everywhere across the tooltips !

4. This looks awful and hard to read
XiDoVFP.jpg

5. Why do we have those in the tooltip for the skill in the hotbar ?
Xg3m6Pw.jpg

ShawnVW

I'd like to know when an attack spell requires no saving throw (like Magic Missile and Power Word Kill). I know that adding a line that says "Saving Throw: None" is the opposite of what you're doing by omitting "Spell Resistance: NO", but I think it would be good to have.