Range Build

majorhavoc

Looking for an effective end-game range build for PUG raiding, have +8 Supreme Tome, no PLs but access to everything.
This is my primary crafter getting close to 400 crafting, so will need all the crafting bonuses, like DM of Making
Looking for suggestions, go to Inquis or Repater.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
WF or BF arti Inq build i pretty good. Even on a 1st lifer. Pure arti or 18 arti/ 2 Mnk.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
Assuming you don't mind multiclassing, everyone seems to be running arti 12/wizard 6/rogue 2 imbue build with repeater, expanded clip and fatesinger ranged strikes for endgame.

Rhunah

Assuming you don't mind multiclassing, everyone seems to be running arti 12/wizard 6/rogue 2 imbue build with repeater, expanded clip and fatesinger ranged strikes for endgame.
What do these builds look like since the last update?

droid327

What do these builds look like since the last update?

Probably pretty similar since Repeaters dont really benefit from the AOE Strike change, aside from the two in BE, which you were probably taking already. You can use Hunts End now though alongside Fatesinger strike.

Rhunah

Probably pretty similar since Repeaters dont really benefit from the AOE Strike change, aside from the two in BE, which you were probably taking already. You can use Hunts End now though alongside Fatesinger strike.
Then I'll have to see if I can find a build for it, I still have to familiarize myself with arti builds.
I've also seen darkhunter level instead of wizard level, what's the difference?

droid327

Then I'll have to see if I can find a build for it, I still have to familiarize myself with arti builds.
I've also seen darkhunter level instead of wizard level, what's the difference?

6 DH gives you access to Sniper Shot in the Deepwoods tree, plus some extra Sneak dice. 6 Wizard gives you bonus Imbue dice and spellpower, plus some utility spells and defense in EK.

Rhunah

I saw it, thank you. I'm trying to squeeze it together for my first life, but I have the feeling that it can't work

unbongwah

I saw it, thank you. I'm trying to squeeze it together for my first life, but I have the feeling that it can't work
Why not? The first-life iteration would be something like:
  • INT 18 (+level-ups) DEX 16 (+3 tome for IPS) CON 16; or skip IPS like that build, dump DEX to 13 for Precision, pump up CON
  • 41 Battle Engineer / 17 Warforged / 11 Harper Agent / 11 Vistani Knife Fighter
  • 38 Shiradi / 14 Fatesinger / 11 Shadowdancer (or drop SD, swap Mithral Body for Adamantine Body, and maybe put those points into Macrotechnic)
You have to make compromises compared to a 98 AP / 75 EDP endgame build, of course, but nothing hinges on having that many points to spend AFAICT.

Last edited:

Rhunah

I lack the experience for exactly these compromises, in general and with the Artificer in particular. And that's the nice thing here in DDO, in principle everyone is helped if possible. Thanks.

Rhunah

Why not? The first-life iteration would be something like:
  • INT 18 (+level-ups) DEX 16 (+3 tome for IPS) CON 16; or skip IPS like that build, dump DEX to 13 for Precision, pump up CON
  • 41 Battle Engineer / 17 Warforged / 11 Harper Agent / 11 Vistani Knife Fighter
  • 38 Shiradi / 14 Fatesinger / 11 Shadowdancer (or drop SD, swap Mithral Body for Adamantine Body, and maybe put those points into Macrotechnic)
You have to make compromises compared to a 98 AP / 75 EDP endgame build, of course, but nothing hinges on having that many points to spend AFAICT.
By the way, thanks for your iconic builds in the old forum, they helped me a lot and I had a lot of fun with them

Bardo

6 DH gives you access to Sniper Shot in the Deepwoods tree, plus some extra Sneak dice. 6 Wizard gives you bonus Imbue dice and spellpower, plus some utility spells and defense in EK.
I'm interested in this one (currently using arti 12/ wiz 6/ rogue 2), Im not expert enough to figure some optimal stuff, do you know by any chance where to find a complete description of this build? By the way: why Fatesinger epic strike and not Shiradi Pin, which seems to be quite good after the update? Do you know if Hunt's End is still only applied to the first bolt?

droid327

I'm interested in this one (currently using arti 12/ wiz 6/ rogue 2), Im not expert enough to figure some optimal stuff, do you know by any chance where to find a complete description of this build? By the way: why Fatesinger epic strike and not Shiradi Pin, which seems to be quite good after the update? Do you know if Hunt's End is still only applied to the first bolt?

It'd be something like Arti 12 DH 6 Rogue 2, INT>CON>DEX for feats, ranged feats (IPS is more optional now with the AOE shots) + dodge mob SOTR + Quicken + Ins Reflex + etc., you got plenty of feats between autogrants and Arti bonus. ~40 BE, 8 Harper, 11 DWS, 11 Assassin, 10 wherever (racials, RMM, more DWS, DH for more sneak, etc.)

Pin only works AOE on the first bolt, Fatesinger strike works fully on each bolt. Also it lets you instantly build full stacks for the follow-up shot. If HE only applied to the first bolt before, that wouldn't have changed.

RangerOne

Well, not sure how I will feel with the changes, but I normally run as a 1 rogue/19 ranger with acid and the Falconry tree. Points in WIS. Falconry for Death from Above as an opening shot since it usually takes out trash and some minor bosses. Check out Strimtom's build for an acid ranger (link regrettably missing) as acid is pretty effective. I know the cool kids are using repeating crossbows but I was never a fan. At one point my pure rogue mechanic with great crossbows was dealing more damage than my bowsman, but things evened out after some previous passes. I'm eager to get back to bows to test out the AOE arrows.

DDO Noob

2s CD vs. 15s CD, it's simple. 8)
Assuming for a ranged build, you'd use Epic Strike from Fatesinger, that would be "The Pluck of a String" which is 5s CD, not 2s CD. That is unless the wiki is wrong. That's still 3 times faster than 15s CD, so Fatesinger is still the better choice. Or is it assumed that you ignore the ranged option and use the Fatesinger Epic Strike spell option, which is indeed 2s CD?

Abax11

Pluck is not great but is only 5 seconds cooldown, add a couple of sonic damage in top of the physical damage and is helpful against some enemies with high prr. Pin is good as a emergency CC and its aoe started to work a lot better the last week i usually alternate between both depending on situation.