What's wrong with Arcane Tempest (spell)?

lppmor

Probably around 40% of all my casts of Arcane Tempest, the cloud either simply do not appear, or do appear in another location (other than my mouse pointer).

Is this specific spell really bugged sometimes for you guys? Is there any trick to use this reliably?
Weird thing is I never had any issues casting similar spells, such as Wall of Fire.

Fhrek

One Badge of Honor achieved
Arcane Tempest, the cloud either simply do not appear
It could happens when failed on a Concentration check.
do appear in another location
Yes, that is bug as hell. Usually I cast AT see where it spawn and kite the mobs to it then put a Evard to keep the mobs at the cloud.
Is there any trick to use this reliably?
A concentration item or augment could help.

Zaszgul

Certain types of summoned objects have this bug, Dimension door is another.

If they collide with some other object (wall, furniture, maybe twigs based on their patch notes re: projectiles) unpredictable things occur.

An easy place to see this with Dim Door is in Haywire's Foundry, west wing right at the lever where the path is very narrow; casting dim door here will "squeeze" the door through the wire wall where you can't access it, because the dim door object is wider than the pathway. (This is fairly new behavior, in the past they would just collide safely/overlap and the dim door would be partly through the wire wall instead of totally displaced).

lppmor

It could happens when failed on a Concentration check.
That's not the case for sure, because I'm using Quicken.
I think what's is happening is: the cloud spawns in a spot so awkward that I can't even see it. lol

Zaszgul

Another place to see this (with Arcane Tempest) is in Spies in the House, at the necromancer's area (with all the furniture).

The spell's object either can't occupy the same space as the furniture, or the ceiling is too low to accommodate the full height of the cloud, so it will do weird things. Sometimes I think it clips through the floor or ceiling entirely where you can't see any of its gfx.

Even when you can see some of the purple particles, they don't seem to collide with mob's hitboxes properly, resulting in no damage at all.

RobShow

Probably around 40% of all my casts of Arcane Tempest, the cloud either simply do not appear, or do appear in another location (other than my mouse pointer).

Is this specific spell really bugged sometimes for you guys? Is there any trick to use this reliably?
Weird thing is I never had any issues casting similar spells, such as Wall of Fire.
Is there any trick to use this reliably? Quicken FEAT

Dragnilar

Dragonborn of Bahamut
Evards Tentacles targeting is also wonky.
Noticed this too as I did a Warlock PL last week.

With Evaed and Tempest being used simultaneously, I was seeing both bug out on occasion, even with hard locking. It seemed like a mixture of what @Zaszgul described or lag causing spells to dry fire.

What's weird is that I'd also have instances where the spell sfx wouldn't play but I could see a monster took damage from it in the combat log or by evidence of their dead body.

PersonMan

The only way to have it reliably cast is to hard target before casting (until that target mach10s behind you or something else and it fails due to not facing/blocked)

seph1roth5

I haven't had too much trouble with AT, though I really only use it on my warlock. I'd suggest manually aiming with your mouse though, that's how I aim otto's sphere and it's waaaaay more likely to go where I want it that way.

Smokewolf

I've had no issues with Arcane Tempest (AT)... Could be that I group up my targets by charming one, then applying mass hold and AT to the resulting group. With all spells being centered off the charmed mob. Once charm breaks, the mob usually dies from AT as it's hitpoints were already low from being my agro puppet.

Last edited:

HoopleHead

That's not the case for sure, because I'm using Quicken.
Quicken does not protect you from a failed Concentration check.. not any more.. it's SUPPOSED to.. but that changed a few updates back.. not exactly certain when the little red 'cast failed' started popping up

Also.. if you enable the spells individually for Quicken, it has a nasty habit of ignoring that spell intermittently.. so only use the feat toggle on your hotbar.. don't mess with the spells individually

Last edited:

Tonquin

of Lightning Hammer fame!
Quicken does not protect you from a failed Concentration check.. not any more.. it's SUPPOSED to.. but that changed a few updates back.. not exactly certain when the little red 'cast failed' started popping up

Also.. if you enable the spells individually for Quicken, it has a nasty habit of ignoring that spell intermittently.. so only use the feat toggle on your hotbar.. don't mess with the spells individually
The "Cast Failed" notification is for failing a Concentration Check and was a visual addition to the game circa roughly Update 53 or so, and not one that corresponded to any change in Quicken behavior. We did make Concentration 10x as lenient relatively recently (aka in Update 42) but also that had nothing to do with Quicken's behavior.

If you're noticing Quicken no longer preventing being interrupted, please let us know, as that would be a bug!

DilemmaEnder

Thelanis Player
I use Arcane Tempest in nearly every encounter (it has a 20s cool down) and the only problem I notice with it is the same as other spells, occasional lag dry fire.

It must be said though that I use this spell almost exclusively when aiming it directly at my own feet so it surrounds me as I melee from inside is with my Eldritch Knight.

This means that I have had success with it while casting it from "Driving Mode" or self targeting. I would suggest, as others have, that you try to hard target something before you cast. That may help with your problem quite a bit. Many spells seem to suffer from soft targetting issues (looking at you Acid Well & Meteor Swarm)!

Tesrali (sam-u-r-eye)

Try turning off quicken. Some spells are coded to fail with it on.