SSG: Scrap Epic Destinies and Reaper trees to reduce lag by 90%

Mobius

I've always figured that some of the problem must be the memory leak of repeatedly changing characters. I know that if I've changed characters more than 3 times I experience more and more bank lag. To the point that after 5 character changes I usually quit and restart the client. Does this affect the servers in general? Storage in DDO almost requires storage alts. As far as I know they've never truly acknowledged this issue or put it on their radar for a fix.

Sometimes when one person is experiencing severe lag and they join a group everyone begins experiencing worse lag. What is that about? Often when the person experiencing the severe lag drops group it can clear up for everyone else. How does that work?

My son was experiencing such bad stuttering lag Saturday that I told him to restart and it cleared up. For further confusion to the situation it was his first character to log on for the day and hubby and I were experiencing relatively lag free gaming (at the time) and we were all playing from computers in the same house.
Character switching is definitely a killer. On each subsequent login, the toolbar icons populate more and more slowly each time. By the sixth or seventh character swap, the toolbar icons just stay blank (or show green empty weapon slot icons) until they finally populate whatever is supposed to be there. It's one of the reasons that I hate looking for a misplaced item, I can never get through all of my characters in one pass without having to relog.

Monkey_Archer

Around 1-2ish years ago SSG made a series of changes aimed at fixing lag from the doublestrike change onward. Those changes did have a noticeable impact on lag. The last 6 months or so have seen the return of lag as bad or worse than before those changes.

Rather than remove random components of the game in hopes that it works, how about we find out what they changed to bring back the lag, and... i don't know... stop doing that instead....

Br4d

The worst suggestion I've ever seen posted to this forum.

Seriously, this game is dying to bloat at this point.

Might it die quicker if system layers were not constantly added to the stack?

Sure.

But it's dying as it is now so I would make an attempt to revitalize via simplification and expansion of the player base.

Content is King. Make many new instances and alternate content types for players to play from level 1 to cap. That's how you keep new people once they've been around the park once and are definitely not on the Methuselah Train.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Seriously, this game is dying to bloat at this point.

Might it die quicker if system layers were not constantly added to the stack?

Sure.

But it's dying as it is now so I would make an attempt to revitalize via simplification and expansion of the player base.
We should get rid of heroic trees too as that'll have the greatest performance impact and will simplify the game greatly.

Br4d

More players make lag, Scrap players on Orien.

It's much more complicated than that.

I have been playing through most of this lag stretch on Orien with little or no lag.

Why am I fortunate while others suffer? I have no idea but I suspect that the fact that I do not group has something to do with that.

Also, I do not use sentient weapons from 20 until cap and sometimes not at cap.

Also, I do not have cursed weapons and have actually not played any content that would produce curse cards.

Also, I do not use GS or LGS items and never have.

Basically I play a much simpler version of DDO than most of the vets.

A lot of the bloat in the game is just not present in my play of the game and so I do not lag much. At least that's what I tell myself.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
It's much more complicated than that.

I have been playing through most of this lag stretch on Orien with little or no lag.

Why am I fortunate while others suffer? I have no idea but I suspect that the fact that I do not group has something to do with that.

Also, I do not use sentient weapons from 20 until cap and sometimes not at cap.

Also, I do not have cursed weapons and have actually not played any content that would produce curse cards.

Also, I do not use GS or LGS items and never have.

Basically I play a much simpler version of DDO than most of the vets.

A lot of the bloat in the game is just not present in my play of the game and so I do not lag much. At least that's what I tell myself.
Darn, so my 1st lifer I'm on right now in heroics with zero curses is lagging because? Or my HC characters every season? Please do explain that.

Br4d

Darn, so my 1st lifer I'm on right now in heroics with zero curses is lagging because? Or my HC characters every season? Please do explain that.

You have lag in HCL?

I maybe have lagged once the first season for a day or two and never since.

Ahpuch

Likely this is why your experience differs. All those other things that you don't use, I do and I also don't see much lag when soloing. My experience seems to be that coordinating data between multiple clients introduces a significant likelihood of lag. It is not unusual to have lag that goes away when one player with bad lag drops out of a group. As with all lag, this is not the only factor but it can be a significant issue.

John3000

Megaserver! A whole 450 people online! MASSIVELY multiplayer!!! (and a whole 50 more than argo that didn't lag)

I'm not sorry for wanting to play an MMO.

G-Land was running smooth on my end.... Perhaps 300 is the sweet spot and 400 the upper limit ?

They should have performance benchmarks for that stuff and prevent over population.... Though I still don't know why they can't spawn private dungeon instances across multiple servers to distribute loads (old code or not - seems other old games have done that such as GW2)

Oh well, guess that mega server idea is not close to seeing the day...

Cheers

Ahpuch

I solo a lot and get lag a bunch too. So more theories?
As I mentioned, it is not the only reason. Do you find you experience as much lag when soloing as when in a 4 player party or in a Raid Group? That would be different than my experience as I do see occasional lag when soloing but nothing compared to being in a large group of players. But that is anecdotal and certainly not rigorous enough to be data or enough to tie it to a theory.

jotmon

This weekend was an horrible experience for players at Orien. Long loading screens, bank windows opening after 15 minutes (and sometimes in middle of the quests), XP/Slayer pots ticking even after logging off etc. While numerous changes have been done over the years, your team has not able to eliminate or even reduce the impact of lag.
The crux of the matter is this: DDO engine is not built to handle around 200 enhancement points (Heroic + Epic Destinies + Reaper trees) on every swing of the players, every hit by the monsters, hundreds of players stepping in and out of dungeons. We never had 10 minute "flying in the air" lag before MoTU and EDs were introduced. This is also why Hardcore servers have little lag even though population is high. Your masters, EG7, has made it clear no funds will be made available to DDO so I have little reason to believe an update to the engine will ever happen or moving to latest cloud tech will somehow materialize. Sometimes you need to chop off your legs to live a bit longer and so this has to be done, however painful it will be for players.

TLDR
: Scrap EDs and replace with class specific feats at level 24, 28, 30, 34, 38 and 40. Scrap reaper trees, and just provide reaper cosmetics on rxp accumulated.

seems like random BS to justify some sort of hate towards ED's and reaper.
Do you have any factual information to show this is the reason for lag.
Maybe its the inventory space killing cosmetics that are the source of the lag.

John3000

This is also why Hardcore servers have little lag even though population is high.

Not sure you can compare HC servers to the standard servers... I seem to remember a post on the old forums that mentioned they were different server specs (supposedly to serve as a megaserver experiment) + HC gets a full database / server clean at each new season.... so the comparison is unfair.

Cheers

Buddha5440

If what I am saying is untrue or wrong, please tell the devs or system engineers from SSG to correct me in this post and explain why none of their methods seem to not work and lag goes up with every update. We are all awaiting eagerly (and to tons of people who lost their XP/slayer pots even after logging off).
First off your original idea is just bad. What about multiclassing...which class do you get your "class specific" feats for? Also...it's always fun when people chime in with things like 'Everyone', 'Most', 'Tons of people', etc. If there were "tons of people" who have experienced this, there would likely be 50+ threads complaining about it.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
As I mentioned, it is not the only reason. Do you find you experience as much lag when soloing as when in a 4 player party or in a Raid Group? That would be different than my experience as I do see occasional lag when soloing but nothing compared to being in a large group of players. But that is anecdotal and certainly not rigorous enough to be data or enough to tie it to a theory.
I find there's no constant to lag other than "playing DDO" (and a few select raids that have design issues IMO that cause them to lag out).

Phaaze

I have noticed that pets, hires and summons lag instances super fast but they are not the only source, just one that makes it much worse.

I have had suspicions that another chunk of it is pathing that gets exponentially worse the more players are in an instance.

There also seems to be more as we get closer to server restart so I think another chunk might be run away loops, etc. that build up over days.

Kimbere

The 2-3 hour bout of game-breaking lag on Orien this weekend (and 2 weekends ago) was something altogether different from the normal lag we're used to. It wasn't the suttering, freezing, rubberbanding and action queueing backlog that we usually see when there's high load on the servers.

Instead, it seemed to be almost entirely related to things that would read/write from the database (i.e. banking, buying/selling from vendors, logging in/out, etc.)

For example, I went to my airship, hit the banker, gave up waiting on the bank windows to appear after literally more than a minute, teleported to the Feywild castle and stepped into Wake Me Up Inside and was 2+ minutes into the quest and fighting mobs when the bank windows suddenly popped up.

I quickly closed them as I was mid-combat and 15-30s later, they appeared again. That open/close cycle on the bank windows continued for the next few minutes before finally stopping.

Note that during that entire time, I was running the quest normally and with no other symptoms of lag. Zoning from my airship to the Fey castle and then into the quest was normal. Combat was working smoothly, movement was normal, etc. I was in the quest solo on R4 with no hires, pets, etc.