STR based Khopesh Dark hunter 18 1 1 Fvs / Wlk (or pure 20 DH)

hent

Hey guys I am looking to TR my main into a shifter iconic (i'm open to hear other race choices) dark hunter (using that +1 LR) and I have some trouble deciding the AP splits.
The main idea of going shifter is that i will spend big AP in FoTW so i get adrenaline + i have rage (temp hp from filigree weapon swap) and just higher STR overall, aswell as free STR in the tree.
I have maxed AP of 98 so I can go for any race suggested, but seeing the AP is so tight, might aswell go a race that for 17 AP i can get everything i need from racial tree.
The point is to use Khopeshes because i just looted an attuned bone khopesh

My main concerns are the following:
I want at least 40 AP in Tempest, for all tier 5's except for evasion (3/3 DD, 3/3 Cuts, 2 AP DP, 2 AP Whirling blades)
at least 23 AP in the DH tree for the stacking MP from enemy kills (Slayer in the Dark 3/3)

But then i don't have room for +1 threat from DWS, which sucks.
Even if i cut here & there some AP to fit both (for example 38 Temp, 21 DH, 21 DWS) that would leave a total of 0 AP for trance.

I kind of don't want to do pure just because then the trance would cost me 7-8 AP compared to 3-4 AP (i'm aware that i am losing 10% DS & 10 MP PRR/MRR for this choice, I am creating the post so we can argue over what's the ideal build).

Do you guys just drop the DH melee power or the threat range on your tempest builds? i feel like 17-20 x4 khop's are not that bad, specifically if you are running an adrenaline build

If i decide to ignore the threat range from DWS, then i would do this
- Tempest 41
- DH 23+
- DWS 11
- Warpriest 3-4
------------
78-79 for a free 1-2 AP wherever i want, + 16 racial & 1 universal tree AP

EDs:
Just to also mention them, my plan is to go
- tier 5 FoTW for extra HP, bursty epic moment, great leveler (38ish AP)
- tier 4 SD 25 AP for core 4 + Bring Darkness + mantle helpless
-
tier 2 GmoF = 2 cores + 3% DS = 8 AP
--------------
1 DP spare

OR
EDs:
Just to also mention them, my plan is to go
- tier 5 FoTW for extra HP, bursty epic moment, great leveler (38ish AP) <- gent fury mantle
- tier 4 SD 22 AP for core 4 + Bring Darkness
-
tier 3 LD = 3 cores + 2% DS = 12 AP
--------------
0 DP spare

Any fellow rangers / dark hunter melee enjoyers who can give me a hint on what is best here?

hent

Edit: I just thought that if you go 15 paladin / 5 DH you get literally everything except a few ranger tree cores but you get the threat range... i would like to get the dark hunter PL though

hent

I've never put a single point in the DH tree on any of my DH lives.
Hey, thx for responding anyway.

Then your STR ranger build is the classic one i assume?
tempest capstone
DWS range + SA
KTA

And how would you rank it compared to other top melee dps builds?

Is it really better than the 15 paladin 5 DH variant?
considering the second one has better DS, MP, exalted smite, fervor proc & better saves while pure DH mainly only has SA damage over it

Edit: even though the pally version is not really feasible without many many LR's on a shifter, i'm assuming most people just use aasimar.

unbongwah

On my pure Dark Hunter Tempest, I still use 41 Tempest / 24 Deepwood Stalker (Killer & +1 crit range) as my baseline AP split. That leaves 15 APs which is plenty for Know the Angles (presuming I'm STR+INT-based); leftover points can go into Dark Hunter for extra sneak attacks or Vistani+Falconry for a couple more Favored Enemies (Undead+Animal).

If you really want to focus on Dark Hunter, have you consider 2H weapons instead? 41 Dark Hunter / 24 DWS / 6-8 Harper for +1 crit range & multiplier, Killer + Slayer in the Dark (so you have both proc-on-kill buffs), Know the Angles.

FVSHasBeenEvenMoreGutted

i love how when people ask for a build from an archetype, half of the archetypes are "I don't put points in the archetype tree." flawless design ssg, 10/10, would not recommend

hent

On my pure Dark Hunter Tempest, I still use 41 Tempest / 24 Deepwood Stalker (Killer & +1 crit range) as my baseline AP split. That leaves 15 APs which is plenty for Know the Angles (presuming I'm STR+INT-based); leftover points can go into Dark Hunter for extra sneak attacks or Vistani+Falconry for a couple more Favored Enemies (Undead+Animal).

If you really want to focus on Dark Hunter, have you consider 2H weapons instead? 41 Dark Hunter / 24 DWS / 6-8 Harper for +1 crit range & multiplier, Killer + Slayer in the Dark (so you have both proc-on-kill buffs), Know the Angles.
Thanks for the suggestion, didn't think about it, sadly this build would be behind pretty much any other THF build in terms of raw STR, melee power and everything. I kinda hate how there's just like 2-3 viable builds for each melee style.

hent

i love how when people ask for a build from an archetype, half of the archetypes are "I don't put points in the archetype tree." flawless design ssg, 10/10, would not recommend
for this one case, giving DH tree a +1 threat range at 4th core (same as DWS) and just having multiplier at tier 5 would solve the issue with dark hunter, since it would synergize much better with the base class.

hent

So much flaws in this game regarding endgame building..

few examples come to mind: haste boost should be pickable at LD tier 1 for builds that don't have haste on their trees so they can not invest 8 AP into vistani (or at least decide which you want to sacrifice points on)
improved uncanny dodge is just too good to not play a barb at cap, i think UD should be attainable through feats, and barb & rogue get them for free, just like ranger gets TWF line, or at least nerf it to 25% dodge cap bonus.

Teh_Troll

Hey, thx for responding anyway.

Then your STR ranger build is the classic one i assume?
tempest capstone
DWS range + SA
KTA

And how would you rank it compared to other top melee dps builds?

Is it really better than the 15 paladin 5 DH variant?
considering the second one has better DS, MP, exalted smite, fervor proc & better saves while pure DH mainly only has SA damage over it

Edit: even though the pally version is not really feasible without many many LR's on a shifter, i'm assuming most people just use aasimar.

Tempest, deepwood, enough points in HW to get the DEX trance since keeping dex higher than INT was easy.

How's it compare to top DPS? it's fine. I'll be honest I'm a little behind the 8-ball as to what tops is right now since shifter got "adjusted."

This is 9 months old and I've beaten this time, just never while I had the 'camera' running.

15 Pally/5 DH is probably more damage. The Tempest capstone needs to get it's bonus 25% off-hand back as there was not reason for it to have been taken away.

hent

Tempest, deepwood, enough points in HW to get the DEX trance since keeping dex higher than INT was easy.

How's it compare to top DPS? it's fine. I'll be honest I'm a little behind the 8-ball as to what tops is right now since shifter got "adjusted."

This is 9 months old and I've beaten this time, just never while I had the 'camera' running.

15 Pally/5 DH is probably more damage. The Tempest capstone needs to get it's bonus 25% off-hand back as there was not reason for it to have been taken away.
This is the response i was looking for! thanks for the video and feedback, the build in the video is exactly what i am trying to run.
But i will keep an eye open for the paladin variant. Thanks mate