Automatically Open Lock

Putti

I'd love it if you automatically started a lockpicking attempt when interacting with locked doors and chests (similar to how disable device works) instead of having to have Open Lock on your action bar and click the skill while targetting the object. It's always felt clunky and unnecessary to me.

Obviously trained ranks in Open Lock should be a pre-requisite.

Upvote 4

DYWYPI

There are some doors that "auto" swing open when you pick their lock. In fact most 'breakable doors' can be unlocked with 'Open Lock'. There are several generic Levers that you can also unloosen with 'Open Lock', just off the top of my head; Spies in the House, Bargain of Blood, Search and Rescue, and The Underlane Assignment... There'll be more, but I cannot recall, which at the moment.

I'm not in particularly in favour of changing to the current behaviour with regards to: Open Lock and Locked doors or Levers. Locked chests are less of an issue in most cases as the open and closing of the lid is just mostly cosmetic and reveals the chest contents unless they are actually Mimics.

There are tonnes of breakable doors that can also optionally be unlocked – a lot more than most people realise... On the whole most people will break the doors down if they have the ability to smash them to splinters, etc.

I still wish to have an actual choice of how I interact with such doors and in the majority of cases; I will actually want to SMASH the door down and NOT waste resources and time attempting to pick the Lock! So if that's your plan then I certainly oppose the changes with regards to; Locked breakable doors.

When I'm on my Assassin there are some of those dual-propose "locked breakable doors" I wish to break and others I chose to unlock for obvious reasons. I'd say the majority of them I would choose to break by swinging my weapons (depending upon mobs and dungeon layout) in either case I still want that choice and not for the default to be carelessly overridden by auto: Open Lock! :-/

Toede

I don't have open lock on my bar. What I do is target it as an interactable and then use the interact key. So Q to target and then I think the default for interact is E.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
I don't have open lock on my bar. What I do is target it as an interactable and then use the interact key. So Q to target and then I think the default for interact is E.
That does not work on locked chests.
You cann use q+e only on unlocked chests

Toede

You're right. I'm mixing it up with disable. I have my key mapped on my gamepad on the same button so it does both. Sorry for the misinformation.

Putti

There are some doors that "auto" swing open when you pick their lock. In fact most 'breakable doors' can be unlocked with 'Open Lock'. There are several generic Levers that you can also unloosen with 'Open Lock', just off the top of my head; Spies in the House, Bargain of Blood, Search and Rescue, and The Underlane Assignment... There'll be more, but I cannot recall, which at the moment.

I'm not in particularly in favour of changing to the current behaviour with regards to: Open Lock and Locked doors or Levers. Locked chests are less of an issue in most cases as the open and closing of the lid is just mostly cosmetic and reveals the chest contents unless they are actually Mimics.

There are tonnes of breakable doors that can also optionally be unlocked – a lot more than most people realise... On the whole most people will break the doors down if they have the ability to smash them to splinters, etc.

I still wish to have an actual choice of how I interact with such doors and in the majority of cases; I will actually want to SMASH the door down and NOT waste resources and time attempting to pick the Lock! So if that's your plan then I certainly oppose the changes with regards to; Locked breakable doors.

When I'm on my Assassin there are some of those dual-propose "locked breakable doors" I wish to break and others I chose to unlock for obvious reasons. I'd say the majority of them I would choose to break by swinging my weapons (depending upon mobs and dungeon layout) in either case I still want that choice and not for the default to be carelessly overridden by auto: Open Lock! :-/

So I just tested it and apparently interacting with a locked smashable door starts attacking it. So smashing would be considered the default behaviour for those, which means nothing would change as your character is not actually attempting to open the door when interacting with it.
With my proposed change you'd automatically start picking the lock when you click "Use" on the door instead of getting the message that the door is locked. So nothing would change for those type of doors except you'd have another option for unlocking it.

Last edited:

Dragavon

This has been suggested several times and Tonquin even posted on it saying he would make it happen.

I am guessing the reason why we have not gotten this yet is that there are problems programming it into the game.