New weapons ideas

Jodro

Hello everyone,

I start this thread cause I'm wandering what weapons (casual that you can find anywhwere, not exclusive) and added characteristics you would like to be added in ddo.

I'll start with 3 weapons, big scythe (obviously), spear (not quarterstaff) and metal gauntlets (weapons like handwraps, not gloves spot), and a short description.

Well not much about scythe, two-handed, slashing, classic menacing weapon thats cool af (not very useful in real world).

Spear, piercing. That can have some interesting uses. I was thinking of a weapon that can be used as two-handed weapon (THF mastery) with nothing at the off-hand, or with shield applying shield mastery (not both at the same time, but you can switch). Would be even better with a subclass with a spear specified tree that gives bonus to one of those 2 options (for example an enhancment that gives you either a cleave attack if you use thf spear or a dash-bash-stab attack if you use shield and spear).

Metal gauntlets, bludgeon, two weapons fighting. Thats just because I like the idea of "unarmed" battle and believe there could be a fighter subclass that specializes in that. Obviously different animation than monk, more direct and less flashy and doesn't recieve all those unarmed bonuses the monk does (fewer or mainly enhancments). Takes the raise of attack speed like unarmed attacks do, although i don't really view it as "unarmed" attack.

Throw in more weapon ideas or advance others.

Putting it here and not in suggestions cause its just me wandering and doing a laid-back post, not suggesting.
Whoever likes those or future ideas is free to copy them there.

Last edited:

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
The gauntlets are probably a spin off of monk? To me it almost sounds like a Brawling gloves/ Adamantine Knuckles combo.

I think spears have been mentioned before that would be great if they could implement them (tridents too!) Sahuagin have them... why can't we?!? 👹

Ying

5000+ hours played
No thanks. Plenty of weapons already in the game that don't get the support they need in raids, feats and enhancement trees. Don't need three more weapon types to add to that list.

saekee

long live ROGUE
I suppose that there are a whole range of polearms that would make sense, such as a halberd. If I had to figure out how to do it in game, I’d probably just have a class treat qstaffs as piercing weapons with a different animation (bit of a copout but hey)

misterski

I suppose that there are a whole range of polearms that would make sense, such as a halberd. If I had to figure out how to do it in game, I’d probably just have a class treat qstaffs as piercing weapons with a different animation (bit of a copout but hey)
There are already a few quarterstaves that do piercing damage and are called spear. They still are considered bludgeoning weapons for feat purposes, though.

I dont Like gimps

"
No thanks. Plenty of weapons already in the game that don't get the support they need in raids, feats and enhancement trees. Don't need three more weapon types to add to that list.
we need a lv 32 Forest hookbrush :p but yeah Nobodys running idk light hammers and stuff lol
Throwing hammers cant be forgotten cuz that would require anyone know of em in the first place

droid327

I dont think new weapons are justified or realistic if you just want something that "looks cool". That's a whole lot of effort to create new animations for every race and sex combination, and code a buttload of new named weapons across all levels so that you actually have choices other than the "one of everything" weapons like Barovian and Keep.

I think a cool weapon that'd actually create new gameplay, though, would be 2H Flails, as an Exotic weapon. They'd have a slower attack animation than other 2H weapons, but each attack would hit 3 times, like Repeating Xbows. That'd create a viable general 2H Bludgeon option (Mauls are niche and Greatclubs are pointless). And it'd create new strategies, since it would put more emphasis on active attacks, since they get multiplied by 3, but you attack slower, so they're a bigger % of your rotation.

Flail-3-ball-93-p.jpg

Dragavon

New weapons would require them to make new animations for every race and sex of player characters in the game. That is a lot of work for very little, and in my opinion just a waste of time and money for SSG.

There are so many weapons already in game, we do not need any new weapons.

In addition to the above: glaives, halberds, pole axes, lances, javelins, claymore (the sword, not the mine), pickaxe (gives piercing and slashing damage), voulge, and bolas.

droid327

claymore (the sword, not the mine)

But also the mine lol

FRONT TOWARD MONSTER

Plus, claymores are already in game - we just call them bastard swords, but they're hand and a half. Unless you simply mean having a bsword in-game with a Claymore style design

Actually, claymores are two-handed swords much bigger than a bastard sword and somewhat bigger than a traditional two-handed sword. Most claymores have a total length near 6 feet and a blade length between 4 and 4.5 feet. Claymores in DDO could be 2d8 with the same critical threat range of a great sword or a great axe. Granted this is only slightly better than a great sword, so, the mine would be nice, also.

droid327

Actually, claymores are two-handed swords much bigger than a bastard sword and somewhat bigger than a traditional two-handed sword. Most claymores have a total length near 6 feet and a blade length between 4 and 4.5 feet. Claymores in DDO could be 2d8 with the same critical threat range of a great sword or a great axe. Granted this is only slightly better than a great sword, so, the mine would be nice, also.
If that's how you want to define them then I'd just make them regular g swords, but have them use those attack animations 10% slower but with 15% more hit distance (ie the same mechanic used in shadow dancer). That would give them a role beyond just their damage numbers.

There's precedent for things like sun blades to be a subset of a weapon type with unique properties. That's more likely than creating an entirely new weapon type. Same for spears as a subset of q staff with piercing and 18-20x2

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
Hmm. My concern with adding new weapons is that there's going to be no support for them with any of the pre-existing trees, and without a lot of extra revamp work to add bonuses in, a lot of these weapons are going to be totally overshadowed by pre-existing options...