SSG: Can we have a server in EU region please?

TavernBrawler

Having to play with >60ms ping with so much lag is becoming unplayable. With cloud tenants becoming cheaper than heating bills (at least in the UK), could you please strike a deal with one of the cloud providers and host the game here? With upcoming D&D MMO studio based in London, it would be good not to ignore us in the long term. Thank you.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Hmmm, my experience in connecting from the UK, there's a few factors that can impact on your ability to get a decent lower latency connection from your end or not, something SSG (edit)can't(/edit) handle:

1. Don't use powerlines to connect. You're sabotaging your own connection before it even reaches the router/modem to the Internet in this case.

2. Don't use WiFi to connect. Same deal, just it's often less issues compared to connecting via powerlines. But you'll need to watch out for local interferrence and a whole bunch of other stuff, but can be mitigated in some instances at least unlike powerlines.

3. Don't use cheap motherboard or addon NICs. No seriously, there's quite often NIC's on motherboard (and on addons) that require the CPU to perform overhead for the NIC to drive it, which can be detrimental to overall performance as well inside DDO when there's lots happening on your system at the same time. Although this is less of an issue these days with modern hardware being likely to drive GPU and NIC without noticeable loss of performance, but on older hardware can be more noticeable.

4. Internet connection provider itself. It's very hit and miss in the UK. One BT FTTC (VDSL2) connection could be fine, but have a much lower connection (60mb/s rather than 79mb/s). Whilst another BT FTTC (VDSL2) connection could be terrible, even when having a higher connection (74mb/s rather than 60mb/s). This is a huge variable on its own unfortunately, and having a local server may not improve things. But of course, I'm also aware that many connections in the UK could be a lot worse than even what I typed here, so mileage may vary unfortunately if you are unable to secure a better connection (which is all too common over in the UK). The only good news I can add to this, is that with a decent connection even a lowly 8mb/s ADSL connection could have lower latency than 60ms for DDO. FTTP full fibre connections are not necessary for a decent connection.

5. In relation to ISP, if your connection is dynamically allocated to you, you can end up with a dud connection where someone had left a lot of connections flowing towards it. This can lower your latency as it unravels the jungle you got thrown into. But there's nothing that can be done here other than trying to disconnect and getting a different connection that's cleaner. But if you're on FTTC (VDSL2) here in the UK, the disconnections could trigger DLM (Dynamic Line Management) where it then introduces error correction to the line, and it then tanks your latency. So it's a double edged sword doing this.

6. Don't let anyone else run stuff that'll cause a hit to latency; letting someone hammer away at your connection whilst they wait for stuff to download and return stuff as well, is a recipe for disaster for online gaming, as if the switch, router, modem is unable to manage the traffic hit, it'll negatively impact on everyone else connected at the same time.

If there's anything here you notice you can change, you "might" be able to get a better experience with online latency with DDO. But yeah, there's a lot of stuff on the player side that could be harming your connection where even if we have a local server, it might not improve matters.

J1NG

Last edited:

Spook

Ping is mostly a function of Distance - if I connected a cable directly from my machine to the SSG servers the best possible ping is approximately 40 ms (limit speed of light in a vacuum)- in reality a good fttp ping will be roughly double that depending on route.

edit: Moving from FTTC to FTTP did improve my ping by about 20ms YMMV

Last edited:

Anurakh

For me the main benefit of a UE server would be having more people to play with in my time zone, but the migration seems like a nightmare. We need to concentrate population, not disperse it more...

Loromir

Having to play with >60ms ping with so much lag is becoming unplayable. With cloud tenants becoming cheaper than heating bills (at least in the UK), could you please strike a deal with one of the cloud providers and host the game here? With upcoming D&D MMO studio based in London, it would be good not to ignore us in the long term. Thank you.
Wayfinder is a German Server.

Elfishski

There are FAR further away places than the UK from the servers... be grateful for 60ms!

Kintaya

We need LESS servers, not MORE.
Less servers = higher population density
Higher population density = higher chance LFMs
More LFMs = higher chance of finding new friends/guildies
More friends = more fun
More fun = more willing to spend on game
More willing to spend on game = more funds for devs
More funds for devs = more/better/higher quality content
More/better/higher quality content = more fun
And then it becomes like a turbocharger.

pame12

You can try creating your own custom VPN on google cloud then optimize it for speed (just use low latency kernel). There should be a good amount of tutorials for how to setup openvpn easily enough.

When I did tests, I managed to shave off about 20ms, from 120ms to 100ms when I was doing tests connecting to I think it was new york from UK? Not DDO related, but rather via a speedtest website and other speedtest tools.

Reason for that is due to most vpn providers don't run low latency kernels, and google's internet connections allow for better quality powerlines to be used over the transcontinental from EU to USA.
So possibly even though I'm getting a 20ms improvement, for DDO it might actually be better, maybe.

For me though it's not so much about the latency but rather the server lag spikes in general though, those happen to everyone I think, whether they're up the server's asses or not.

Falkor

Sorry about yer ping. In theory, a nice idea. In practice, it'd be an empty server for two reasons ...

1. The cost of current players moving over to populate it, they won't.
2. Lack of New Players ... even if EU server were made, I don't think it would ever be the default server.

EU server was tried and didn't work. That was when we had more people playing. With a diminishing population base, there is no way this is a fiscally responsible decision.

Spook

EU servers wasnt tried by SSG/Turbine it was a partnership with Codemasters that ran its course.

However, Sev has already addressed this topic on a live stream and there are not enough EU DDO players for it to even be a consideration at this time - it is more likely to happen on the LOTRO side.

Arch-Necromancer

They could have at least marked the servers with "continent" (or some region) labels. regardless of the real location of servers.

If a server was marked as EU server, most europeans would choose it as a default one to play on.

So that means people would find more population on their active hours.

When I played LOTRO, I chose the server marked as EU in its name as my default one and I even found my national guild there. I do not know why they do not follow the same logic in DDO if it works well in LOTRO and all other games.

Lazuli

They could have at least marked the servers with "continent" (or some region) labels. regardless of the real location of servers.

If a server was marked as EU server, most europeans would choose it as a default one to play on.

So that means people would find more population on their active hours.

When I played LOTRO, I chose the server marked as EU in its name as my default one and I even found my national guild there. I do not know why they do not follow the same logic in DDO if it works well in LOTRO and all other games.
As you have seen from a multitude of things within the game, DDO has grown chaotically without a plan in mind.