Un-nerf two handed fighting and update power attack.

Give two-hander the 20% extra glancing blow inbetween auto attacks that could be upgraped to 50% via enhancements.
Nerfing that and adding strikethrough was overnerf.
You can tell 2-hander bad now as you lose an equipment slot and you see SWF with bastard sword / dwarven axe being used with 2HF feats as superior to 2hf.

Also power attack is okay for like heroics the extra dmg is okay in that but its pitiful past heroics, in line with the rest of the changes I suppose power attack needs a melee power rating added to it.

Upvote 0

popejubal

THF is still significantly better at clearing trash than SWF (even hand and a half SWF with the THF feats added on top). It's really hard to beat 400% strikethrough paired with the big stat bonuses in a crowd.

THF is better at trash. TWF is better at bosses. SWF is somewhere between the two on both trash and bosses. That's a good thing.

Visik

Give two-hander the 20% extra glancing blow inbetween auto attacks that could be upgraped to 50% via enhancements.
Nerfing that and adding strikethrough was overnerf.
You can tell 2-hander bad now as you lose an equipment slot and you see SWF with bastard sword / dwarven axe being used with 2HF feats as superior to 2hf.

Also power attack is okay for like heroics the extra dmg is okay in that but its pitiful past heroics, in line with the rest of the changes I suppose power attack needs a melee power rating added to it.

The only thing I agree with is the idea that PA doesn't scale well. At the same time, it is already affected by melee power.

droid327

The only thing I agree with is the idea that PA doesn't scale well. At the same time, it is already affected by melee power.

Me too. The THF overhaul was hardly a nerf, since THF before was considered the worst fighting style by a good margin. GBs were not powerful at all.

PA does suffer scaling issues compared to Precision. Maybe it should be +1% instead of just +1, especially considering it comes with a penalty.

gurth83

I don't understand why you are complaining about THF. If you look at the players, many of them use THF, so it is still profitable. The ability to attack multiple targets with a single target is very good, especially in terms of crowd control. Also, if you really need dps for a level 31+ boss fight, you can choose a Single Weapon Specialityand use SWF. On heroic levels you have a Vanguard who gains combat speed and strikethrough with b.sword or d.ax and can use a shield - sick.

Power Attack on the other hand could have some love. Eg for THFighters it could go triple dmg instad of double. Like in Pathfinder light wapons get -5att/+5dmg, 1H get -5/+10, 2H get -5/+15.

Viamel

On short burst windows THF is the best single target dps in the game.

For trash clear THF is also usually the most efficient with some niche actives bringing exceptions.

Power Attack is one of the strongest feats in the game and is taken consistently by any melee build that can cope with the to-hit loss.

unbongwah

would Bastard sword/Dwarven axe with all the THF lines be considered SWF or THF? :unsure:
Yes.

Hand-and-a-half weapons qualify for THF feats if their offhand is empty or holding anything but another weapon.

Hand-and-a-half weapons qualify for SWF feats if their offhand is empty or holding anything but another weapon or shield.

Ergo, you qualify for both if your offhand is empty or holding an orb or Runearm.

The issue is you can't take both feat chains while leveling because they're mutually exclusive; taking one locks out the other. So you have to wait until level 31 to take the complementary weapon Specialty ED feat.

There is also a specific niche case where if you have Skirmisher from bard 3, you can get SWF+THF+Shield Mastery to stack with bucklers.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
What if Power Attack would give in addition as much Melee Power as your character level if 2HF?
Half of character level if one and a half weapon.
and 1/3 Character level if other.

???

woq

I think the combat styles are in a pretty good position atm. All of them have their own niches that feel good for different playstyles and purposes (THF clear/burst, twf sustained dmg and making best use of certain epic strikes/attacks/debuffing, swf for most fluid fast playstyle and a mix of both).

Power attack does not need to be stronger than it is currently, it is already very good.

Teh_Troll

What if Power Attack would give in addition as much Melee Power as your character level if 2HF?
Half of character level if one and a half weapon.
and 1/3 Character level if other.

???
THFing is fine, if your THFing toon is lacking the lack of power exists between the keyboard and chair.

Jack Jarvis Esquire

Didn't we just have this thread?
Yes. 👍 (But not as often as Tumble threads! 😂)

So anyway, FWIW...

I'll repeat. THF doesn't need a DPS buff imo.

But, as a basic starter, THF weapons should have an additional aug slot added and should count double towards item sets (if they are part of a set already).

I'd also like to see active cleaves given something more by THF as they erode the benefits of AOE supposed to be THFs speciality - making Cleave hit 360, and Great Cleave and Supreme Cleave hit 360 twice, like WWA does, but only when wielding a THF weapon.

• Haha
Reactions: DBZ

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak

So anyway, FWIW...

But, as a basic starter, THF weapons should have an additional aug slot added and should count double towards item sets (if they are part of a set already).

I'd also like to see active cleaves given something more by THF as they erode the benefits of AOE supposed to be THFs speciality - making Cleave hit 360, and Great Cleave and Supreme Cleave hit 360 twice, like WWA does, but only when wielding a THF weapon.
Helicopter helicopter

Hireling

I hate threads like this. Not because they aren't useful but because it makes me strongly second guess my understanding of where the game is and if "I am doing it right".
I have run a bunch of Sacred Fist lives in a row. The Quarterstaff THF, spamming Cleave/Great Cleave/WWA (the enhancement ones in the tree not the feats...pretty feat starved for all that) so strongly outlevels the handwrap/TWF version, its not even close.
So I think to myself, "Hey, gonna do a Horc Warchanter THF bard and skip the Swashbuckler part of the standard melee bard I used to make (except 11 ap for Dodges, Deflect Arrows, and Uncanny Dodge) because THF is soooo much better than SWF and TWF"
Then these threads make me think that maybe I am missing something. Maybe the extra AoEs from the Sacred Fist tree is the real thing that is adding my speed in leveling.
I will say though that feat at level 31 where you get both fighting styles are delicious on my melee Arty using a DAXE or BSword. I used THF all the way to cap and then used SWF special feat to help with single target dmg and it seemed really helpful.

Marshal_Lannes

Power Attack with Orc and Dragon Lord can get an additional 10 damage (assuming they stack). That's like 20 STR points. I mean, that's not nothing. I feel the three melee fighting styles are more balanced now than they've ever been.

popejubal

So anyway, FWIW...

Easy fix - just allow regular/Great/Supreme Cleave to doublestrike. Boom, problem solved. And it won’t have any downside that I would have a problem with.