DDOwiki broke, need alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1NG

I can do things others can't...
Tried with Firefox (with and without blocker software) and no ads came up. With Edge (and no blocker software), one ad did some up but it was on the side banner.

Could you grab a screenshot of how it is on your screen? Might give a better idea of what's going on.

J1NG

rabidfox

The People's Champion
These were ones people posted on the community discord last night when this same subject came up over there.
IMG_3586.jpg

image.png

FaceDancer

Olde Wurm
I"m using Adblock Plus and no issue with the ads. I did see them when I used an alt browser with no blocker installed. Yeah... pretty obnoxious.

Eoin

On mobile, you can use an ad blocking DNS server. Which can break some public wifi endpoints, just have to swap back to automatic when that happens.

Scrag

There’s the DDO Compendium.

Also, it’s too bad none of the ads are for DDO
I am uncomfortable with installing an ad blocker. I will probably just set up a firewall at the edge to do dns sinkholing. Being in cybersecurity, I am exceedingly wary of installing much of anything at all...

I will shift to ddo compendium. Thanks!

edit: Holy crap ddocompendium is clean!

Falkor

Firefox has extensions rated by the community..... it's not like just installing some random piece of software off the darkweb. But if you don't understand tech and what's involved, I can understand the hesitation.

Firefox + ublock origins plugin is the way to go. Youtube is usable, all the ads are removed. I have zero issues w ads on ddowiki.

I'm still surprised by how little people understand about modern technology. Didn't most of us grow up with computers? I've had one since 5 years old, starting with a TRS-80 and basic programming.

And my tinfoil hat is still working great.

Last edited:

Scrag

But if you don't understand tech and what's involved, I can understand the hesitation.
There are projects on github that have a massive audience, used for developing critical infrastructure and beyond. Same with pypi and so forth. These are fundamental packages that in many cases are fairly ubiquitous.

Malicious code commits happen all the time, forcing extremely high speed responses to remove the offending code and perform triage as people scan the hell out of their codebase to find all instances of the package that are in use containing the malicious code.

My hesitation is based on years of seeing _very_ bad things happen on vast scales with monetary costs in many many many millions of USD (or currency of your choice). Take for instance the Solarwinds issue. My computer is as spartan as it gets, and for good reason.

Thank you for your concern however.

edit: For reference. For the tin foil hats. Solarwinds breakdown

Last edited:

Falkor

Ok, github is for programmers and people who have a deeper understanding of tech. Almost everything I get off git needs to be compiled and requires a certain level of technical skill.

Installing a firefox plugin is nothing like that. I don't see how your comparison is relevant here. We can compare apples and potatoes all day long.

Firefox is one of the original web browsers. And has plugins vetted by Firefox and the community. This is easy and user friendly. You literally just click on the plugin icon and install it from a list with reviews and ratings. Using the biggest adblocker that has peer support, article reviews, and a 5 star rating isn't a reason to go down conspiracy road and believe it's going to install a backdoor into anyones computer.

My wife's 74 year old father knows how to install firefox plugins, and uses Adblock. It's literally not rocket science. It's about as easy as it gets.

There is mistrust ... and then there are unreasonable levels of paranoia.

Can't imagine the stress level that comes with believing everything is dangerous, and living in near constant fear. That's not healthy.

Since I don't live with that level of anxiety, I know my tinfoil hat is working perfectly and keeping the alien sex rays from zapping my brain.

Last edited:

Hireling

Ok, github is for programmers and people who have a deeper understanding of tech. Almost everything I get off git needs to be compiled and requires a certain level of technical skill.

Installing a firefox plugin is nothing like that. I don't see how your comparison is relevant here. We can compare apples and potatoes all day long.

Firefox is one of the original web browsers. And has plugins vetted by Firefox and the community. This is easy and user friendly. You literally just click on the plugin icon and install it from a list with reviews and ratings. Using the biggest adblocker that has peer support, article reviews, and a 5 star rating isn't a reason to go down conspiracy road and believe it's going to install a backdoor into anyones computer.

My wife's 74 year old father knows how to install firefox plugins, and uses Adblock. It's literally not rocket science. It's about as easy as it gets.

There is mistrust ... and then there are unreasonable levels of paranoia.

Can't imagine the stress level that comes with believing everything is dangerous, and living in near constant fear. That's not healthy.

Since I don't live with that level of anxiety, I know my tinfoil hat is working perfectly and keeping the alien sex rays from zapping my brain.
I do think the hesitation isn't bad.
Every 2 years, Mark Zuckerberg stands in front of congress and says "I didn't know we were selling your information and allowing advertisers to target children's insecurities "
I just default to thinking "nome of this stuff is completely harmless"
Heck, like 12 years ago, Turbine did an "offer wall". They had us sign up to malicious sites for DDO POINTS. Was pretty rough.
So I can understand why people are a little skeptical.

Drunken.dx

This confirms to me DDO community does not have general online experience...

Tried DDO wiki without adblocker and while obnoxious, ads there ere nothing worth making drama over it.
You haven't seen actual ads yet have you?

Silverfox

It is now inserting adds all over the place.

I am not sure it is even usable anymore.

What is an alternative to ddowiki?

Q - What's up with the ads?

A
- The ads help to pay for the hosting costs of the wiki. That said, there is an easy way to get rid of them. Once you login to the wiki, the ads will disappear! So if you haven't already, please register an account on DDO wiki and start contributing. Not only will you help out the DDO community, you also will no longer have to look at the ads. It's a win-win situation! :)

seph1roth5

That was me on the discord! But yeah it was the weirdest thing, because it was only ad-disastered on enhancement tree pages, nowhere else I clicked (though I only checked 5-6 other sections). And then a few hours later it was back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.