Year of the Dragon NPC Temporarily Disabled

Yvonne Blacksword

Deliverer of Quirk
when you hire a contractor to do work inside your house, in California, you expect to pay them upfront, them to get 1/2 way through the tear out, disappear for a month, then go out of business and start a new business under a new name.
I got jokes?

Shardrena

When you hire QA testers for software, you expect them to do everything they or the software engineers could think of to break things, then end up realizing that the general public may well come up with things that none of the QA testers or software engineers thought of. Even an open beta isn't going to find everything. You'll have some people in the open beta actively trying to break things, and likely duplicating what the QA testers already tried. You'll have others who just use the software normally without trying to break anything. They'll only find bugs which are obvious and easily triggered via normal usage. There may be a few who end up doing weird things. Things that make you wonder "why would anyone think to do that?"

And then in MMOs, there are bugs which only crop up one live servers because the bug is caused by a combination of server load and bugs in the code. Or because with a much larger number of people interacting with the code, there's more people doing bizarre things which cause the bugs to be discovered.

For a non-MMO example, Skyrim is well known for being a buggy mess with easy to trigger exploits such as item duplication and infinitely stacking enchanting/alchemy buff loops. Yet here's the thing, in the course of normal game play none of those easy to trigger exploits are likely to crop up unless you know about them, and actively try to use them. You can get Stealth to 100 in the tutorial via exploiting a specific NPC and mechanics. But that'll never happen unless you go out of your way to do so.

EDIT:
It always feels weird to me when I end up preaching patience and recognizing that MMO updates come bundled with bugs being a fact of life. I mean, I use to be one of the people who'd post angrily about down time and bugs.

Last edited:

Ykty

I'm well aware of this. I've never argued against planning for failure, I've said you shouldn't be content with failure. Those are two very different things.
Who are you arguing with? No one said they should be content with failure. Are you fighting strawmen or what?

Ladnarud

There is an issue with the way the NPC is filtering displayed results based on what expansions you own. We are working to correct this issue as quickly as possible.
It's been four days without any update on when this will be fixed. Will it be days more? Weeks? If I go on vacation for the last week of May and can't play for one week, will I miss the free DLC entirely?

DDO Gaming

It's been four days without any update on when this will be fixed. Will it be days more? Weeks? If I go on vacation for the last week of May and can't play for one week, will I miss the free DLC entirely?
By now I am willing to bet the devs have suddenly realized the code cannot support the intended functionality and are trying to workout how to proceed.

To SSG: its not a problem if you withdraw the free giveaway and offer that freeddo code instead.

Moltivisto

Now I'm actually thankful for the fact that I remember what expansions I have on my account. I managed to log in the day that the update happened and did think that it was weird that there was the full list of packs to choose from. But I already knew which one I wanted so it wasn't a problem for me. However... my partner that I play with wasn't so quick on the ball, now we're just waiting for something to happen so they can get their pack as well.
SSG, please figure this out soon... or at least give us another update as to what is going on in those spaced out brains of the hamsters...

Shardrena

The Expansions are (in order of release, to my knowledge)
Menace of the Underdark
Shadowfell Conspiricy
Mists of Ravenloft
Masterminds of Sharn
Fables of the Feywild
Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Isle of Dread
Vecna Unleashed

Expansions typically introduce new a new class, maybe a new race, a new exploration area, 2 or more quest chains telling a coherent (usually) storyline, and a raid. They also tend to coincide with level cap increases. If you buy them for money on the marketplace, you get the full expansion. Buying them in the DDO store does not provide any races, classes, epic destinies, and so forth the full expansion provides. It just provides the quests and exploration area.

Aelonwy

So which packs are not part of VIP? I think one is Shadowfell Conspiracy?
Your confusion about this one is normal. Shadowfell Conspiracy sometimes referred to as Shadowfail was a mini-expansion before they began using the term. Its two adventure packs with a wilderness zone each. That is it. No raid. What made that an expansion? Well they did increase the level cap from 25 to 28, and they introduced Iconics. Not just one either but four at once. I still disagree with some of their choices for Iconics (or the word choice itself,) however, Iconics have added significantly to the play variety and experience of the game.

Buddha5440

-snip-

EDIT:
It always feels weird to me when I end up preaching patience and recognizing that MMO updates come bundled with bugs being a fact of life. I mean, I use to be one of the people who'd post angrily about down time and bugs.
I often get that same feeling. It's almost like experience grants you wisdom... What a concept. :)

cursedblessedone

Trigger Me Elmo
goblin-playing-guitar_855892-1578.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ