Update 63 Preview 2: Card of Curse Cleansing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelStar

Senior Systems Designer
Hello, everyone!

In this Preview, we're introducing a new item related to the Deck of Many Curses we previewed in Preview 1: The Card of Curse Cleansing!

This consumable item removes a Curse from the Deck of Many Curses from an item, which allows a Deck of Many Curses to be used on it again. With the launch of the Deck of Many Curses, this item will appear very rarely in any chest throughout the game.

In this Preview, Cards of Curse Cleansing can be found in the cabinet in the Test Dojo where you obtain the other Cards.

Please use this thread to discuss the Card of Curse Cleansing! (and if you'd like to talk about the Deck itself, check out that thread here.)

Last edited:

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
The Card of Curse Cleansing!

This consumable item removes a Curse from the Deck of Many Curses from an item, which allows a Deck of Many Curses to be used on it again. With the launch of the Deck of Many Curses, this item will appear very rarely in any chest throughout the game.
Nice! Thanks for listening for the community feedbacks!

Keep the good work! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Grunndi

Because this creates value for a player-to-player economy?
Is it unbound?

Very interesting that it can drop in "any chest throughout the game". Will it be only higher level chests or will I have to start checking junk loot chests again starting from korthos? Kinda making me think it'll be ioun stone/absorb scarab level rare.

Lotoc

Is the Cards of Curse Cleansing BtA, BtC, or tradable? I hope the last one :)
If it's going to drop potentially from all content I would hope so, otherwise it means taking up storage space for people uninterested in the content or in using decks with no way to exchange said cards to people who could actually use them.

Rincewind

I hope the chances to get one are better than chances to get tomes or the like... because we will want to erase bad decks often, very very often. and if the chance is too low and the only other possibility is the ddo store.. then my friends i would hate this system and would make me a step closer to stop supporting the game. Another story could be if the curse cleansing could get you a deck at the same time and allow players to override the previous cursed item with a new cursed by just cursing it again.

Aldbar DDO

we must have some consistent way to get a remover, not just RNG. I assume that it will be added to the DDO store but it should also be purchasable in game with some type of in game 'currency'.
if you make it purchasable with plat, you will be creating the biggest and best plat sinkhole in DDO. plat might suddenly be worth something...

axel15810

Hello, everyone!

In this Preview, we're introducing a new item related to the Deck of Many Curses we previewed in Preview 1: The Card of Curse Cleansing!

SSG, please add some way for players to directly farm for the cleansing item in game so there's a fair pay with your time vs. pay with your money mechanic here. I get you all have to make money to keep the lights on and that monetization is part of a free to play game like DDO and I assume the cleansing item will be in the DDO Store. However, the "rare chance to appear in any chest in the game" design has always really frustrated me when it comes to obtaining Jeweler's Toolkits and Sentient Toolkits in game, it just doesn't feel quite fair since you can't direct farm, and it's the same design here. It's why I so rarely respec my endgame gearsets and why I rarely switch up my builds. Now to change gearsets we're going to have to have not just a pile of sentient toolkits and jeweler's toolkits. But also a ton of curse cleansers, the amount depending on our RNG luck.

I think we should be able to direct farm for stuff like this, and the upcoming cleansing item. How about putting the cleansing item on a saga list, such as the Morgrave saga list? It'd even further incentivize people to buy the new expansion btw. Or instead of a rare chance to appear anywhere, how about adding them as a reasonable drop rate in specific chests? We're gonna need a huge amount of these things if the effect we get for each crafting attempt remains purely RNG.

Ying

5000+ hours played
card_of_curse_cleansing_tradeable.png

They are tradeable.

CBDunk

Unless the cleansing cards are going to be exceptionally rare, they obviate the need for removal of many of the 'potentially harmful' effects.

That is, with the cleansing cards I'd rather have the +/- threat effects restored. Sure, that means you could get one on a build where you don't want it, but then you can also remove it. Even the stone effect potentially has some uses,

Basically, the ability to remove unwanted curses makes them much less of a problem. It would be nice if the system could be expanded over time to include a vast array of wacky options.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Help keep the lights on. Should be a £$ sink not worthless plat or in game currency. Just add them to the store too please. Rare RNG won't cut it alone.

Need to be set at a high enough points value commensurate with their in game rarity or folks will use them for AS "purchases".

Lotoc

So, this curse deck thing is now basically universal random augment.
The original idea of permanent stain on item was much better.
You rolled junk? Well, it's a game.
You want constantly win? Play DDOBuilder.
I mean the difficulty in getting an effect should be farming the deck itself.
Not throwing away 10s or hundreds of the same item trying to get what you want on it.

Cordovan

Community Manager
The intention is that acquiring the decks will be relatively quick, and starting to get the benefits of the system will also be relatively easy. Fully optimizing all of your gear sets is not intended to be easy nor shortcut significantly with something like the card of cleansing; rather, the card will give you an opportunity to get another chance for a particularly high-value item that you really want to replace the deck effect on.

Status
Not open for further replies.