Year of the Dragon NPC Temporarily Disabled

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
The customer is not always right, if some customers leave there are more coming in the door. It is often a risk/benefit ratio or cost of failure vs. cost of success. If you plan for failure any success is a win (other than for Boeing). >^*^<
I kinda agree??? Once upon a time when I worked in retail there was a saying that "The customer isn't always right, but they're always the customer". As a business you want to retain customer base as much as you can. Sometimes that means placating the customer even when they're not right (that holds true in other types of relationships as well!)
I think this year SSG has done some things that are a good step in the right direction and I hope that continues. The outages, lag, and buggy releases are the things that they really need to get a grip on and I think that would go a long way in mitigating some of the animosity the player base has. I won't even go into their pricing for things as that's a big sore spot for me. 🤑

Dementedleo1974

I'm not gonna quote or say anything from others.. I just stated that we as a group can help them if they allow. Most of the older player base is and has been a loyal supporter and customer for many years. I may be new and not have seen as much as ya all, but I love the game very much, just in learning phase and want this game to be the best it could ever be. I just wish and pleed that they would ask for help and retain the experience that you alll have.. The homebrew work arounds, the creations and ability that the community has done to improve alot of basic functions. I love how the peeps have redone UI. I believe that the people that have been here since before it was DDO can make the diffence in helping to fix things, but only if the people in charge would not be so anal and actually listen, learn and adapt.
Do you remember the first launch of FFXIV, GW, Conan, EQ, EQ2, hell I could name alot. They survived by taking help from the people that stayed and purchased everything... That is majority of this game, years and years of loyal people willing to help and make something more... hell some actually work in software areas, or know how to help. If I coud I would sponser for a back up server or private server just for testing before your live launches. If I was in city, I would lease us a center just for it.

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I'm not gonna quote or say anything from others.. I just stated that we as a group can help them if they allow. Most of the older player base is and has been a loyal supporter and customer for many years. I may be new and not have seen as much as ya all, but I love the game very much, just in learning phase and want this game to be the best it could ever be. I just wish and pleed that they would ask for help and retain the experience that you alll have..
SSG is doing exactly this in the form of the DDO Players Council: https://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Players_Council
https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-players-council :)

Last edited:

Owlbear

And this is exactly why the monthly claim system for the new VIP Loyalty program will be a pain in the ass! People will going to be missing out of monthly rewards because of situations like this.

ACJ97F

You can't really blame SSG, they've been trying really hard to make eveything consistent, but unfortunately once in awhile they have
a patch that actually works. Luckily they figured out what they did right, and fixed it, so we can now enjoy our usual DDO experience. :whistle:

Lacci

why don't you plan for failure (or 'escapes' as the ex-CEO of Boeing called them). That way, if anything succeeds you will be pleasantly surprised.
I do that, I plan for failure by not spending money anymore. If they fail, it´s no loss for me, if they succeed, it will be free.
Works pretty well for me, but I´d question if it´s really a good idea to run a business like that...

Br4d

Recommendations on how to better use Lammannia to help the release process have been made in the past. SSG is not interested. I assume they like the chaos.

I think it's staffing more than anything else.

QA is not a part-time thing. If you try to do QA with non-dedicated personnel you wind up with a half-baked pie because those people have other responsibilities also and they're listed as primary in the job description.

I learned this a long time ago at a Fortune 500 company when I was running rollouts of equipment and software across the company.

If I did the QA process the management side was deprived of resources.

If I assigned a rollout tech to do the QA the rollout itself was impacted.

The answer was a dedicated QA guy who *might* be used for other things when no rollout was pending. That got us a 100% staffed QA process that went by the numbers on every build.

Volarr

Devs have, repeatedly, called Lamania the 'Preview' server, not the 'test' server. When it hits Lamania they are pretty much done with any changes.
So on the preview server was there 100 to 200 peeps trying at the same time to get a useless pot no one wants?

Phoenicis

Savage's Husband
So on the preview server was there 100 to 200 peeps trying at the same time to get a useless pot no one wants?
I would guess probably not, but then the issue seems to be the dragon offering packs procured from the DDO store instead of recognizing those were already owned...

Aelonwy

I'm pretty sure the YotD gift giver was never on Lamannia, let alone testing giving the ex-pack gift by itself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the last Lamannia I remember was mainly testing ED changes and the free quests that just dropped.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I'm pretty sure the YotD gift giver was never on Lamannia, let alone testing giving the ex-pack gift by itself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the last Lamannia I remember was mainly testing ED changes and the free quests that just dropped.
I never saw that stuff on lam.

Br4d

I logged in my main alt account a couple of days ago and got IoD because it was the most interesting pack listed as available. I also walked over to the other NPC and claimed the two previous rewards.

Then I logged in the second alt account and got refused with the familiar message. Literally 2 minutes between the events.

Then I realized it is possible the main alt account already had IoD. I checked in the store before making the selection and it was available so I took it.

I've stayed off all the alt accounts since then. I'll double-check when the NPC is working again and do a real search on the main alt account to see if IoD was already enabled on that account. I think it's 50/50 or so because I often spend on the main alt account to have the Bard available for my main.

no, this is a software development / customer service failure. And it's the same failure that we see OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Patience is a reasonable request when this happens once in a while. But they release updates with "oops we had to disable it because it doesn't work" at a ridiculous frequency.
the game is 18 years old
that will happen, just another sign of the game's age that years of spaghetti code will cause this

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
Not much of a conspiracy theorist, but sure is suspect the dragon breaks when giving away the Xpacks. LoL Does this shorten the window we can acquire our Xpack or does it fudge up the YoD calender schedule???