Why is in-game voice chat volume so low?

rabidfox

The People's Champion
Different mics set up differently. I dump the voice output to 2nd set of speakers and use audio compression to make them better (louds softer and soft sounds louder).

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I tried other methods, but that's the only that played decently enough for me where I could enjoy the game and voices (I also dump discord's voice output the same 2nd set of speakers). I'm sure others have their own preferences for what works for them.

Almghandi

dont individual party members also have sliders on the party ui where you can adjust the volume individually? or was i dreaming that?

vryxnr

The system used for in game voice also seems to be... far from the best. There is a reason many have moved to discord for voice chat.

I have a naturally soft voice. I don't whisper, but I'm not going to yell either. Even with all of my settings set up to send my voice as strongly as possible, both in game and on my mic itself, and with those on the other end reporting they have everything for receiving my communications maxed out, some are able to hear me fine, others are not. The quality and bit rates are poor, and seem to be inconsistent between people reporting the same settings.

TBH I've given up trying to make it work in game. It's just not worth the hassle and frustration. If I'm in a party that will benefit from voice chat (such as while raiding, or running with someone new), I will highly recommend discord so we can actually communicate. If that is not a possibility, I will use text chat. Nothing wrong with stopping to type in most situations so long as we remember to read what is being written... imo of course, but I know typing is not optimal either.

Sympl

If you haven't figured this out yet....let me drop this on you....

All in game audio can be controlled within the game audio settings EXCEPT the party member voice audio.

This is controlled directly by your COMPUTER audio volume settings. No audio setting in the game will increase the volume. The new percentage options on the individual party members is nice, but that's a balance issue and doesn't change what I'm saying here.

Set all your in game volumes to 0.01 except your Master Volume. Set it at zero.

Go to your computer volume settings. Crank that bad boy up. Test the volume you're hearing in the in-game chat with someone to determine how loud you need your COMPUTER volume to be to have the voices at a level appropriate for you.

Come back to the game. Increase the in-game Master Volume slider up...likely all the way to 1.0, but variations in rigs and sound cards and whatever volume you settled on on your COMPUTER audio settings will vary this. Now...start edging the individual audio sliders upwards until you hit a volume you like for each effect.

Congratulations, you have achieved ideal audio balance!

You're welcome.

Edit, addendum added here: This will NOT help others hear you better. Unfortunately they will need to adjust their computers so they can hear you better. It WILL allow you to hear them better though. It's a one-sided deal. Anyone I group with who expresses that they can't hear me (and my mic is all the way up, I'm as loud as I can get...the individual slider bars on party members were designed to tone down people like me talking to people who have their audio set up properly, because it comes across way too loud, but I'm overcompensating for people who haven't balanced their audio properly yet.)

Last edited:

Gimp-1

Just use Discord and no more issues. Went to it years ago an will not go back to the terrible in game audio chat. You can eaither use discord or not be heard.

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
I have all in-game audio settings set to something like 0.03, and voice is all maxed at 1.00. Some voice chat is fine, but lots of it is still super quiet.
When people complained about that years ago we got the option to manually LOWER the volume for individuals even more.

axel15810

Discord is pretty much mandatory for DDO nowadays if you want to voice chat with your party. It's sad that this is the case, but it is. If the devs can't fix the fail to connect to chat bug and improve the audio levels and quality of DDO's current built in voicechat SSG should just integrate discord into the game to replace it. I don't know if this is possible with DDO, and maybe it's not for a host of technical reasons, but I do know other games have discord integration.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
In game text chat isn't much better at times. DDO discord is constantly lit up with posts about disconnects from chat server; some folks saying they'll go days without being able to use in game chat. Mine usually only goes out when swapping characters, but from complaints I see, it seems like a few folks have more serious issues with it.

Gimp-1

Best part about discord is it doesnt crash like the game client does. Thus you can communicate to the party that your client crashed and you are relogging.

SiliconScout

I never understood why they just didn't integrate the discord API with DDO for the ingame chat, or at least allow that as a selectable option.

Discord is much better but if you are playing with Rando's it would take longer to get everyone in and working than it would to just run the quest in silence most of the time.

rabidfox

The People's Champion
I never understood why they just didn't integrate the discord API with DDO for the ingame chat, or at least allow that as a selectable option.

Discord is much better but if you are playing with Rando's it would take longer to get everyone in and working than it would to just run the quest in silence most of the time.
They don't own discord. Better to have a built in solution they own (even if it's dated) and let people use whatever popular 3rd party app they want. Then in a decade or two when discord is dated and not being used, DDO isn't effected.

erethizon1

Just do what I do and turn it off completely. 🙃
Seriously. Unless you have the voice of a D&D voice actor your voice is immersion breaking anyway. Just type like we've done for the last 25 years if you have something to say. Having voice off also cuts down a lot on negativity as people are rarely as willing to type out all the garbage they are saying.

erethizon1

In game text chat isn't much better at times. DDO discord is constantly lit up with posts about disconnects from chat server; some folks saying they'll go days without being able to use in game chat. Mine usually only goes out when swapping characters, but from complaints I see, it seems like a few folks have more serious issues with it.
I've been getting hit with this a lot more lately, but still prefer it to voice chat. Just have to send a tell letting the party know your chat isn't working for now.

SiliconScout

They don't own discord. Better to have a built in solution they own (even if it's dated) and let people use whatever popular 3rd party app they want. Then in a decade or two when discord is dated and not being used, DDO isn't effected.
You don't need to own discord to be able to do that they have an SDK for exactly this Discord SDK. It's pretty straight forward really. Heck I am not even sure if there's a requirement for licensing but even if there was then they could license their coms through it. Make it a toggle option if you want even so their in game chat client could still be used for those who don't have or want a discord ID.

Given the state of their in game chat (mostly works but quality is usually garbage / an issue) I am not sure that I would call that "better" in any way shape or form.

At this point Discord is just about to celebrate 10 years in business and from all accounts is doing well financially. The idea that somehow DDO which is used regularly but substantially less than 10,000 paying players is somehow going to last 10 or 20 years and somehow discord that has over 200,000 paying users and tens of millions of daily users would not doesn't really track for me. Honestly it doesn't make sense.

Again I don't see how it would be a bad thing to allow it as a selectable option as it would provide discord's quality and stability.