Questions about Knights Challenge and Throw the Boom

mikarddo

Knight's Challenge: Throw a spiritual version of your Shield at a single target for 1d20 Law Damage per Character Level, scaling with 200% Melee Power. Creatures struck by the shield reset their hate and are compelled to target you for 8 seconds. Requires a shield equipped to activate. Cooldown: 20 seconds.

Throw the Boom: AoE version of Knight's Challenge. Targets in a small area around the target must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC: 20 + Highest Ability mod + Stun DCs) or be Stunned for 4 seconds. Shares a cooldown with Knight's Challenge.

a) Does Throw the Boom also compel the main target (or all targets) to attack me for 8 seconds, or do I need to use Knight's Challenge for that effect?

b) How large is the "small area" effect for Throw the Boom? Smaller or larger than the area than intimidate works on?>

It looks like the new split-off AOE version of Knight's Challenge is indeed not set up to allow movement. This has been fixed for an upcoming patch. Thank you!

c) This was posted Feb 29th, so it is a bit old - but looking through the past notes since then I dont see it in any of those. Has this been fixed in game?

droid327

Vanguard needs a damage-only shield throw ability. Single target T2, chain hit in T5, does a shield bash plus some extra damage, 8 sec cd

I want a capt America build :D

Graceana

Stealer of Souls
It was much better before has targeting issues now. Why do we keep messing with stuff that worked just fine.

Because the functionality of being able to choose AOE or single target is really fantastic for gameplay. I'm playing our guild tank right now, and it's something I wanted for awhile and appreciate.

mikarddo

Because the functionality of being able to choose AOE or single target is really fantastic for gameplay. I'm playing our guild tank right now, and it's something I wanted for awhile and appreciate.

Do you experience the issue with the AoE version not working if moving?

songswrath

was not needed at all
Do you experience the issue with the AoE version not working if moving?
they both dont work at all at time or dry fire when do. it was fine as it was if you cant take the arggo of every thign your not a tank . you are a beefy melee with poor dps. i really do hate this change

BiggerTrolls

was not needed at all

they both dont work at all at time or dry fire when do. it was fine as it was if you cant take the arggo of every thign your not a tank . you are a beefy melee with poor dps. i really do hate this change
Me too. I did a few non shield tank builds and I still hate it. Goofy change. They ruined an accurate tooltip/ability for goofball novelty. I hate the change, and it works poorly now!

Dvinesword

I can kind of understand the desire for a single target effect. I have no problem with that. what I do have a problem with is the fact that it no longer works consistantly. Before the change I could be sure that if I threw the boom I would pull a mobs aggro and I would have it for at least 8 seconds. Now I can often expect to throw the boom and have the mob ignore it. I and many of the other tanks in my raids groups have demonstrated time after time that since the change you will throw the boom, watch it hit and have the mob ignore it.

This first came to my attention the first time I tanked Dryad after the change. I was alone in the center with hawthorne and the unicorns. I had one of the unicorns teleport and head to Hawthorne. I used throw the boom hit the unicorn in question and it stayed on Hawthorne like I had done nothing. I had to drag the other unicorns close enough to use intimidate and then drag all 3 away.

I started to get reports from the other tanks that similar things were happen to them in Dryad and other raids.

This is very problematic. Add this in with the fact that the only real way to be sure to hold the hate is be on the intimidate button every 6 seconds and if you are late you can expect the mob to switch hate. Also since they changed the AI pathing so they drop hate after a short time so the mobs dont follow you forever has made kiting problematic. The shadows in KT will just decide to stop following the kiter and head for the group even when the kiter id using intimidate and the rest of the party has not interacted with them.

All of this has made tanking in raids even more difficult and frustrating. I run scheduled raid nights twice a week for 6+ hours a night we normally have have 2 full raid groups and sometimes 3. So we have a lot of anecdotal evidence of this as well as some solid videos of the issues happening.

mikarddo

Thank you for the that reply. Just to be certain - is Throw the Boom intended to fix aggro for the full 8 seconds on every mobs it hits / just the main target it hits / or not at all? The single target effect mentions the 8 sec of full agree - but the AoE does not.

Bowserkoopa

King of the Koopa's
Thank you for the that reply. Just to be certain - is Throw the Boom intended to fix aggro for the full 8 seconds on every mobs it hits / just the main target it hits / or not at all? The single target effect mentions the 8 sec of full agree - but the AoE does not.
Yes throw the boom effectively intimidates everything it hits. I for one am still happy for this change as it makes it so where I can take throw the boom without losing access to knight's challenge.

Mindos

CHAOTIC EVIL
Also since they changed the AI pathing so they drop hate after a short time so the mobs dont follow you forever has made kiting problematic. The shadows in KT will just decide to stop following the kiter and head for the group even when the kiter id using intimidate and the rest of the party has not interacted with them.
How long is a short time before they drop hate?

songswrath

Yes throw the boom effectively intimidates everything it hits. I for one am still happy for this change as it makes it so where I can take throw the boom without losing access to knight's challenge.
You have to take one to get the other. And both are crap now was great how it was. This is the worst change they done yet. Needs to go back the way it was

Dvinesword

Well I am giving them the benfit of the doubt that they did not intend to change throw the boom's effect from the original so yes it is supposed to change hate for a minimum of 8 seconds. If this is no longer true then the messed up the skill even more.

Bowserkoopa

King of the Koopa's
You have to take one to get the other. And both are crap now was great how it was. This is the worst change they done yet. Needs to go back the way it was
I mean having two abilities is better than one. Also the bugs are scheduled to be fixed tomorrow.