Vish back for a moment, whats new?

Vish

hey folks, back after a couple years
maybe not back just looking around
after a tour of other mmos, ddo still has legs
im wondering whats new in a couple years? i see level 32?
could be worth a spin to see the newer content.
my old discord doesnt have any traffic on it, but high lords are still going
last i was a bard, Kil Song
at update 50, when they nerfed the game in half, i said enough
so hows the raid scene, everyone doing r1s now?
power creep and new bis?
let me know if its worth a spin

maybe ill write some poems

Kil
Sarlona

Kessaran

Game is same old same old still. Powercreep is becoming a bigger thing, so more people are pushing higher difficulty raids, although r1 raids still don't seem to be the norm. New expansions are decent (IOD/Vecna) although replayability of the quests might be left to personal interpretation. I personally don't like either one of them. The raids are awesome though. Lots of balance changes in the last couple years, definitely seems like most(again, subjective) are not very well received but you get what you get. Game is still dominated by casters in leveling and melee's in endgame so that hasn't really changed at all.

owl

We are going to start up easily distracted raids on Monday and Friday at 7pm EST next week, it would be great to see you again.

PurpleSerpent

Monster Hunter of Moderate Renown
You've certainly picked your time to come back! You've just missed another round of nerfs, most of which you'll never really understand because they mostly affected stuff that happened while you were away.

Here's a quick shortlist, then:
  • The Update 50 Legendary nerfs and the Update 51 Epic Destiny revamp were both nowhere near as bad as we initially worried they were going to be - DDO felt a bit different, but it still worked about as well. (Destinies now work more like standard trees - you get points in them as you level, and you can have up to three at once now.)
  • A lot of formerly paid classes and races - anything in the 5E Player's Handbook - became free with Update 53.
  • The latest full-size expansion, Isle of Dread, came out in Update 55, along with an increase in the level cap. A lot of the current meta endgame loot comes from there.
  • Update 56 made some major changes to The Temple of Elemental Evil, for better and for worse - each elemental node is its own quest now, which provided a bit divisive in the long run. Also, it's Legendary content now.
  • Update 56 also included three new sub-classes called Archetypes, which count as their own class for most things - they get their own unique selections of enhancement trees and abilities.
  • Update 57 included another adventure pack called Grip of the Hidden Hand, which carried on from Peril of the Planar Eyes and served to set up the most recent mini-expansion (more on that later.)
  • Update 58 had three more archetypes, Update 59 added Legendary levels to the Droaam quests.
  • Update 60 added a thirteenth Epic Destiny, Machrotechnic. Unlike the rest of the destinies, this one is part of...
  • Vecna Unleashed, the most recent paid content, which launched with Update 61 and wrapped up the Vecna storyline.
  • Update 63 introduced a short in-game event called Illithid Invasion, which, for ten days or so, added special Champions to quests, and tasked players with tracking down and slaying hidden Illithids. (The format is due to return in a second event some time this summer, although we've been promised changes on some of the stuff that didn't work so well with the first event.) That event is finished now, but we did unlock four free Legendary quests by completing it.
  • Update 64 added a Legendary option to the Chronoscope. It hasn't really taken off.
  • And that more or less brings us up to Update 66, which kicks off a new event called Year of the Dragon which basically boils down to twelve month-long giveaways.
U66 also included a fairly heavy rebalance of the Epic Destinies from U51. Some of the changes have been generally well-received, some... less so. I'll let other people tell you about it.

It's worth noting that some of the changes made in Update 66 have caused some issues with server framerate and SLA casting, which are due to be fixed by next Wednesday at the latest (hopefully before that, since the hotfix initially planned for today seems to have been delayed.)

Also, Tumble's been changed quite significantly with U66 - it's now much better at its primary job of getting you out of the way of attacks, but on the downside there are now limits to how often you can do it, so you can't just roll around any more. Hopefully that's not a dealbreaker.

(And yes, ladders are still bugged, but at this point it wouldn't be DDO if they worked, would it?)

Coffey

Hey Vish good to see you here and i hope you stay even if it is only for a little while.

Even with all the changes you will be able to find something fun to play.

Fisto Mk I

Oh, so you think U50 was huge nerf? Man, i have some very bad news about U66 for you then...
lE2E7Ff.png

Vish

nerfs and lag.
you know, no other game has lag besides ddo
its got to be some client server optimization
forever the problem
ill watch discord for activity
funny how i didnt mention names ;)

Reactions: DBZ

Vish

ok so this has been 2 weeks?
my first night back i couldnt get a VIP, to do some raiding withtthe group
i had to fing enter numbers 3 or 4 times, on a non cursor field
thenit was because my old card wasnt deleted,
found that out the next day. wheni could sub.
but did get 2 raids in , killing time and hunt?
hunt lagged out in the middle as rand was explaining it to me, and i was dead
we finished it. wowo i havent been to ddo in 2.5 years
been playijng wow recently, ddo has no addons. no hit points on mobs, just a skinny bar
so then group broke. end of that night
friday i was logged in, had bought IOD for ddo points and bought standard vecna for 17
so i thought i was ready
but something happened i logged out,
and couldnt log back in
ythis went on for 15 MINUTES
rand said, oh yeah, i had to try 11 times to log in
i said WT^F
you guys pass this as normal???
my god. there is NO LAG IN OTHER GAMES
and when login servers go down ther eis an alert
so anyways i couldnt even log back in to play nad i said another night
i swear if new ppl find this the course, this is completely unacceptable
frustration and quit.
we raided again on monday and i slept through it, i wasnt finding it something to look foirward to do

so that much is a total turnoff. i went and played WOW that night.

next friday is next chance. i took a vip sub for a month to look again.
so far its nerfs and lag. nothing changed.

enuf for this post. i have a better one for when i ran some quests yesterday.

Kil sarlona

pame12

People forgot to mention how the accidentally came up with a really nice mechanic to tumble spamming, and then nerfed it after a couple months, a real shame.

Vish

ok so this has been a better last week or so
after i had the abominable raid showing,
i ran some basic r1 IOD quest intro and first one with a person named Germzz. and that restored my faith in the game as a great instnace quest game. i didnt knwo what i was doing much so fresh again, but i kinda gotr my bearings and saw i could solo r1.
so didnt play much for a few days and when i came back i got into some r4 fey and Sharn quests. again it told me i could solo r4. so i was on a max u50 build. and ive leveled to 32. so they didnt power creep too much, and the 2 extra levels dont do much except for destiny points. so i seem competitve where i was.
so yesterday and today i ran some r10. with some old names, and it was pretty fair. did they unnerf the self heal modifier? im playing bard and i have dps, heals and cc. so far they all work pretyy good?
looks like ive got to farm iod and vecna, should be a quest for a while. got some new builds to look at maybe. added 2 new races but i was never racial completionist, both dex anyhow.
made 100 reaper points.
now to work on that uber 3 tree build, lolz.
but back in the saddle of ddo. ran a fire over morgrave this morning. balors look cool. im a bard, everybody love bard songs.
now im thinking of breaking still, but ddo is an old game. and it was sitting ther for me wheni came back. but MYTH DRANNOR and level 35 woiuld be a better point. have to farm all that stuff over again and rebuild.
but i did always want racial completionist. but ottos at $50 is no way. so itd be months to farm those builds. dont know if it would teach me anything.
i saw they did a rework of the bank. somewhat. i was daunted when i looked at all the items i had in reincarnationa nd shared bank. piles of stuff. and then i remembered why i dint like to tr. so much work. they really need a house with one gaint tabbed out inventory system whith search and all.
LAG. i have notice glitched moments. and one thing i realized. DDO is a drab looking world. it seems it needs shades of better lighting. i do get some lag but hasnt caused any deaths yet.

so ddo is basically where i left off. seems the power progression has been lateral, but that still makes for a new tetris. right now im sticking with what i got gonna do all the vecan stuff and farm for a while. bard seems fine for me right now. somebody told me stormbringer but i dont need more elements. so i had a great day today, playing support to r10. got some loot. got some runes. got shown the new quests. cool enuf.

Kil song, sarlona