Update 63 Preview 2: Deck of Many Curses

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelStar

Senior Systems Designer
Hello, everyone!

This preview has some changes to the Deck of Many Curses! Feel free to talk about those changes here.

There's also a new item in this preview, the Card of Curse Cleansing - Find more info and discuss that item here! (Please keep all discussion about curse removal/rerolling to that thread instead of this one.)

Here's a list of changes from last preview:
  • Cards now drop at expected rates in the four new Dungeons in this update.
  • Some deck effects that were not functioning in Preview 1 now do.
  • The following Curses have been removed: Major Intuition (-2 Minimum Level), Superior Augmentation (Extra Augment Slot), Curse of the Deckmaster (Set Bonus), Wealth (weight and plat value), Stone (weight and sink in water), and Minor Intuition (-1 Minimum Level).
  • The Curse of Divine Fortune now does both effects previously listed in its tooltip, though the Favored Weapon only works if the item is in fact a weapon.
  • The Curse of the Sentient's Meal (Sentient XP) now also increases the platinum value of the item by 100,000.
  • The Threat Increase has been removed from Curse of the Anger's Heart.
  • The Threat Decrease from the Curse of the Charming Presence.
  • The Curse of Weapon's Touch Strikethrough has been increased.
  • The rarity of some effects has been adjusted.
  • The list of supported item types that are not compatible with the Deck of Many Curses has been adjusted to include Cosmetics, Wands, Scrolls, Quivers, and Ammunition.
  • Some new effects have been added to the Deck.

Last edited:

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Superior Augmentation (Extra Augment Slot), Curse of the Deckmaster (Set Bonus)
Why? Those were universally beneficial and desirable.

The Curse of the Sentient's Meal (Sentient XP) now also increases the platinum value of the item by 100,000.
Is this because if used on a non-consumable item, the only way to make it has any meaning is selling the item?

SteelStar

Senior Systems Designer
Why? Those were universally beneficial and desirable.

Is this because if used on a non-consumable item, the only way to make it has any meaning is selling the item?
RE: The removed effects you listed: As we mentioned in Preview 1, there are technical issues preventing us from making those two work smoothly. They had the potential for you to lose other aspects of your existing item (which many correctly deemed a potential nerf), and those two in particular would not have played nicely with the highly-requested Card of Curse Cleansing. As we said in the notes, we're also adding some new effects to backfill them.

RE: Curse of the Sentient's Meal: We consolidated the former Curse of Wealth into Curse of the Sentient's Meal, because feedback showed people thought Curse of Wealth wasn't worth it on its own, and because you cannot crunch non-Named items for Sentient XP. By combining the two, there's an effect that works on almost all items this Curse can land on.

Fhrek

RE: The removed effects you listed: As we mentioned in Preview 1, there are technical issues preventing us from making those two work smoothly. They had the potential for you to lose other aspects of your existing item (which many correctly deemed a potential nerf), and those two in particular would not have played nicely with the highly-requested Card of Curse Cleansing. As we said in the notes, we're also adding some new effects to backfill them.

RE: Curse of the Sentient's Meal: We consolidated the former Curse of Wealth into Curse of the Sentient's Meal, because feedback showed people thought Curse of Wealth wasn't worth it on its own, and because you cannot crunch non-Named items for Sentient XP. By combining the two, there's an effect that works on almost all items this Curse can land on.
Gotcha! Thanks again for the reply!

Now this mechanic is getting goooood!

Rincewind

Can we plz remove curse of the butterfly or at least add another effect? maybe an action boost bonus to movement speed while falling or something? just feather falling is not good enough considering how easy is to just put the effect in an augment...
And I would love if it end up that way. that would make this a good augment.

Last edited:

Fhrek

Don't get me wrong, fun's fun, but it surprised me literally nobody mentioned this aspect of the system.
Thinking that in the near future the Cap will raise and the quests will get more and more demanding... the Power creep will be needed

Ahpuch

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and I know I'mma get flak for it, but is everyone perfectly fine with this system's blatantly obvious power creep? Don't get me wrong, fun's fun, but it surprised me literally nobody mentioned this aspect of the system.
It was mentioned a little in the last thread. If curses can be replaced then yes this will be power creep and likely tedious power creep due to RNG. But most people seemed OK with it and I gather that the power creep tread mill is a goal of this system from SSG's perspective.

axel15810

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and I know I'mma get flak for it, but is everyone perfectly fine with this system's blatantly obvious power creep? Don't get me wrong, fun's fun, but it surprised me literally nobody mentioned this aspect of the system.
I did mention it in the last preview's thread, and I'm definitely concerned about it. Especially since it's power creep not just at endgame but at every level in the game if they stick to any ML item being cursable. If you're going to be able to stick one effect onto every item in your heroic, epic and legendary gearsets that's a lot of power creep.

Rincewind

I did mention it in the last preview's thread, and I'm definitely concerned about it. Especially since it's power creep not just at endgame but at every level in the game if they stick to any ML item being cursable. If you're going to be able to stick one effect onto every item in your heroic, epic and legendary gearsets that's a lot of power creep.
and Is one of the reason why the curse cleaning should never be in the ddo store, if everything else remain the same.

Dandonk

This is not the title you're looking for
It sounds fun enough to me, but I am concerned that this system, combined with mythic and reaper bonuses, will make upgrading to new gear even less attractive. When I've gotten the old gear with all these bonuses on it, the new gear coming out is not going to be better (unless I take the time for yet another insane grind to get the same bonuses on the new gear) due to stat squish making all the stats nearly the same over a large level range.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

No I'm not. I agree with you. I'm just hoping that the increases will prove marginal in nature, but it is a concern. 👍

CBDunk

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, and I know I'mma get flak for it, but is everyone perfectly fine with this system's blatantly obvious power creep?

The level cap is in the process of going from 30 to 40. The 'power creep' ship has left port, unfurled sails, and passed over the horizon.

Nickodeamous

Hey all,

I just made 50 cursed items and I haven't seen anything yet that says, wow, my item is destroyed (also, thanks to the curse remover). This is starting to feel like a nice bonus, like when you get a monster manual and you're like "yes"!!

Couple of things I have noticed.
  • there are still 2 versions (that I can tell) of all curses. A lower and higher grade
  • Most are decent, except the skills (I see no value in adding +1 here or there) But, not you can remove these ones in favor of another RNG
  • I think you should make spell DCs universal, so instead of a +1 Enchant, a +1 evo, just have a +1 to all spell DCs. (or maybe there is one???)
  • Keep featherfall in there...you can eliminate an augment slot ;)
  • I rolled +6 Boost to strength on Action boost 3 times in 50 tries...this is light years better than the +6 augment that is being showcased. Is this a curse that has a version for all other ability scores??
  • tactical says "stunning blow"...does this encompass Stunning in general??
  • Most common I saw: Featherfall, Deathblock, +1 attack/Dmg\
  • Least common I saw: Melee Power, Doublestrike, ability scores (only rolled +1 Dex out of my 50 rolls)
  • Please consider adding Freedom of Movement!!
Hope this helps!
Nic

Edit: here is my list of 50 shuffles:

EffectCount
deathblock
3​
+6 Strength Boost
3​
Featherfall
3​
+1 attack and dmg
3​
10k sent
2​
+1 Pact Dice
2​
Fear immunity
2​
+2 MRR
2​
+2 tactical
2​
True Seeing
2​
+4 Spell Power
1​
+1 illution DCs
1​
3% rune arm
1​
+1 imbue
1​
+1 dex
1​
+1 Intel
1​
+1 enchantment
1​
+1 assasinate
1​
+1 heal
1​
+1% fire abs
1​
+2 search
1​
+2 assasinate
1​
+2% Doublestrike
1​
Immune item dmg
1​
+5 Melee Power
1​
Waterbreathing
1​
+1 evocation
1​
+2 heal
1​
+1 Fort Save
1​
+2 Intim
1​
+1 illusion
1​
+1 all ability scores
1​
+2 perform +1 Bard song
1​
+2 bluff
1​
+1 abjuration
1​
+2 Breath DC
1​
Grand Total
50​

Last edited:

CBDunk

• The Threat Increase has been removed from Curse of the Anger's Heart.
  • The Threat Decrease from the Curse of the Charming Presence.

Now that we have the ability to replace curses, do these really need to be removed?

• The list of supported item types that are not compatible with the Deck of Many Curses has been adjusted to include Cosmetics, Wands, Scrolls, Quivers, and Ammunition.

Doesn't appear to be an exhaustive list. I've confirmed that potions, augments, tools, tomes, and various others don't work. Need to find some gems, ingredients, and collectibles to test.

Hmmm... what happens if you curse the Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers?

• Some new effects have been added to the Deck.

Yay! I for one really don't care if there are some 'bad' results... so long as the curses / removers are not excessively rare I'll be happy building out an endgame set and revising it towards 'perfection' over time. If the curses are significantly more common than the removers then I'll use the excess on Cannith casting blanks to get some nice options there. Ergo, expand away. The more options the better.

CBDunk

Got one I hadn't seen before;
image.png

Thor

Looking for a New Love
Hey don't worraaayyy about it... we'll nerf ya next year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.