Time to Remove the IPS -20% Penalty

FixBows

So now that we have ranged AOE damage functioning the way it should at 100%, I believe it is appropriate to remove the -20% damage penalty to IPS. Since the nerf to what was holding everything back, the Hunt's End shot (and the previously killed Adrenaline shot) have been removed from the game, there should be no reasonable reason to keep the -20% damage to IPS. I hope this was simple an oversight and not a continued bias against IPS / ranged, so add that to the next sprint and let's get this resolved.

Ahpuch

It should have been removed when Archer's Focus got to the ability to get to 25 stacks. Forgoing that is big enough cost.

I would be fine if the fix to remove -20% IPS penalty also include a change that going to IPS from Archer's Focus immediately cleared the AF benefit rather than letting it tick down over time.

Kimbere

So now that we have ranged AOE damage functioning the way it should at 100%, I believe it is appropriate to remove the -20% damage penalty to IPS. Since the nerf to what was holding everything back, the Hunt's End shot (and the previously killed Adrenaline shot) have been removed from the game, there should be no reasonable reason to keep the -20% damage to IPS. I hope this was simple an oversight and not a continued bias against IPS / ranged, so add that to the next sprint and let's get this resolved.
You know not what you're asking.

Do you realize that almost every time they've touched ranged DPS in the past few years, regardless of the reason for touching it, it ends up being a nerf in one form or another? Sure, maybe they improve one aspect but for whatever dumb reason they seem hellbent on always nerfing some other aspect of ranged DPS when they do.

Adding AoE but simultaneously nerfing Hunt's End burst damage by >40% for example. Even the *benefit* gained from the addition of AoE was very disproportionate between different ranged build types. Some classes got a lot of AoE options, others got very little.

Remember the Inquisitives disaster? "Internal testing shows us OG Inquisitives are exactly where we want them to be" then 6 months later, "Oopsie! Inquisitives were stupidly god-tier OP'd and must be fixed immediately!"

How'd they fix Inquisitives? They nerfed the Inquisitive tree specifically but also nerfed every other aspect of all ranged DPS to the tune of a >30% reduction across the board. This wrecked archers, gxbow, repeating xbow, and thrower builds. They did that just to fix one universal enhancement tree...

Granted, they do the same sort of stuff with other types of DPS occasionally, but for some reason it's usually to a lesser degree. I suspect they have at least a marginally better understanding of the other DPS types than they do ranged.

Although recently, DPS casters seem to be getting the ranged DPS "balance" treatment (aka nuke from orbit with extreme prejudice) so maybe I'm wrong about their level of understanding.

FixBows

You know not what you're asking.

Do you realize that almost every time they've touched ranged DPS in the past few years, regardless of the reason for touching it, it ends up being a nerf in one form or another? Sure, maybe they improve one aspect but for whatever dumb reason they seem hellbent on always nerfing some other aspect of ranged DPS when they do.

Adding AoE but simultaneously nerfing Hunt's End burst damage by >40% for example. Even the *benefit* gained from the addition of AoE was very disproportionate between different ranged build types. Some classes got a lot of AoE options, others got very little.

Remember the Inquisitives disaster? "Internal testing shows us OG Inquisitives are exactly where we want them to be" then 6 months later, "Oopsie! Inquisitives were stupidly god-tier OP'd and must be fixed immediately!"

How'd they fix Inquisitives? They nerfed the Inquisitive tree specifically but also nerfed every other aspect of all ranged DPS to the tune of a >30% reduction across the board. This wrecked archers, gxbow, repeating xbow, and thrower builds. They did that just to fix one universal enhancement tree...

Granted, they do the same sort of stuff with other types of DPS occasionally, but for some reason it's usually to a lesser degree. I suspect they have at least a marginally better understanding of the other DPS types than they do ranged.

Although recently, DPS casters seem to be getting the ranged DPS "balance" treatment (aka nuke from orbit with extreme prejudice) so maybe I'm wrong about their level of understanding.
Oh, I am well aware. Disregard my join date for these forums. I have been around since manyshot was a stance in beta. My point here is to bring this to light and say... "hey, now what?" I think SSG wants us to forget the explanations for prior nerfs and go with the current line of bull The explanation was originally manyshot was too powerful, then they nerfed/changed that, then it was IPS was too powerful, so they nerfed IPS, left it for dead with a hollow promise of things to come... Then things came, they removed Adrenaline + shot, and then they removed Hunt's End shots and gave us a miniscule AOE.

I am well aware of the nerfs. I suffered through all of them. I recently unsubscribed as a VIP (was since 2006) as a result of the last round of garbage they fed us. SSG, and Turbine before them, will never give us a straight answer on what their issue is with ranged. Is there some sort of hurt feelings of how it was originally implemented so now whomever is still on the team from back then is hell bent on removing it all? I have no idea. All I see is nerf after nerf with no apparent logic. So, I try to interject logic and see if someone at SSG can finally wake up and say to themselves... "you know, this isn't right". They are doing all they can to keep ranged down while casters run wild in terms of unmitigated dps from range without consequence either... That old argument holds no water now either since casters are buffed to be self-sufficient with unlimited spell points thanks to lost souls that liter reaper quests, SLAs and various other ways to conserve SP.

Kimbere

Oh, I am well aware. Disregard my join date for these forums. I have been around since manyshot was a stance in beta. My point here is to bring this to light and say... "hey, now what?" I think SSG wants us to forget the explanations for prior nerfs and go with the current line of bull The explanation was originally manyshot was too powerful, then they nerfed/changed that, then it was IPS was too powerful, so they nerfed IPS, left it for dead with a hollow promise of things to come... Then things came, they removed Adrenaline + shot, and then they removed Hunt's End shots and gave us a miniscule AOE.

I am well aware of the nerfs. I suffered through all of them. I recently unsubscribed as a VIP (was since 2006) as a result of the last round of garbage they fed us. SSG, and Turbine before them, will never give us a straight answer on what their issue is with ranged. Is there some sort of hurt feelings of how it was originally implemented so now whomever is still on the team from back then is hell bent on removing it all? I have no idea. All I see is nerf after nerf with no apparent logic. So, I try to interject logic and see if someone at SSG can finally wake up and say to themselves... "you know, this isn't right". They are doing all they can to keep ranged down while casters run wild in terms of unmitigated dps from range without consequence either... That old argument holds no water now either since casters are buffed to be self-sufficient with unlimited spell points thanks to lost souls that liter reaper quests, SLAs and various other ways to conserve SP.
Many people, myself included, have repeatedly tried to use logic, facts and numbers combined with years of playing the game at a reasonably high level when reasoning with SSG while asking them to abort or rollback excessive nerfs over the years.

As the saying goes, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

For the most part, I gave up hope on them listening to reason a long time ago and no longer expect different results.

Last edited:

kmoustakas

Scourge of Xaos
I think they will never change IPS and use lag as an excuse.

I'm sure it's some devs pet peeve, they just hate IPS and convinced everyone over there that it's the reason DDO sucks.

Ahpuch

I think they will never change IPS and use lag as an excuse.

I'm sure it's some devs pet peeve, they just hate IPS and convinced everyone over there that it's the reason DDO sucks.
And yet 100% dmg on IPS will reduce mob count faster and reduce pathing calcs. They should remove the penalty to reduce lag.

Of course you are correct and they won't make the change.

Zvdegor

Melee Artificer Freak
Change IPS to be a ranged AoE attack so ranged can be properly balanced with melee already.
I like this idea but IPS is a feat and the ranged shots are enhancement and epic destiny abilities.
It would be more logical to me if IPS as afeat would have a damage % boost on all AOE shots, at least if you use a feat slot for your build.
Something like a +10% AOE damage boost or similar.
Or if IPS would reduse all of the AoE shot's cooldown a bit
Or bigger AOE range

Last edited:

bleach

while they are at it also bring old pin back, at least with old pin you could dance more than 1 mob if you lined em up properly, now you are lucky to dance 2 if they are so close they could be holding hands. The new aoe effect on it is not only useless it has made it worse as it is no longer affected by ips

Stoner81

They should remove all the Doubleshot penalties while they are at it since all that works completely differently now!

Stoner81.

droid327

Many people, myself included, have repeatedly tried to use logic, facts and numbers combined with years of playing the game at a reasonably high level when reasoning with SSG while asking them to abort or rollback excessive nerfs over the years.

As the saying goes, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

For the most part, I gave up hope on them listening to reason a long time ago and no longer expect different results.
Countepoint...what has proven effective at getting the devs to change something is enough people complaining about it loud enough, over and over

Both IPS and Dshot penalties on RXB/DXB are indefensible and can be deleted next patch