Suggestion: Raising Hirelings from the dead safely

TavernTails

Tuesday Trivia Host on DDOstream
With hireling AI sometimes being... creative... as it relates to standing in traps, acid pits, etc, it is often impossible to raise them from the dead without considerable risks to yourself. I mean, while diving in a lava or acid pit, fishing for a soul stone *IS* something you can tell your grandkids; it makes for awkward gameplay.

When raising a hireling from the dead, I would suggest that you add ONE more click for WHERE you want that hireling to be raised. It would be better to safely set him somewhere nondeadly within a relevant range. In the acid pit example above, players would select the target for raise, then select a location in range to raise the hireling. Another Dungeons and Dragons game implemented this, and it was incredibly useful.

Col Kurtz

let the hirelings decompose where they lay:)

I'd prefer that we can apply a variety of clown style cosmetics before they break hirelings any further..

...but, I'd like that cosmetic storage tab 1st! like the pet companion tab...and the mount tab

droid327

Why not just have the soulstone go straight to your inventory when they die, so they'll stay tethered to you?

You already have their contract to summon them, they're already "linked" to you

The only reason to have soulstones actually drop is so other players could grab it...but if you have other players, you dont really need hirelings :)

Col Kurtz

Why not just have the soulstone go straight to your inventory when they die, so they'll stay tethered to you?

You already have their contract to summon them, they're already "linked" to you

The only reason to have soulstones actually drop is so other players could grab it...but if you have other players, you dont really need hirelings :)
aren't we supposed to grab their stones and run off ...

if its Wyoh you drop it in the lava

TavernTails

That certainly sounds easier to code (glances at the awesome SSG dev team). Even allowing them to teleport to you when dead doesn't seem like much of an abusable feature. It just seems that if revisiting the AI isn't part of the immediate development plans due to higher priorities, a simple workaround like those discussed could be considered.

TavernTails

I think the OP's problem is when they die because they just stand in fire, and then their ghost just stands in fire, and you cant get to their soulstone because its still in the fire, then you cant rez them because they'll just immediately die in fire again
Correct. When you know every quest like the back of your hand, you can be more flexible. I tend to park healing hirelings at the door when I "solo", and bring them to me on a 'break glass when needed' emergency basis only. But in Vecna Unleashed, I have twice (under different circumstances) had a hireling run into the acid pit and die.

seph1roth5

I like the idea of soulstones going to your inventory. What about giving players a "resurrect hireling" feat like with arti/druid? Or, just making them immune to environmental damage.

Bjond

I like the idea of soulstones going to your inventory
That would be insanely annoying in spots where you actually do NOT want anyone picking up and moving stones; eg. skeletons (the skull jumper) and KT (don't want stones on the dragon tank). I never pickup hireling stones, too -- I like them where they lie so the ghost doesn't pester me.